Need Help Choosing a New Monitor

So many options and confusing with straight, curved, high refresh rate. Looking for a recommendation for a new monitor to replace my current 24" widescreen. The main use for the monitor:

• Photo editing
  • Gaming
  • Video editing
  • Office/Work (need two for this purpose)

System specs in signature including graphics card

Well you aren't going to find a decent monitor for all of those needs across the board.

Need to know price range also.

$500 G-Sync Dell is good for gaming, but color and panel are not good for Photo Editing, you'd need an Ultrasharp model for that, then you lose the high refresh rates.

So you are kind of asking for an all-in-one monitor that does everything which you probably won't find, at least for under $600

I wouldnt lose any sleep over a curved panel, you notice the curve for oooh first 5 mins.....its a daft gimmick ;)

My 27" samsung is a curve....after the first day ive never noticed it again. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Well you aren't going to find a decent monitor for all of those needs across the board.

Need to know price range also.

$500 G-Sync Dell is good for gaming, but color and panel are not good for Photo Editing, you'd need an Ultrasharp model for that, then you lose the high refresh rates.

So you are kind of asking for an all-in-one monitor that does everything which you probably won't find, at least for under $600

I did not mention a price as its not a major limitation

47 minutes ago, Mando said:

I wouldnt lose any sleep over a curved panel, you notice the curve for oooh first 5 mins.....its a daft gimmick ;)

My 27" samsung is a curve....after the first day ive never noticed it again. 

Thanks for the opinion on this

24 minutes ago, patseguin said:

I have a 27" LG 4K monitor I bought at Best Buy and love it.

I was looking at the LG, Samsungs wasn't too keen on the Asus range

There are two different UE590s - 24" FreeSync (which I am considering due to its size - it would replace a 23" TN) and the 28" G-SYNC that is $50 pricier (in addition to being larger).  I don't have that much jonesing for the G-SYNC model (despite that I would be using the EVGA Superclocked GTX1050Ti to drive the display).  Right now, local is pricier than Amazon - however, Amazon has a grand total of ONE left (and I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger just yet).

Also, if you need VESA support, you will want the 24E590D or 28E590D - these two models support VESA mounting; the 24D590D and 28D590D do not.  (For me, it's a non-issue, since I'll be using the included stand.)

6 hours ago, Premgenius said:

I did not mention a price as its not a major limitation

Thanks for the opinion on this

I was looking at the LG, Samsungs wasn't too keen on the Asus range

I had. Samsung 4K I got at Best Buy and returned it for the LG. The Samsung was ok but a tn panel which I didn't like since I was coming from a Dell 1440p ips. The LG is ips and it's stunning.

8 hours ago, Premgenius said:

So many options and confusing with straight, curved, high refresh rate. Looking for a recommendation for a new monitor to replace my current 24" widescreen. The main use for the monitor:

• Photo editing
  • Gaming
  • Video editing
  • Office/Work (need two for this purpose)

System specs in signature including graphics card

http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UC88

I have 3 32 inch Samsung curved monitors, (not sure of the model number as they're mounted now and I didn't care at the time) they're only 2k, but they were £280 each

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/samsung-c32f391-full-hd-32-curved-led-monitor-10146161-pdt.html

^ Very similar to that one, but in black

My wife does a lot of photo editing and graphic design, we've never felt limited by them, and for gaming, they're good also

• Like 4

10 hours ago, xendrome said:

My recommendation for IPS - http://a.co/8rj6LqW

Recommendation for TN - http://a.co/0sraOT0

9 hours ago, PGHammer said:

There are two different UE590s - 24" FreeSync (which I am considering due to its size - it would replace a 23" TN) and the 28" G-SYNC that is $50 pricier (in addition to being larger).  I don't have that much jonesing for the G-SYNC model (despite that I would be using the EVGA Superclocked GTX1050Ti to drive the display).  Right now, local is pricier than Amazon - however, Amazon has a grand total of ONE left (and I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger just yet).

Also, if you need VESA support, you will want the 24E590D or 28E590D - these two models support VESA mounting; the 24D590D and 28D590D do not.  (For me, it's a non-issue, since I'll be using the included stand.)

