Tesla Semi, Roadster, Pickup

Jerome Guillen, Tesla’s VP of Vehicle Programs, is in charge of the Semi truck program. Before Tesla he was in charge of Daimler’s Cascadia semi-truck program.

Edited by DocM

Oh man - Cant wait to see the next gen Roadster, and the idea of a Tesla pickup....  my puddle of drool is already starting.

If it looks even remotely cool, I think at least 30% of the people in Southlake will be driving one of those Tesla pickups

• 2 weeks later...

True.  In fact, you could base one on the Metris (Mercedes-Benz commercial van chassis) or Sprinter (Dodge and Freightliner commercial van chassis), which I'm surprised Freightliner or Mercedes has NOT done - both are popular for commercial and even residential usage. (Sprinter - residential use?  Yes - any and every use that requires high-top van roofs, and not all of them are commercial, though a lot are.)  Sprinter did NOT leave with Dodge when the Chrysler brands went to Fiat - it stayed with Freightliner and DTNA, where it was sourced.  There are a lot of possibilities where a mostly-green (or all-green) commercial-grade van makes sense - such as where you need greater carry capacity than the John Deere Gator or anything from Bombardier Recreation - which fill that role now.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Tesla semi introduction has been put off until October 26th.

Musk as a major BFR** and interplanetary Spaceship presentation on September 29th in Australia, and there are several other SpaceX related things starting with doubleheader launches on October 7th and 9th.. 

** Big F***ing Rocket (seriously!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, John. said:

Also, Surprise Roadster!

5a0e86dbb87af_ScreenShot2017-11-17at06_50_29.thumb.png.dcca849200e3e04843c7c0580fb0b195.png

https://www.tesla.com/roadster/

The quickest car in the world, with record-setting acceleration, range and performance.

1.9s - 0-60 mph

+250mph - Top Speed

620 Mile Range

Oh sweet jesus that is insanely fast.

Basically a McLaren 720S mixed with an NSX - with the performance of a freaking dragster - me likey !

Tesla Semi 

4 motors 
0-60 in 5 seconds, 0-60 in 20s with an 80klb load (36.287 tonnes)
Super aerodynamic 
Up to 500 mile range (804.7 km)
Center-seated driver 
Cab interior 6' 6" high (1.981m)
Comes in space gray 
$5000 for a reservation 
Production in 2019

3 hours ago, DocM said:

Tesla Semi 

4 motors 
0-60 in 5 seconds, 0-60 in 20s with an 80klb load (36.287 tonnes)
Super aerodynamic 
Up to 500 mile range (804.7 km)
Center-seated driver 
Cab interior 6' 6" high (1.981m)
Comes in space gray 
$5000 for a reservation 
Production in 2019

it's this bit im unsure of,  they give a 0-60 for with an without a load on the back. But they don't say what this range is?

24 minutes ago, anthdci said:

it's this bit im unsure of,  they give a 0-60 for with an without a load on the back. But they don't say what this range is?

There's a screenshot of the Dash display showing something like 700 miles +. Unsure whether this is just a demo, for the cab on its own, or a Plus model coming later.

On 11/17/2017 at 4:40 AM, anthdci said:

They mention the load in the keynote, I think it is 500+  

They mention a lot of things that make it useful for transportation companies, environment, and resource consumption - and it all sounds great - and I hope he can keep it going  and force the industry to, at the very least, become less reliable on petrol.  But the one thing I thought of when he was talking was, admittedly small-minded & completely ethnocentric...  was the fact that you dont have to move around them when you're behind them @ a light.  
Light turns green and the semi infront gains speed @ a snail's pace.  5 minutes later you're @ the speed limit.  Now, they are just as responsive as other cars. (no need to hurry and switch to the adjacent lane when you pull up on a red light and see a truck in front of you.)

Besides the fact they look cool (and I love that cockpit shot @DocMposted)...

As far as the performance specs of the Roadster - :drool:

The 500 mile Semi range is with an 80,000 lb load (Class 8 max) going 65 mph. Further, it can climb a 5% grade at 65 mph with a full load. 

Smaller loads/lower speeds = much more range, and our son-in-law says he gets a max load less than 10% of the time. 

Not to mention that the new Tesla MegaCharger can take Semi to an 80% charge in 30 minutes.

Wal-Mart has reserved 15 for it's test fleet, 10 in Canada and 5 in the US. The Canadian winter tests should be informative.

J.B. Hunt, a major US trucking company, has reserved "several" for its test fleet. 

Meijer, a midwestern hypermarket chain (most stores are larger than a Wal-Mart), has reserved several for testing in its fleet. 

Then there was the concept image, shown at the introduction, of a Tesla Pickup based on the Semi hauling another pickup - 

Jason Cruickshank @JayCruicks_ATC
Replying to @elonmusk
Can we get a light duty pickup next?

Elon Musk ✔@elonmusk
What if we just made a mini version of the Tesla Semi?
It's a pickup truck that can carry a pickup truck
>
You'll actually be able to legally drive that with a drivers license. Its kind of wrong, but I like it.

Tesla_Pickup-Nov17a.thumb.jpg.e9295ed33d20b6c2d999d4d243a08fda.jpg

As for the Roadster, it appears 0-60 in 1.9 seconds is not its Ludicrous Mode :woot:

Edited by DocM

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Oohkayyyyy.... ?

I'm guessing they're decorative items since Roadster 2 is slated to do 0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds with a top end of 250 mph. Range: 600+ miles. Severely upgraded battery cells.

tesla-roadster-2-shareholders-meeting-3-660x495.thumb.jpg.4de19edf5b083015075afef9a40cd594.jpg

Edited by DocM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We didn't have a specific topic for the Tesla 3, but I managed to get a tour of one the other day. The two pics that I managed to snap on my phone. 

IMG_20180713_105236.thumb.jpg.b3dcf3378ef4b51a2c96539532ff2f11.jpgIMG_20180713_110310.thumb.jpg.3e9d5f2a6a8fe4fc0eab2a2e6865710b.jpg

The lack of physical controls is a little bonkers.