Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" to be made into TV series

Sony Pictures Television will serve as the producing studio for the Wheel of Time adaptation. Red Eagle Entertainment and Radar Pictures will produce. Red Eagle's Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon will act as executive producers, with Radar's Ted Field and Mike Weber and Goosebumps' Darren Lemke also serving as executive producers. Jordan's widow and longtime Wheel of Time editor Harriet McDougal will serve as consulting producer.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/20/wheel-of-time-tv-series-sets-showrunner-production-studio?watch

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/wheel-of-time-tv-series-sony-1202390897/

Easily one of my favorite book series of all time so I'm extremely pleased to see this is going to happen but also extremely worried it'll turn into something like the Sword of Truth did. It needs to match or surpass the Game of Thrones in terms of quality to do the series any justice as a tv show.

Not enough killing and raping to match GoT.

So this series would be, what, 32 seasons long?

• Haha 1

I wonder about that. Anything less than one season for a book will cut too much of the story out, I feel like. But then that would be 14 seasons..

Although there were 3-4 books where Jordan was working through his sickness that could have been and probably should have been condensed into two books.

Edited by trag3dy

I also get the impression that a lot of people would be ###### about portraying "feminism". Just know people will complain about that no matter what they do.

Anyway, it would be a very ambitious project. People haven't done the best with the franchise in the past.

Yeah... apparently there were several kick starters for games and a few other attempts at creating a show that I never heard about.

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!

Ok, few, let me take a minute.   

I agree that you CAN cut things out, sure it's been years so I can't remember every book that well, but instead of cutting whole parts out you can just start to condense a bunch of them here and there, so instead of 14 seasons, 1 per book, you get something more around 10 seasons, which would work out very well IMO.

I think the level of killing could be just fine, I mean there's lots of battles and monsters getting blown up and so on, maybe it's not as politically/backstabbing, as GoT, but I've never been a huge fan of flat out killing most of your cast just because most seem to be power hungry or paranoid.

I think the hardest part of WoT to work out is the, uhh, romance part of it.  I don't know how others will view it today, all 3 females are strong and so on, which is good, but....

Spoiler

We're talking a harem at the end, sort of, god I wish it had a better epilogue to it, but anyway, it's a 4 way agreed upon harem, they might decide to tone that stuff down.

• Like 1

Thinking on it more there is a lot of stuff they could cut which probably wouldn't be missed all that much. Some specific character story arcs that don't really go anywhere and at least two and maybe three that could be cut without losing too much of the main story.

I also agree that they'll probably tone the romance down which would be a shame because two of those characters are my favorites in the entire series.

I'll judge it when I see it but I have my doubts they can pull it off. Just have to wait and see.

3 hours ago, trag3dy said:

Thinking on it more there is a lot of stuff they could cut which probably wouldn't be missed all that much. Some specific character story arcs that don't really go anywhere and at least two and maybe three that could be cut without losing too much of the main story.

I also agree that they'll probably tone the romance down which would be a shame because two of those characters are my favorites in the entire series.

I'm all for cutting down side characters that aren't important, but the female characters that work into the romance side are important enough that I'd rather they didn't cut things out, or very little.

2 hours ago, Zag L. said:

I'll judge it when I see it but I have my doubts they can pull it off. Just have to wait and see.

These types of things should be easy to do, books to movies are harder because of the time limitations, trying to fit a huge novel into 3hrs for example.   But if you take it at a book per season, or maybe at the most 1 1/2 books per 1 tv season (if we're talking 22-24 episode seasons) then story wise it works out well.

The rest of it comes down to set design and the overall look/feel of the show, trying to get it all to match up like it should be.  These things need the right budget, but I think everyone sees how big GoT has become and wants to get that going again.  The working formula is there, just use it.

• 4 years later...

It's been a long time coming but we've got some news.  So I'll be opening up this topic again.

• George P unlocked this topic
  • 1 month later...

I totally forgot to post this when I saw it last night.   I'm a fan of the books so I'll be watching the series for sure.  I just hope Amazon sticks with it and finishes it all.

• 2 months later...

Well, first 3 eps are out and I saw them today.  Right off the bat they've made some character changes, minor in my opinion but I understand the reason behind them compared to the first book which, iirc, is a bit on the slow going  side with little character development.

The use of the power is a bit overboard but I think they're going to tone that down going forward, probably did it this way to hook some viewers.  Overall I enjoyed what I saw and I'm a huge fan of the books.  

Enjoyed first three episodes... but I thought they could've spent more time explaining the lore and setting the show up better. I've never read any of the books and was left a bit confused after the first 2 eps. I had to do some googling before I watched the 3rd to clear things up. Looking forward to watching more now.

On 22/11/2021 at 19:30, Zathras5 said:

Enjoyed first three episodes... but I thought they could've spent more time explaining the lore and setting the show up better. I've never read any of the books and was left a bit confused after the first 2 eps. I had to do some googling before I watched the 3rd to clear things up. Looking forward to watching more now.

The first book does most, if not all, of that setup but in that regard the first book is also pretty, I don't want to say boring, lets say slow?  Nothing, outside of the core group leaving the town, of importance goes down from what I remember, though It's been some 15+ years since I read the books.

While it's great the amazon is spending the money on this, the show doesn't have your typical primetime tv episode count, the 22-24 a season network shows get.   With the typical 6-8 eps these streaming shows get they're forced to pick up the pace more than they'd otherwise have wanted to I'm sure.  

On 23/11/2021 at 16:10, FloatingFatMan said:

Seen the first 2 eps so far, and I know I'm going to get stick for this but... well... It's very much LotR in a new dress really...

Well, did you read the books? I am seriously considering it but I wonder if I should do book 1 to get into the theme or of it is OK as is...?

Lord of the ring book was Fantastic and I read it with barely any English - I was still learning. 

Movies were good about the Hobbit movies were not so much - they good took the smaller book to be the same length and the story just did not flow

On 23/11/2021 at 23:05, E.Worm Jimmy said:

Well, did you read the books? I am seriously considering it but I wonder if I should do book 1 to get into the theme or of it is OK as is...?

Lord of the ring book was Fantastic and I read it with barely any English - I was still learning. 

Movies were good about the Hobbit movies were not so much - they good took the smaller book to be the same length and the story just did not flow

No, I've not read the books.  I'll be honest and say that high fantasy isn't totally my thing... I never could get into Game of Thrones or The Witcher for example.  This does, at least, kinda intrigue me though.

• 4 months later...