3 hours ago, patseguin said:

I had. Samsung 4K I got at Best Buy and returned it for the LG. The Samsung was ok but a tn panel which I didn't like since I was coming from a Dell 1440p ips. The LG is ips and it's stunning.

3 hours ago, TPreston said:

3 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I have 3 32 inch Samsung curved monitors, (not sure of the model number as they're mounted now and I didn't care at the time) they're only 2k, but they were £280 each

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/samsung-c32f391-full-hd-32-curved-led-monitor-10146161-pdt.html

^ Very similar to that one, but in black

My wife does a lot of photo editing and graphic design, we've never felt limited by them, and for gaming, they're good also

thanks for the recommendations will looking these. I see that many of the LGs and Samsungs have FreeSync but I have an nvidia card so I believe I won't be able to use this feature unless its and AMD graphics card but that should not cause any other issues as I understand, cam I correct?

• Like 1

Hello,

What size monitor would you like, and what would be the preferred/native resolution?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9 hours ago, Premgenius said:

thanks for the recommendations will looking these. I see that many of the LGs and Samsungs have FreeSync but I have an nvidia card so I believe I won't be able to use this feature unless its and AMD graphics card but that should not cause any other issues as I understand, cam I correct?

I'm rock I 2 nvidia cards myself, not had any issues of any kind, to be honest, I didn't even realise there might have been an issue with freesync

• Like 4

9 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

What size monitor would you like, and what would be the preferred/native resolution?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Defo larger then 24"

9 hours ago, Xahid said:

Asus recently launch its Gaming FullHD Monitor

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VG245Q/

Leaning away from Asus more towards LG & Samsung

1 hour ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I'm rock I 2 nvidia cards myself, not had any issues of any kind, to be honest, I didn't even realise there might have been an issue with freesync

Thanks for the feedback on this

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Premgenius said:

Leaning away from Asus more towards LG & Samsung

Thanks for the feedback on this

Why are you leaning away from ASUS ?  They make some good stuff.

The PB278Q ( I had 2 of them) is a great monitor.

They have had some QC issues with their gaming monitors, and IPS panels have the white bleeding around the edge - but that is an IPS issue, not an ASUS issue.

But - if you want to stick with Samsung and LG - nothing wrong with that.

Dell's Ultrasharps are great all around monitors - gamers will balk @ the refresh rates - but you need a good all around monitor - Ultrasharps are that in spades.

If you want to pony up for some real monitors ...

Dell has a 30 OLED @ $5000
32" 8K @ $3500

:D

First of all, narrow it down to an IPS monitor.  You'll thank yourself for that.

And if you're serious about the photo editing thing, then might as well go with a Dell.  They seem to be top tier for monitors aimed at media use.

If price matters, then LG may be your next best bet.

• Like 1

I have a Samsung 34" S34E790C that I bought last year. Been fine for my needs, which are few.

I also got a Samsung 24" C24F390 a month ago.

Both are wide and curved. They are also refurbs, but I had a lot of refurb LED monitors that I liked.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I have a Samsung 34" S34E790C that I bought last year. Been fine for my needs, which are few.

I also got a Samsung 24" C24F390 a month ago.

Both are wide and curved. They are also refurbs, but I had a lot of refurb LED monitors that I liked.

Seconded, I've had to buy refurbs in the past due to past financial situations, I only got rid of them because I could afford to

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Seconded, I've had to buy refurbs in the past due to past financial situations, I only got rid of them because I could afford to

Yep. After I bought my 34", I sold my 2x 24" screens, that were also refurbs.

• Like 1

I've been looking at the Dell more then the LGs because of the higher resolution will check out the Asus range tonight, it will definitely be a IPS and curve screen might not be a bad idea seeing as I sit close to the monitor like many of you guys. I'll have a look around for refurbs not seen any myself.

I just realised I may have held some on to some vital information :shiftyninja: about my gaming, I play FSX more that changes things significantly as its not like a FPS where is fast movement that needs the high refresh rate. 

Got it down to LG 34UC88 and the Dell U3417W, much look same except FreeSync which is of no use to me and the price between the two, thoughts on these?

Had a look at the ASUS ROG Swift Curved PG348Q but the price for me is not justifiable :|