• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

The Boring Company

FloatingFatMan    18,277
2 hours ago, Beittil said:

Meanwhile, the core of the student team behind Delft Hyperloop (you know, the Dutch guys that actually won the competition ;)) have spawned off a company to develop it further, having recently (among others) secured a 300.000 EURO investment from the Dutch railway company NS!

Won the competition.... By achieving virtually nothing.  Their so called capsule stopped seconds after the push cart let it go. 

Sorry, but if that's the WINNER.... :no: 

Zagadka    4,039

I would like to see proof of concept on maintaining the vacuum (or near vacuum) in a tube of notable length, and what I presume would be airlocks for people to board and exit.

Having driven and flown the LA-SF route many, many times, it just seems that a regular Japanese-style high speed train would be a lot easier and more cost effective to maintain and repair. No one really needs to shave off that extra few minutes that is already promised. The longer you make the hyperloop tube, the more costly it will be.

What I am afraid of is this project not delivering, but the investment in it killing high speed rail in California (and the rest of the country). People are throwing money at it, but there has been little science shown.

MikeChipshop    3,458
On 7/21/2017 at 6:50 PM, Zagadka said:

I wouldn't say that I am  "hater"... but I am more of a skeptic.

Yeah that's absolutely fine though, it's always good to be sceptical until definite proof has been provided.

Unobscured Vision    2,658

Nothing wrong with skepticism and being critical, at all. In fact, many design problems get identified and worked out that would have otherwise injured or killed people, or there's another issue that needs addressing which wouldn't have been found due to bias (yes, it happens). Sometimes that critical review and skepticism is just what's needed to move forward. :yes:(Y) 

At the end of the day, critics and skeptics are such because they care. Can't hate that.

DocM    16,442

A key indicator will be when Hyperloop One integrates the entire pod testbed and does a 250 mph test. Take it from an old racer - 150+ mph is when things will start coming apart if they're going to do it.

Beittil    571

Anyway, I suggest we focus more on The Boring Company here and not its potential usage by Hyperloop spinoffs. There is a Hyperloop topic somewhere, guess we could focus that there.

Here i just want to see tunnels, preferably on Mars :D

• Like 3

FloatingFatMan    18,277
14 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Nothing wrong with skepticism and being critical, at all. In fact, many design problems get identified and worked out that would have otherwise injured or killed people, or there's another issue that needs addressing which wouldn't have been found due to bias (yes, it happens). Sometimes that critical review and skepticism is just what's needed to move forward. :yes:(Y) 

At the end of the day, critics and skeptics are such because they care. Can't hate that.

Trust me, I'm definitely a carer. I love it when inventors prove me wrong!  So c'mon Musk. Prove me wrong! Make this thing work!

Beittil    571

New gimmick at there HQ tunnel entrance :p

Shiranui    1,915

Hyperloop (noun)

A fitting moniker for Mr. Elon Musk, ever since he got it into his head that blasting people down a vacuum tube could ever be a viable form of transportation.

e.g. Elon Musk is trying to do what?? What a Hyperloop!

+John.    1,395
35 minutes ago, Shiranui said:

Hyperloop (noun)

A fitting moniker for Mr. Elon Musk, ever since he got it into his head that blasting people down a vacuum tube could ever be a viable form of transportation.

e.g. Elon Musk is trying to do what?? What a Hyperloop!

Boooo, move on please.

There was a time when strapping people into a pressurised metal tube, strapping wings to it and flinging it into the sky would've been considered mad, but it's cool now. If no one tries anything new, nothing progresses.

• Like 6

MikeChipshop    3,458
1 hour ago, John. said:

Boooo, move on please.

There was a time when strapping people into a pressurised metal tube, strapping wings to it and flinging it into the sky would've been considered mad, but it's cool now. If no one tries anything new, nothing progresses.

Exactly. If it doesn't work out, at least it was tried, testing and turned out not viable. A lot of people on this board would prefer if we just rode horses everywhere!

• Like 1

DocM    16,442

Some of us have ridden horses all our lives, it's a blast, but that doesn't mean we don't use/like high tech transportation.  

