How do I setup VPN on my router

I have cable internet through comcast.

I am using ARRIS SurfBoard SB6183 modem and ddwrt firmware based router. 

The Ethernet cable from the modem is attached to the Wan port on the router.

Everything is set to default settings as I don't know much about networking.

I have looked up how to vpn, but having a hard time setting it up.

I tried to change a few settings in the ddwrt firmware the other day, and ended up not having internet until i reset my router.

Looking for some directions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Are you wanting the ability to connect to your LAN from anywhere, or do you have a VPN service you'd like to implement on the router (as opposed to config'd in Windows) ?

If the 2nd one - may I ask why..  Please do not buy into the tinfoil hat hype that you need a freaking vpn.. Are you wanting to watch US netflix from elsewhere?  Or are you wanting to stream BBC from the US? 

If your doing torrents - dude just take the money you would spend on a vpn and get a seedbox..

Oh well that I am all for!!!

I would hope your using openvpn and not pptp - which has been dead and not secure for 5+ years.

Have you gone over

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VPN_(the_easy_way)_v24%2B

As of DD-WRT v.24 SP1, it is now possible to set up DD-WRT as an OpenVPN appliance using only the web-based GUI. It is no longer necessary to issue shell commands, or to echo quoted certificates and config files using a shell script.

This Tutorial shows how to set up an OpenVPN Server on DD-WRT and his clients on either Desktop PCs or another DD-WRT box.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys and @BudMan, I got a new router dlink 885l, the default  firmware has a VPN feature. 

I looked at the instruction, http://www.dlink.co.id/how-do-i-set-up-the-quick-vpn-feature-on-my-dir-885l-router/ . The setup seems a lot easier than the DDWRT firmware VPN setup.

Are the VPN same - same protocols, etc...? It just looked too easy on the dlink default firmware. 

Well, yeah, all DNS servers use pretty much the same protocol. OpenVPN is the simpleist program to use. Secondly, ask your VPN provider. They helped me a lot on sketchy things.

Well, looking at the vpn instructions from dd wrt link from budman's post, it is overwhelming for me.

But the link i had above from dlink, it is completely different so I am not sure what going on.

The vpn in use on your dlink is L2TP/IPsec based vs over SSL like openvpn.  While its secure and fine - the issue your going to have is a find it almost impossible to believe it will be open from say your place of work..   And it may or may not work from hotspots like starbucks or internet cafe, etc.

Alll comes down to the setup at the location your at.. Hotels for example to use such vpn sometimes you need their premium wifi vs the free or low cost since they give you public IP vs behind a NAT which can cause issues with that sort of vpn..

Does your dlink run openvpn?  If so then you can run on port 443 tcp vs default udp 1194 and pretty much 100% no matter where your at you can use the vpn since if internet is available at the location your at, then tcp 443 is going to be open..  Shoot openvpn even works over a proxy.. Good luck getting L2TP/IPsec to work over a proxy ;)

I opted to run OpenVPN via PiVPN on a tiny virtual box on my server. It was stupid simple to setup. The hardest part was getting the OVPN file out of the virtual machine. I basically downloaded the dietpie virtual box image and installed PiVPN into that. It's been working great ever since.

The virtual machine uses .7% -.9%  CPU on a Pentium J3710 and only  60 megs of ram.

http://kamilslab.com/2017/01/22/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-home-vpn-server-using-pivpn/

http://dietpi.com/#noAction downloads / pc/vms