Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" to be made into TV series

Sony Pictures Television will serve as the producing studio for the Wheel of Time adaptation. Red Eagle Entertainment and Radar Pictures will produce. Red Eagle's Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon will act as executive producers, with Radar's Ted Field and Mike Weber and Goosebumps' Darren Lemke also serving as executive producers. Jordan's widow and longtime Wheel of Time editor Harriet McDougal will serve as consulting producer.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/20/wheel-of-time-tv-series-sets-showrunner-production-studio?watch

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/wheel-of-time-tv-series-sony-1202390897/

Easily one of my favorite book series of all time so I'm extremely pleased to see this is going to happen but also extremely worried it'll turn into something like the Sword of Truth did. It needs to match or surpass the Game of Thrones in terms of quality to do the series any justice as a tv show.

Not enough killing and raping to match GoT.

So this series would be, what, 32 seasons long?

• Haha 1

I wonder about that. Anything less than one season for a book will cut too much of the story out, I feel like. But then that would be 14 seasons..

Although there were 3-4 books where Jordan was working through his sickness that could have been and probably should have been condensed into two books.

Edited by trag3dy

I also get the impression that a lot of people would be ###### about portraying "feminism". Just know people will complain about that no matter what they do.

Anyway, it would be a very ambitious project. People haven't done the best with the franchise in the past.

Yeah... apparently there were several kick starters for games and a few other attempts at creating a show that I never heard about.

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!

Ok, few, let me take a minute.   

I agree that you CAN cut things out, sure it's been years so I can't remember every book that well, but instead of cutting whole parts out you can just start to condense a bunch of them here and there, so instead of 14 seasons, 1 per book, you get something more around 10 seasons, which would work out very well IMO.

I think the level of killing could be just fine, I mean there's lots of battles and monsters getting blown up and so on, maybe it's not as politically/backstabbing, as GoT, but I've never been a huge fan of flat out killing most of your cast just because most seem to be power hungry or paranoid.

I think the hardest part of WoT to work out is the, uhh, romance part of it.  I don't know how others will view it today, all 3 females are strong and so on, which is good, but....

Spoiler

We're talking a harem at the end, sort of, god I wish it had a better epilogue to it, but anyway, it's a 4 way agreed upon harem, they might decide to tone that stuff down.

• Like 1

Thinking on it more there is a lot of stuff they could cut which probably wouldn't be missed all that much. Some specific character story arcs that don't really go anywhere and at least two and maybe three that could be cut without losing too much of the main story.

I also agree that they'll probably tone the romance down which would be a shame because two of those characters are my favorites in the entire series.

I'll judge it when I see it but I have my doubts they can pull it off. Just have to wait and see.

3 hours ago, trag3dy said:

Thinking on it more there is a lot of stuff they could cut which probably wouldn't be missed all that much. Some specific character story arcs that don't really go anywhere and at least two and maybe three that could be cut without losing too much of the main story.

I also agree that they'll probably tone the romance down which would be a shame because two of those characters are my favorites in the entire series.

I'm all for cutting down side characters that aren't important, but the female characters that work into the romance side are important enough that I'd rather they didn't cut things out, or very little.

2 hours ago, Zag L. said:

I'll judge it when I see it but I have my doubts they can pull it off. Just have to wait and see.

These types of things should be easy to do, books to movies are harder because of the time limitations, trying to fit a huge novel into 3hrs for example.   But if you take it at a book per season, or maybe at the most 1 1/2 books per 1 tv season (if we're talking 22-24 episode seasons) then story wise it works out well.

The rest of it comes down to set design and the overall look/feel of the show, trying to get it all to match up like it should be.  These things need the right budget, but I think everyone sees how big GoT has become and wants to get that going again.  The working formula is there, just use it.

• 4 years later...

It's been a long time coming but we've got some news.  So I'll be opening up this topic again.

• George P unlocked this topic
  • 1 month later...

I totally forgot to post this when I saw it last night.   I'm a fan of the books so I'll be watching the series for sure.  I just hope Amazon sticks with it and finishes it all.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Karthik Mudaliar
      Sony-owned Nextorage releases M.2 NVMe SSDs that can be used with the PS5
      by Karthik Mudaliar

Nextorage, the Sony-owned subsidiary, has launched an SSD that can be used with the PlayStation 5. This comes a few days after Sony officially announced support for expansion through the M.2 solid state drive slot on the PS5. The new series of Nextorage NEM-PA PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSDs are available in both 1 TB and 2 TB capacities.

The performance of the 2 TB unit is slightly higher than the 1 TB one. For the 2 TB unit, the sequential read/write speeds are up to 7,300/6,900 MB/s respectively while the random read/write speed can reach up to 1 million IOPS. As far as longevity is concerned, the 2 TB version is rated for 1,400 Terabytes Written (TBW). There is 2 GB of DDR4 RAM for caching needs.

PS5-Compatible Sony SSD Sequential Read/Write

Random Read/Write

Endurance 2TB Nextorage NEM-PA

7,300 / 6,900 MB/s

1,000,000 / 1,000,000 IOPS

1,400 TB

1TB Nextorage NEM-PA

7,300 / 6,000 MB/s

750,000 / 1,000,000 IOPS

700 TB

The 1 TB unit offers a sequential read/write speed of up to 7,300/6,000 MB/s meanwhile the random read speed is rated at 750,000 IOPS and the write speed is the same as that of the 2 TB unit at 1 million IOPS. For longevity, the 1 TB unit is rated for 700 TBW.

Both the units come with an aluminum heatsink. This is on par with Sony's requirements for installing the PS5's SSD. Once installed, players can use the expanded storage to download, copy and launch both PS4 and PS5 games as well as other media apps on the PlayStation 5. Players can also move games and apps freely between the internal and external storage options.

