The Boring Company

On 2017-5-1 at 8:04 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

Try reading the comics sometime.  Downey might have based some of the characterisation on Musk, but most of it is clearly based on the original source.

RDJ said he based his characterisation on a few real people, one of who's names he dropped was Musk.

Expanding past the startup crew for the parking structure segment.

https://www.boringcompany.com

Media: https://www.boringcompany.com/images/

Jobs

Current Openings

Certified Crane Operator for 110-ton Crawler Crane

TBM Operator

TBM Segment Installer

TBM Mechanic

Safety Representative and Gas Tester

Concrete Batch Plant Operator

Concrete Field Testing Technician

Mechanical Engineer/Designer

Tunnel Design Engineer

California Professional Geologist and Certified Engineering Geologist

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2017 at 2:49 PM, DocM said:

Another effort was a nuclear powered 'subterrene' - an underground submarine.

This one was supposed to be a lot faster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_rocket

On 5/1/2017 at 4:46 AM, DocM said:

When they made Iron Man they based the characterization on Musk, and filmed scenes in the SpaceX factory.  He even has a full size Iron Man suit and a Cylon near the entrance to the SpaceX factory.

They took Musk's ambitious character and amplified it with arrogance by a factor of 20 :D to create the contemporary Iron Man.

And I think I saw a half-second clip of Musk meeting Stark Jr. in the first instalment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/20170629/tunnel-to-nowhere-elon-musk-starts-digging-in-hawthorne-but-to-where

Musk is now seeking regulatory safety approvals to dig the first 2 miles of his futuristic subterranean vision, Hawthorne interim City Manager Arnie Shadbehr said Thursday.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 1

I happen to like The Boring Company - I mean, what's really been done with tunneling since the Big Dig - in fact, even throwing in the "Big Dig" (and Baltimore's Ft. McHenry Tunnel - a record-setter in and of itself), what major advances had been done in terms of tunneling itself? Got to point this out - until TBC came along, tunneling had become largely rather "boring" - as in DULL.  Now?  Despite the company name - and the subject - it's anything BUT dull.  And it's all Elon Musk's fault.  Musk could be indeed compared to Anthony Stark - or an even earlier genius (albeit in another universe) - Robert Anson Heinlein's D. D. Harriman (Lazarus Long universe).  While Harriman was a major background character in the early post-WWII period of the Lazarus Long universe (and Long himself worked for several Harriman companies)  Harriman himself reads like a cross between Horatio Alger and Stark pere and Stark fils - even scarier knowing that Alger - like Musk -was a real person - as was Alger compatriot Andrew Carnegie.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little confused though. In his NY to DC tweet he mentions hyperloop, but in the city centers tweet he mentions multiple entry/exit elevators.  Is this going to be a hyperloop or his vision for pods/cars running through underground tunnels? 

Speed wise it would have to be a hyperloop. Does the entry/exit elevators mean you will be able to take your car on the hyperloop?!?! 

2 minutes ago, flyingskippy said:

I'm a little confused though. In his NY to DC tweet he mentions hyperloop, but in the city centers tweet he mentions multiple entry/exit elevators.  Is this going to be a hyperloop or his vision for pods/cars running through underground tunnels? 

Both

He's going to use The Boring Company to make a Hyperloop tunnel

I know Musk has his haters (no idea why though) but even they have to appreciate how focused he is and how quickly he cuts through the normal bureaucratic crap.

• Like 1

Well, if you use The Boring Company to build a Hyperloop tunnel then you can also use that same The Boring Company to create a network of tunnels to other points in the city (the elevator locations) to provide people with a means to reach the Hyperloop station!

Say, you want to do from DC to NY! You find your nearest tunnel entry point, you go down and the sled takes you to the Hyperloop station. There your car is transferred from the tunnel sled to the Hyperloop cart and you are shot to NY. At the NY station you transfer back to a tunnel sled and get transported to your destination exit!

