Computer takes around 20 seconds before it fully starts booting.

Do you have your RAM configured properly? I've been building for years and I've seen BIOS post issues when RAM is incorrectly configured.

1 hour ago, Mando said:

sounds like your psu aint pushing enough amps on the +12V rail(s) to me. 

how old is the PSU?

It's brand new, 750 watt.

1 hour ago, patseguin said:

Do you have your RAM configured properly? I've been building for years and I've seen BIOS post issues when RAM is incorrectly configured.

Ram is in slot 2 and 4. I've not touched the configuration at all.

2 hours ago, SIE said:

My motherboard has an option for which PCI-E slot the Primary video card is installed, it's looks like you have your GFX card in in slot 2, have you tried it in slot 1 or changing the option in the bios?

I might try that. I moved it down cause my heatsink is currently vertical so I didn't want it blocking airflow.

So I pulled out each stick of ram and booted it with just one of each and no change in the boot time. Tried unplugging the GPU and no change either. So if it's power then the power supply is likely bad. It could also be the firmware on the motherboard. I've experienced crashing in several games lately as well as a few BSOD's. Somethings definitely up.

Will see if I can update the bios to fix it, though I am a pretty big newbie at that.

I am very much feeling the CPU not pushing enough, that would also apply to crashes in games (as could other things, obviously).  Sure, it's new and a decent brand with enough rated wattage but hey, things can be faulty.

12 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

I am very much feeling the CPU not pushing enough, that would also apply to crashes in games (as could other things, obviously).  Sure, it's new and a decent brand with enough rated wattage but hey, things can be faulty.

It is a possibility, and if that is the case I can get it replaced as I have a warranty. I may just put another $80 into microcenter diagnosing the issue.

This is kind of dumb but just in case I'm throwing this out there.  I had the exact thing as far as 20 - 30 seconds before monitor would come on then everything loaded and worked totally fine so I just avoided rebooting.  Lol went on the whole last month and come to find out my son apparently had put a DVD upside down in my Blu-ray drive and even though It was never even seeming to spin while the monitor was black it was causing my problem. Couldn't believe something so stupid was the cause.  Your issue "feels" like a psu issue though.

7 hours ago, Houtei said:

This is kind of dumb but just in case I'm throwing this out there.  I had the exact thing as far as 20 - 30 seconds before monitor would come on then everything loaded and worked totally fine so I just avoided rebooting.  Lol went on the whole last month and come to find out my son apparently had put a DVD upside down in my Blu-ray drive and even though It was never even seeming to spin while the monitor was black it was causing my problem. Couldn't believe something so stupid was the cause.  Your issue "feels" like a psu issue though.

I can attempt to unplug all USB devices, my computer doesn't have a disc drive at all. It could be trying to boot from the many different USB devices plugged in.

So I've updated the bios to version 1.5 and I still have the long boot time. Tried removing any USB devices and that also didn't change anything. I'm guessing the last likely case is a bad power supply, might need to replace it. Unless anyone knows how I can verify it's working properly.

Could be your board that's bad. Did you check for busted/leaking caps?

PSU was put forth as a potential (and IMHO likely) issue 2 weeks ago.  In that time you could easily have tested another PSU - go to store, buy PSU, test in your machine.  Working, RMA the old PSU. Same issue, take new PSU back for refund.

38 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

PSU was put forth as a potential (and IMHO likely) issue 2 weeks ago.  In that time you could easily have tested another PSU - go to store, buy PSU, test in your machine.  Working, RMA the old PSU. Same issue, take new PSU back for refund.

The point was if there was a way outside of purchasing one to test it, such as evaluating the output to see if there was any problems with the current. I am quite busy, and haven't had a lot of time to go to the store and purchase new parts. This has been a slow process for that reason, so I'm sorry I'm not meeting your timelines.

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Could be your board that's bad. Did you check for busted/leaking caps?

