Experts excited by brain 'wonder-drug'

Unfortunately we're not talking about something out of Limitless, but this is incredible news if it comes to fruition.

Experts excited by brain 'wonder-drug'

By James GallagherHealth and science reporter, BBC News website

Scientists hope they have found a drug to stop all neurodegenerative brain diseases, including dementia.

In 2013, a UK Medical Research Council team stopped brain cells dying in an animal for the first time, creating headline news around the world.

But the compound used was unsuitable for people, as it caused organ damage.

Now two drugs have been found that should have the same protective effect on the brain and are already safely used in people.

Source and more

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I really hope it comes to fruition. I wouldn't wish what I went through with my mum on anyone, even my most hated enemy.

When I witnessed my grandfather suffer through the horrible stages of Alzheimer's, and how my grandmother had to put her life on hold because she soon found herself caring for a child again, I wanted to become a Dr to find the cure.  It is an absolutely horrible thing to see.

The progression from confusion and forgetfulness, to mass confusion, losing the ability to speak, then having to call 911 to ask the police and fire dept to get my grandfather out of a tree because he decided to climb it @ 75 years old.  My grandmother didn't realize she was being eaten alive by cancer the whole time, she was too busy taking care of him to go get herself checked out.

They were once pretty well off, and their once vast savings, and investments, and sizable assets all reduced to next to nothing when my grandmother died.

Just horrible.  I hope they find a cure.

My family used to be substantial donors to CF & Alzheimer's research - but we always wish we could have done more.

• Like 4

IMO, it's just about the worst kind of disease there is.. Sure there are others that take lives and they're horrible, but dementia, Alzheimer's, all the neurological diseases there are. They take away the PERSON first, then kills them later. There's nothing more horrific than that.

The only things that could be considered worse are those that cause "lock in", where a person is left aware but unable to communicate...

• Like 4

Over the course of my life I have hoped for several things that medical science could deal with properly. Neurodegenerative diseases like these are on that list -- and while I accept that this finding isn't likely to be the cure, it's certainly a stepping stone towards that cure and I'm happy to see progress. Even if these medicines serve to stop further degeneration they can be called "successful".

Cautiously optimistic. :yes:

• Like 2