Via Tom's Hardware

• By Asher Madan
      Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake PS5 and PC timed exclusivity confirmed
      by Asher Madan

During the PlayStation September 2021 Showcase, Sony revealed that it was working with Aspyr — the team that's ported a lot of old Star Wars games to modern consoles lately — including Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake. Despite the overwhelming excitement for the project, there was some confusion about whether the game was a timed exclusive. The main question was if it would end up on other consoles aside from PlayStation 5 (PS5).

The terms "Launch Exclusive" and "Console Launch Exclusive" were thrown around, but it's unclear what they really mean. Luckily, Tully Ackland, the Senior Game Designer of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake, answered that question. A few days ago on Twitter, Ackland confirmed that it's a "timed exclusive for PS5 and PC". This means it'll come to other devices eventually. Ackland didn't discuss other platforms it'd be available on, but we're hoping it hits Xbox Series X|S down the line.

Typically, timed exclusivity lasts around a year. Just look at Rise of the Tomb Raider as an example. Keep in mind that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake is still very early in development so we'll probably have to wait many years to get our hands on it. Given the fact that COVID-19 is still affecting how everyone works, there's no way to ascertain an accurate timeline.

• By Asher Madan
      Back 4 Blood gets long-awaited campaign trailer
      by Asher Madan

Back 4 Blood is the spiritual successor to Left 4 Dead, a zombie shooter that's regarded as a cult classic nowadays. It's coming to Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PC, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 5 on October 21, 2021. While we've seen a lot about the multiplayer portions of the game, we didn't know much about the story until today.

Developer Turtle Rock Studios recently released a trailer for the game that gives us a better look at what to expect from the co-op campaign. Back 4 Blood seems like a B-movie that takes itself too seriously, but, luckily, the story allows for the opportunity to slay a lot of zombies. You can watch it below.

The infection in Back 4 Blood was caused by a parasitic worm and now the individuals who are immune are fighting back. It seems like a town is besieged by the undead and it's up to you and your team to neutralize the threat.

Back 4 Blood will be available on Xbox Game Pass at launch as well. You can also purchase it through the Microsoft Store or the platform of your choice, starting at $59.99. The Deluxe and Ultimate editions give you early access and the expansion pass.

• By Karthik Mudaliar
      PS5 September update will bring M.2 SSD support, 3D audio, and other enhancements
      by Karthik Mudaliar

Sony will be releasing the much-awaited September system software update to the PlayStation 5 tomorrow. The update will bring support for M.2 SSD storage expansion which will allow users to store and play PS5 games, PS4 games, and media apps directly from the expanded high-speed SSD storage. Other than that, support for PS Remote Play over mobile networks will also be available starting tomorrow while the ability to view Share Screen broadcasts on the PS5 app will begin starting September 23.

The update features certain UX enhancements. Players will now be able to customize their Control Center by rearranging or choosing which controls to hide or unhide at the bottom of the screen. They can also now easily view and write messages to friends and Parties directly from the Game Base, which is part of the Control Center. While in full screen, Game Base will show how many friends are online, busy, or offline. Players will also be able to accept, decline, or cancel multiple friend requests all at once.

While having PS4 and PS5 versions of the same game installed, each game's tile will now clearly indicate its platform and they will also appear separately in the "Installed" tab of the Game Library and on the Home Screen. Players can also pause or resume Screen Reader by pressing the PS + Triangle buttons and have it repeat anything it reads by pressing PS + R1 buttons.

PlayStation Now subscribers can choose between 720p and 1080p resolutions for streaming games. There's also a streaming connection test that will help them identify or troubleshoot any connection problems. There's also a new Accolade Type, "Leader", that players can award others and will be visible on their profiles.

The console will automatically capture "personal best" videos when a player sets a new personal best while competing in challenges for better time or higher score. These clips can also be shared directly from the challenge card in the Control Center or from the Media Gallery. The Control Center also features a new Trophy Tracker that will allow players to quickly access up to five trophies per game.

As mentioned before, the update also brings 3D audio support for built-in TV speakers. The effect is similar to 3D effects on stereo headsets. To optimize the 3D audio for individual rooms, players can measure the acoustics of their room using the microphone on their DualSense wireless controller. In addition to that, players with a Pulse 3D Wireless Headset will now have access to equalizer settings within Sound Controls.

The most significant feature of this update is support for M.2 SSD storage expansion. Once installed, players can use the expanded storage to download, copy and launch both PS4 and PS5 games as well as other media apps. Players can not only play PS4 and PS5 games directly from the M.2 SSD storage but also freely move games between storage options.

• By Asher Madan
      Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 may launch in 2022
      by Asher Madan

The latest entry in the Call of Duty franchise, Call of Duty: Vanguard, should launch in November 2021, but that doesn't mean Activision's various studios aren't working on the next game in the acclaimed series. Today, Tom Henderson – known for leaking Battlefield and Call of Duty news – said that Call of Duty 2022 will be a sequel to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare from 2019.

Henderson actively posts about maps, modes, and much more coming to popular multiplayer games, and he's built up a strong reputation in terms of accuracy. Given how Activision rotates who develops the next Call of Duty every year, the timing is correct.

Hopefully, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will take the franchise in a new direction. The Modern Warfare games have a legendary status among first-person shooter enthusiasts, so anything related to the sub-franchise garners a lot of attention and interest.

You can pre-order Call of Duty: Vanguard right now on the Microsoft Store or the platform of your choice, starting at $59.99. When pre-ordering, there are a number of editions to choose from that give you access to post-launch content and much more.