I will check this, as that's something fairly easy to find out.

i was going to also suggest the USB device issue causing slow POST times; however, you said you unplugged everything already.

i really doubt the PSU is to blame. if you have a PSU problem your board probably wouldnt POST at all.

3 hours ago, Emn1ty said:

The point was if there was a way outside of purchasing one to test it, such as evaluating the output to see if there was any problems with the current. I am quite busy, and haven't had a lot of time to go to the store and purchase new parts. This has been a slow process for that reason, so I'm sorry I'm not meeting your timelines.

It's not about my timelines, it's about you wanting a correctly functioning system.  Tests being one thing, just swapping out being so much easier.

3 hours ago, Jason S. said:

i really doubt the PSU is to blame. if you have a PSU problem your board probably wouldnt POST at all.

Wholly disagree.  The BSODs in games can be attributed to insufficient power to the GPU.  The slow POST time can also be down to PSU issues.  Seen it first hand on custom builds - PSU swapped out, worked fine.

48 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

The BSODs in games can be attributed to insufficient power to the GPU.  The slow POST time can also be down to PSU issues.  Seen it first hand on custom builds - PSU swapped out, worked fine.

i agree w/ you about BSODing in games. i dont understand how PSU issues would slow a POST, but ultimately let it continue after 20s.

If you are hesitant on buying a new PSU, look @ it this way:

If a new PSU (different brand/model) solves the problem - then you know what the issue is, know what needs to be done to resolve it - and if money is an issue, you can return the newly bought PSU until you can afford it.

If a new PSU does not solve the problem, you can return it.

I noticed you have not mentioned the brand of the PSU, only that it is 750W.  I hope this isnt because you went cheap and didnt want to mention it.

You have been around here long enough to know better than to use some Thermaltake, or generic PSU - so I doubt this is the case...

But , what brand/model PSU are you using ?

2 hours ago, Jason S. said:

i agree w/ you about BSODing in games. i dont understand how PSU issues would slow a POST, but ultimately let it continue after 20s.

I know that one of the 1st things a PSU does is send out a  power check to all of the components to get a status report.  If it gets back an "OK to go" from the components, it proceeds to POST.  But I wonder if it is getting a delay, does that signal a "not OK" ?  or does the PSU wait for a short time to allow for the myriad of components in the market before it calls a full stop ?
If a rail is bad, lets say the 12V, is it safe to assume this causes a delay before moving forward ?  For instance, it finally gets an answer it needs ....  I am just throwing things at the wall, but there is some logic there. :/

7 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

I know that one of the 1st things a PSU does is send out a  power check to all of the components to get a status report.  If it gets back an "OK to go" from the components, it proceeds to POST.  But I wonder if it is getting a delay, does that signal a "not OK" ?  or does the PSU wait for a short time to allow for the myriad of components in the market before it calls a full stop ?
If a rail is bad, lets say the 12V, is it safe to assume this causes a delay before moving forward ?  For instance, it finally gets an answer it needs ....  I am just throwing things at the wall, but there is some logic there. :/

Was gonna say similar but went out.  It threw us at first too, as I couldn't see why!

16 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

If you are hesitant on buying a new PSU, look @ it this way:

If a new PSU (different brand/model) solves the problem - then you know what the issue is, know what needs to be done to resolve it - and if money is an issue, you can return the newly bought PSU until you can afford it.

If a new PSU does not solve the problem, you can return it.

I noticed you have not mentioned the brand of the PSU, only that it is 750W.  I hope this isnt because you went cheap and didnt want to mention it.

You have been around here long enough to know better than to use some Thermaltake, or generic PSU - so I doubt this is the case...

But , what brand/model PSU are you using ?

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W

I am not hesitant on buying it, I just haven't had the time to go to the store and get one.

59 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Well, even though that is a decent PSU, cant rule it out.

I guess you dont have an Amazon Prime account ?

I do, but I dislike attempting to return things online so I've been trying to find time to head to Microcenter.

• 2 weeks later...

