• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Unexplained Blue Screens Since Creator Update

Recommended Posts

JustinUK    0

Has anyone else experienced strange blue screens since the update.

 

I installed this morning and I've had THREE blue screens since despite not having any issues before installing the Update.

 

Event viewer shows (Error info)
15:56:20: The operating system started at system time ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎20 T15:56:20.491962200Z.
15:56:22: Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.
15:56:26: The previous system shutdown at 15:55:50 on ‎20/‎04/‎2017 was unexpected.

 

There are no entries for the hour in event viewer before these ones, or anything after it that gives any clue as what is causing it, I've seen the same happen THREE times now and still none the wiser as what is causing it, and it happens when the machine is under light load, normal or heavy load. 

 

Normally I'd expect to see something before 15:55:50 showing something to have failed that caused the shutdown, but there is nothing there and since the dump wasn't created either, I have no idea what is causing it.

 

Of course the simple fix is to roll back, but I wondered if anyone could shed any light on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xendrome    5,490

1: going to need the .dmp files

2: What video card? If Nvidia did you upgrade to the latest drivers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JustinUK    0

There isn't any DMP files from the blue screen

 

It isn't able to create any hence the event viewer log:

Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation. 


It's a HP Spectre X360 with Intel HD5500 Graphics.

 

Certainly isn't temperature related or anything like that, seems to be independent of CPU or system load. 

Edited by JustinUK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JustinUK    0

Had another 3 blue screens at random times.

 

Had all sorts of my own hardware logging running to rule out CPU/HEAT/RAM/SSD and removed all USB and external displays and made no differrence. 

 

Rolled back to pre-creator update - system stable once more.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
T3X4S    4,532

I had one, havent looked @ .dmp - I knew it was a one-off kind of thing, so I didnt sweat it.

UPDATE:

I ran whocrashed cause Im lazy - just your avg run of the mill CU / nVidia crash
Capture.thumb.PNG.7df9f8b0b6232998a992de61855f5d7d.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,152
11 hours ago, JustinUK said:

There isn't any DMP files from the blue screen

 

It isn't able to create any hence the event viewer log:

Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation. 


It's a HP Spectre X360 with Intel HD5500 Graphics.

 

Certainly isn't temperature related or anything like that, seems to be independent of CPU or system load. 

If it fails during dmp creation, its more than likely ram or ssd related. If rolling back made you stable, I'd wager IRS drivers needed to be updated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JustinUK    0

Everything is already on the latest available drivers.

 

System is currently still stable by rolling back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goretsky    1,049

Hello,

 

Just in case the problem is with third-party security software, you might want to try the following:

 

  1. download the latest version of your security software;
  2. uninstall the currently-installed version of your security software;
  3. install Windows 10 Creators Update;
  4. re-install the freshly-downloaded security software

Perhaps that will make a difference.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
conna    108

I had a couple of systems that had problems after 1703 upgrade.  My personal desktop was the worst. BSOD's Processes using 90% CPU. Memory usage way high. Disk activity 100%.The common denominator was Intel chipset and intel raid.  The solution was to remove ALL intel software and then do the update to 1703.   

I highly recommend +goretsky tip about removing the Antivirus software before the update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jim novak    0

been seeing blue screens daily since the update.  running a dell precision with all latest drivers.  I am seeing the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED with the dump file creation failing.  

 

blew my system away twice now, clean install, still seeing the issues

 

ran every hardware test that i can find, on RAM, my SSDs, etc. Everything seems fine... 

 

Hope someone finds the cause!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
erpster3    32
On 5/11/2017 at 4:58 PM, jim novak said:

been seeing blue screens daily since the update.  running a dell precision with all latest drivers.  I am seeing the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED with the dump file creation failing.  

 

blew my system away twice now, clean install, still seeing the issues

 

ran every hardware test that i can find, on RAM, my SSDs, etc. Everything seems fine... 

 

Hope someone finds the cause!

 

you did not say what model of the dell precision.

 

The creators update didn't blue screen on my mom's old Dell Inspiron 640m/e1405 laptop but it mostly hung after the desktop loaded.

I found out it was the old Broadcom 440x integrated ethernet controller driver hanging the system (and this Broadcom driver is built-into the Windows 10 v1703 release).

Nevertheless, I went back to the anniversary update release and things are back to normal.   Seems like old Broadcom Ethernet/LAN adapters are not compatible

with the Win10 creators update, which I mentioned in the Microsoft forums and MS confirmed that to be the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kwb    0

I'm having this same issue.  No Dump file!     Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.  My PC was working great before this update started to sneak in attempt to update my machine.  The update all failed.  My machine couldn't stay on for more than 5-10 minutes.  Then crashed.  Decided to rebuild my machine with by downloading "creators update" from Microsoft.  the update failed before while updating.  Downloaded the Creators update from another machine onto a usb stick. The USB update failed due to a problem with USB. I forget the message. The only option was to download the ISO image and use "ISO-Image-to bootable-USB program".   This installed the latest W10 Image on my PC.  I was able to use Windows update and download newer updates.  Seems to crash every night early  AM.  Also, I don't know if this is related, but the Audio is garbled. I have an Nvidia Gforce GTX 1060 6GB and use the Nvidia Audio on the card.  I've downloaded All the latest drivers directly from Nvidia.  I've also gon to Device Manager and checked to see if any devices can be updated.  There all the latest and greatest.  I'm still troubleshooting.   My system is an STRIX-Z270I-GAMING-ASUS.  Great motherboard and Video card.  My next step step is to open the case, pull the video card and reboot. Re-seat the RAM. etc....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    12,152
1 hour ago, kwb said:

I'm having this same issue.  No Dump file!     Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.  My PC was working great before this update started to sneak in attempt to update my machine.  The update all failed.  My machine couldn't stay on for more than 5-10 minutes.  Then crashed.  Decided to rebuild my machine with by downloading "creators update" from Microsoft.  the update failed before while updating.  Downloaded the Creators update from another machine onto a usb stick. The USB update failed due to a problem with USB. I forget the message. The only option was to download the ISO image and use "ISO-Image-to bootable-USB program".   This installed the latest W10 Image on my PC.  I was able to use Windows update and download newer updates.  Seems to crash every night early  AM.  Also, I don't know if this is related, but the Audio is garbled. I have an Nvidia Gforce GTX 1060 6GB and use the Nvidia Audio on the card.  I've downloaded All the latest drivers directly from Nvidia.  I've also gon to Device Manager and checked to see if any devices can be updated.  There all the latest and greatest.  I'm still troubleshooting.   My system is an STRIX-Z270I-GAMING-ASUS.  Great motherboard and Video card.  My next step step is to open the case, pull the video card and reboot. Re-seat the RAM. etc....

 

 

Please don’t post to necro threads. Dump file creation failed happens when you reboot your machine before it writes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.