And while Hyperloop would be disruptive for short haul air traffic and cargo (Russia's looking into a trans-Siberian Hyperloop for cargo), longer air routes may be up for disruption as well by suborbital routes. There are major engine advances coming, as well as sonic boom mitigation and the realization that suborbital flights can be largely un-powered coasts.

FloatingFatMan    18,277
10 hours ago, Beittil said:

New gimmick at there HQ tunnel entrance :p

Not sure I like the sound of that clank at the end of the loop! :o

Zagadka    4,039

I'm not a math major (by a far shot), but I'm trying to think how quickly that elevator would have to load and unload cars to keep up with the traffic seen on a busy highway, much less the traffic leading to those elevators at multiple stops along the route.

DocM    16,442

The idea is to have a bunch access portals.

• Like 1

MikeChipshop    3,458
9 hours ago, Zagadka said:

I'm not a math major (by a far shot), but I'm trying to think how quickly that elevator would have to load and unload cars to keep up with the traffic seen on a busy highway, much less the traffic leading to those elevators at multiple stops along the route.

Me either, however let's say that lift in the vid takes little over 20 seconds to get down, then it's got to go up again plus the time taken for the car to exit. Let's round that up to about a minute per car and double that to account for stuff we don't know (this is the roughest of rough guesses btw :p). They state there will be a dozen access points in one LA section, that's 360 vehicles per hour. Over the course of the working day (Let's call it 12 hours, from my experience of working and living in London where the area is pretty full and cramped from 8 till 8) and that's a potential 4,320 cars removed from the normal clogged up routes per working day!  

Of course this doesn't take in to account a lot of things, such as where the lifts actually go, the traffic cuing to access the lifts (as you quite rightly pointed out) and so on. 

I was pondering this the other day, what if these tunnels saved even more money by offering access to only electric vehicles. Not only would it sidestep the huge amount of cleaning, air filtering and extraction infrastructure needed, but it also gives the population even more reason to purchase a n EV. 

I don't even drive though and I now live in a remote highland village with one road in and out that probably only sees 20 cars a day in the low season, so all this is just me pondering. Imagine a world where the bulk of commercial traffic is underground and hidden, leaving certain beauty spot roads for recreation and site seeing. Sounds good to me, if not totally feasible.

flyingskippy    165

I think limiting it to EVs is a good idea however, it would only see a very limited portion of the market. They only started handing over the model 3 yesterday. As for ICE vehicles, is there anything preventing the driver from shutting off the engine once they are on the trolley/shuttle? 

Entry tunnels like on ramps could also be used to alleviate the congestion at elevators. 

Revenue could be as simple as using an EZpass transponder to pay a toll. 

MikeChipshop    3,458
2 hours ago, flyingskippy said:

I think limiting it to EVs is a good idea however, it would only see a very limited portion of the market. They only started handing over the model 3 yesterday. As for ICE vehicles, is there anything preventing the driver from shutting off the engine once they are on the trolley/shuttle? 

Doh! I missed the obvious there didn't I? I assuming they already do shut off the engine!

DocM    16,442

And there's tech to recharge vehicles wirelessly from below, like a phone but at high currents. 

Some day expect to see it in parking spaces, on the tunnel skates, even in roadbeds (which is being tested.)

FloatingFatMan    18,277

Personally, though it looks neat, I think using car lifts is a bad idea. They're a major failure point, it takes time to descend and ascend, AND you're relying on the moron driving to get his car on it properly rather than getting jammed as the lift drops.

Better, IMO, to have ramps you drive down to the loading area.

DocM    16,442
2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Personally, though it looks neat, I think using car lifts is a bad idea. They're a major failure point, it takes time to descend and ascend, AND you're relying on the moron driving to get his car on it properly rather than getting jammed as the lift drops.

That's what rails and end gates are for.  Keep reading...

Better, IMO, to have ramps you drive down to the loading area.

In the fully evolved car tunnel concept the parking platform is an electric skate, which drives off with you on it while another skate loads onto the elevator and returns to the street. Other skates are akin to a self driving mini-bus.

• Like 1

DocM    16,442

2 videos to supplement the front page story about Hyperloop One's 192 mph/310 kph run this week.

They already need a longer track.

• Like 2

flyingskippy    165

I think hyperloop just had it's Wright Brothers moment...   

• Like 2

Beittil    571

I could have sworn that this was the boring company topic :p

• Like 2