An update, I've replaced the PSU. It was a bad PSU causing the long post time. Fans now start spinning immediately. However, the crashing has become more prevalent (even before swapping the PSU). Mass Effect Andromeda crashes almost every time I play specific portions, and Mechwarrior Online has had repeated crashes in the last couple days.

What I've tried:

• sfc /scannow
  • lowering graphics settings
  • moving GPU to new slot
  • reinstalling windows 10

None of these have fixed issues or demonstrated any problems. I'm hoping the power issues haven't caused my GPU any problems, but it's possible. Seeing as it's only during gaming I imagine that's the reason. It could also be a bad driver from NVidia though.

1 hour ago, Emn1ty said:

An update, I've replaced the PSU. It was a bad PSU causing the long post time. Fans now start spinning immediately. However, the crashing has become more prevalent (even before swapping the PSU). Mass Effect Andromeda crashes almost every time I play specific portions, and Mechwarrior Online has had repeated crashes in the last couple days.

What I've tried:

• sfc /scannow
  • lowering graphics settings
  • moving GPU to new slot
  • reinstalling windows 10

None of these have fixed issues or demonstrated any problems. I'm hoping the power issues haven't caused my GPU any problems, but it's possible. Seeing as it's only during gaming I imagine that's the reason. It could also be a bad driver from NVidia though.

Wow - exactly per my first post to this thread, just seemed so unlikely on a new build.

For GPU, you could review the ongoing discussion in this thread:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1331302-pc-crashing-everytime-i-play-a-game/?page=2#comment-597901376

It won't be a NVIDIA driver problem. GPU issues in multiple games is either hardware or some other driver such as chipset or a BIOS that needs updating etc.

Try underclocking the GPU a little and slowing down the GPU RAM a little just in case they are borderline.

Also if you are in the Northern Hemisphere, ambient temperatures might be higher and computer air cooling is only as good as the air going in...

2 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Wow - exactly per my first post to this thread, just seemed so unlikely on a new build.

For GPU, you could review the ongoing discussion in this thread:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1331302-pc-crashing-everytime-i-play-a-game/?page=2#comment-597901376

It won't be a NVIDIA driver problem. GPU issues in multiple games is either hardware or some other driver such as chipset or a BIOS that needs updating etc.

Try underclocking the GPU a little and slowing down the GPU RAM a little just in case they are borderline.

Also if you are in the Northern Hemisphere, ambient temperatures might be higher and computer air cooling is only as good as the air going in...

Yes, I've been following that topic closely and intent to try some of the suggestions there. Just hoping the poor power supply didn't cause any side effects with the gpu hardware. I'll also check if another bios update has been released for my board and try that.

Heat wise, that could be an issue. Lately it's been hitting ~80F in my apartment, however I've not overclocked anything and do have an aftermarket cooler. Nearly zero dust in my case as well thanks to the filtration. I'll check temps though while playing or maybe just bump up the A/C when I am playing.

On 5/11/2017 at 5:23 PM, T3X4S said:

I missed this before. Your guess is correct except it is the motherboard that contains a tiny CPU that controls the extensive power circuitry on a modern motherboard which has to generate over 40 amps to the CPU so it does extensive low level power checks and if the input is a bit low or fluctuating I think some software will wait for it to settle out. 

10 minutes ago, Emn1ty said:

Yes, I've been following that topic closely and intent to try some of the suggestions there. Just hoping the poor power supply didn't cause any side effects with the gpu hardware. I'll also check if another bios update has been released for my board and try that.

Heat wise, that could be an issue. Lately it's been hitting ~80F in my apartment, however I've not overclocked anything and do have an aftermarket cooler. Nearly zero dust in my case as well thanks to the filtration. I'll check temps though while playing or maybe just bump up the A/C when I am playing.

Most GPU cards have a poorly designed cooling system. The intake is the hot air right next to the motherboard power circuits etc and then they push that hot air through a cooler to exhaust it outside the case. So take the side off your computer and blowing a fan at the GPU intake area is a quick way to test GPU cooling because in every case it will be a major improvement.

BTW what is the brand and model of your GPU card?