4 hours ago, MikeChipshop said:

I know Musk has his haters (no idea why though) but even they have to appreciate how focused he is and how quickly he cuts through the normal bureaucratic crap.

I think some hate him because of the massive tax breaks he gets.  Take away the tax breaks from Tesla and he would be selling the cars at a loss.  Without the Tax breaks Musk probably wouldn't be able to afford starting companies up the Boring Company.

4 hours ago, MikeChipshop said:

I wouldn't say that I am  "hater"... but I am more of a skeptic. It isn't that I don't see it being possible, just that I haven't seen a demonstration with actual figures and that sciencey stuff. I'm also not under the illusion that digging a tunnel under a major city like LA or NY or Chicago would be an easy thing in any sense of the meaning; they already have tunnels crossing everywhere, and you are crossing jurisdictions with different laws and environmental regulations, so yea, there is bureaucratic crap that, like the science, I haven't seen demonstrated. I wouldn't go as far as using thunderf00t's videos as proof against the concept, but... numbers matter. So does the bureaucracy. "Verbal approval" from one agency/branch means nothing at all.

It would be wonderful, very wonderful, if this does work out. I wish him all of the success.

1 hour ago, bguy_1986 said:

I think some hate him because of the massive tax breaks he gets.  Take away the tax breaks from Tesla and he would be selling the cars at a loss.  Without the Tax breaks Musk probably wouldn't be able to afford starting companies up the Boring Company.

The tax breaks for electric cars disappear after a production cap is reached, which is to happen later this year. Nevertheless,they have 300,000+ Model 3 orders alone beyond that cap. The DoE loan they a few years ago got was paid off 9 years early,  with interest.

Boring Co. is getting no funds - privately funded, unless the govt offers a public-private partnership which every other large company also does. Go talk to GE, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, or ferchrissake ULA which gets an $850M a year payment even if they don't launch so much as a bottle rocket.

2 hours ago, Zagadka said:

I wouldn't say that I am  "hater"... but I am more of a skeptic. It isn't that I don't see it being possible, just that I haven't seen a demonstration with actual figures and that sciencey stuff. I'm also not under the illusion that digging a tunnel under a major city like LA or NY or Chicago would be an easy thing in any sense of the meaning; they already have tunnels crossing everywhere, and you are crossing jurisdictions with different laws and environmental regulations, so yea, there is bureaucratic crap that, like the science, I haven't seen demonstrated. I wouldn't go as far as using thunderf00t's videos as proof against the concept, but... numbers matter. So does the bureaucracy. "Verbal approval" from one agency/branch means nothing at all.

It would be wonderful, very wonderful, if this does work out. I wish him all of the success.

I get skepticism; however, it's the why of the skepticism that separates them from the haters.  The Hyperloop design is a mesh of several existing technologies; note that I used the word "existing".  The combination may be unique - however, the techs themselves are not.

I remain skeptical of hyperloop because, well... It's basically just a maglev train inside a low pressure tube, yet the test models can't even get the maglev part working properly, and maglev is OLD technology!

Seriously, if you want to know if this will truly work, hire a Japanese train engineer, get him to show you how to build a maglev train, then stick it in a tube and see what happens.

In May Hyperloop One tested  a full size pod chassis at 70mph/113 kph, 10% speed in a 5 Pascal environment. This was with only 100 feet of the soon to be 1,640 foot linear electric motor installed in their currently 1 mile tube. The rest of the XP-1 test pod gets integrated and the linear motor will be lengthened as testing progresses to 250 mph, then the track gets extended for higher speed testing.

Crawl, walk, run.

While this was going on a third Hyperloop builder joined in; Arrivo. The team is made up of engineers from SpaceX, Hyperloop One, and multinational engineering/construction biggie AECOM. The HQ is in LA.

XP-1

59734bb25bab8_h1image3.thumb.jpg.14c3dbe911e015c4d8c878c368ce8964.jpg

59734bc23e6ba_h1image21.thumb.jpg.b27a4702c2f39350234b164b3a6d3b48.jpg

Edited by DocM