• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

UHD Blu-ray Question

DGMurdockIII    4

Do you guys think I should upgrade my current HTPC witch can currently play Blu-ray and DVDs to be be able to play UHD Blu Ray or just get a stand alone UHD blu ray player

Edited by Jason S.
Edited title for accuracy

The Evil Overlord    18,442
9 minutes ago, DGMurdockIII said:

Do you guys think I should upgrade my current HTPC witch can play Blu-ray disk, DVD, and

Nope, but then again, it's your money.

• Like 4

DGMurdockIII    4

Update post

The Evil Overlord    18,442

If you're going to go UHD, I'd throw a vote to upgrade the htpc (I assume you have full 5.1 (7.1) Dolby in it already

unless it doesn't matter

Standalones do support streaming from your pc, but in my experience, they've always been beaten by the humble ps3 or xbox360

they both have their pro's and cons,

if it were my money, I'd upgrade the drive in the htpc, but that's me

• Like 4

Jason S.    1,540
7 hours ago, DGMurdockIII said:

Do you guys think I should upgrade my current HTPC witch can currently play Blu-ray and DVDs to be be able to play UHD Blu Ray or just get a stand alone UHD blu ray player

in its current form, playing UHD blu-rays on an HTPC has a lot of caveats. You need a specific motherboard that supports Intels SGX extensions. You need a specific CPU from Intel as well. Then you need a iGPU or dGPU that supports HDMI2.0a and HDCP2.2. Of course, you need a specific drive that's certified to play UHD blu-ray. Pioneer has one for $269. Finally, you need PowerDVD 17 which just launched and costs $99.

as you can see it makes way more sense to just get a standalone player for like $200.

DGMurdockIII    4

Ok

DGMurdockIII    4

Then what Ultra Blu-ray player should I get even a Xbox one s would be OK if it's the best one

Steven P.    14,997
On 5/22/2017 at 7:02 AM, DGMurdockIII said:

Then what Ultra Blu-ray player should I get even a Xbox one s would be OK if it's the best one

I have the Sony BDP-S7200 which is on sale here in The Netherlands (now €169 but I paid €175 for it two weeks ago), it has quite a lot going for it as a standalone player (3D 4K/UHD - Super(?) WiFi / apps).

Or if you are willing to spend a bit more go for the Xbox One S which are also coming down in price due to the Xbox Scorpio release coming up at the end of the year - but I'd advise against that cost if you are just looking for a Blu-Ray player with app support for things like Netflix.