BT home hub blocking VPN?

I use OpenVPN and had no issues when i was with sky.

Switched to BT, got their home hub 4, Open VPN worked fine for a few weeks until 3 days ago, when i tried connecting using OpenVPN the hub switched off, restarted and now i can no longer connect using Open VPN.

I'm pretty sure it's the BT home hub that is causing the problem, anything i can do about it??

Have you tried turning on "Port Clamping" in the Advanced Settings. 

http://192.168.1.1/0000013200/gui/#/broadband/vpn

On that page. 

There could be a million and one things though, Give us more detail. You say you are using OpenVPN, What provider or roll your own? 

I'm a bit new to VPN's, so (i know it's not secure) i use FreeVPN certificates and their servers to connect to.

Connecting using any of the provided certificates i get 

UDP: Connection reset by peer (WSAECONNRESET) (code=10054)

over and over. 

then i'll get 

TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
Fatal TLS error (check_tls_errors_co), restarting

What exactly? So why use one then? Anyway did you try what I said on the BT Home Hub? Which home hub version it? I have the latest one recently due to where I am living, I had the one previously. They are a bit fisher price but generally OK for the average home users. I am planning on replacing it with a Dreytek modem asap. Anyway I digress. I have tried to use openVPN and it seems to connect fine, That is just a roll your own type VPN though with the VPN client on the iPhone...

Give us some more info and we might be able to help...

Either that or geo location circumvention to watch __insert_fav_stream_company__

Are they trying to make the home hub a client to a vpn service, one they rolled their own?  Trying to use it as a server?  Or they just have a client behind their HT that is trying to connect to a vpn service or a DIY system they have running somewhere.. Just at a complete loss to what they are doing.

I find it hard to believe that just trying to connect to a vpn "through" the BT home hub would crash it??

If I had to guess - which I am because nothing the OP has stated actually makes any sense.. He is trying to some free vpn service?  Have no idea what free certs not being secure means?  Again just at a complete loss to what is happening or even being attempted here..  So with John - going to need some more details if you want any help.

"UDP: Connection reset by peer (WSAECONNRESET) (code=10054)"

To me that is that he can not talk to the openvpn server on UDP.. so what port are you trying to use on UDP the standard part 1194 for openvpn?  Have you tried a different port - have you tried tcp?  Yes after you can not connect your going to get errors about how the tls timedout, etc.  This is because you are not actually connected to the server..

Its quite possible his new isp is blocking the port he is using.  Or since behind a nat router using NAPT that the port he is trying to use already in use by some other client? going through the router.. Rebooting of the router should clear up any states for UDP that might be in use to allow him to connect to whatever port his vpn server he is trying to connect too, etc.

On 4/16/2017 at 2:28 AM, BudMan said:

What??  You completely lost me..

mostly vpn/tor is useful just to fool some sites. at big scale (to hide your id), it's useless. your isp can run attack in the middle on you (if they need to).

Dude I know what a vpn is used for by the masses.. That has zero to do with understanding the the OP is actually doing..

Everyone knows that both the home hub and virgin's equivalent are pretty bad but I'm yet to hear of anything like this. There is (well was anyway, last time I checked a few years ago and VM didn't care less about it so I'd guess still present) a problem with having persistent open TCP/UDP connections and the vm 'superhub' or ****tyhub as I call it would just close them - wronglyfully - without even sending the right connection closed packets. A VPN crashing a home hub sounds rather unlikely, if your HH reset maybe the firmware is damaged, download and update the firmware on the device and try again. If you really want to know if it's that causing problems remove the homehub from the equation completely and use a different VDSL2 router e.g. the hauwei one BT used to ship using the generic BT pppoe login details and test with that.