scanner recommendations needed

Hello, 

I'm too lazy to do my own research (I hope somebody here has done it already) & need a new scanner to help me digitalise some books/photos, so it should be both fast and with a high resolution. My budget is around 500$.

Has to be compatible with win7/10&macOS 10.12.x

I'm looking particularly at Brother, because I've heard that they write drivers for older devices to work on newer OS'es, which is kindof a big deal for me, because I want it to last a bit more than a couple of years. 

So what would You guys recommend? 

Cheers

What size photos? Negatives? Slides? Book content in color, dimensions? What do you need resolution for - or are you mainly in need of something that is going to produce easily readable text? High res scans will eat up storage space quickly.

For 500$, I'm not familiar with any commercial product that would get you past having to manually flip pages and plop the book onto the scanning bed.

Just to get the ball rolling, I've used a variety of Epson scanners in the past, and currently make use of the Perfection V600 for some high resolution scanning. I don't have any huge complaints. The software looks the same as when I used it back in the 2007 - 2009, so I imagine that compatibility with older and future operating systems would not be an issue - it just works, consistently, but isn't beautiful.

• 1 year later...

Because of the implausibility of the standalone scanner these days, I have gone to recommending HP's ENVY series printer/scanners (though I normally despise 2-in-1 printer scanners, you can use the printing and scanning functions independently - they don't require the PC to use).  Another nice feature is that the ENVY printer/scanners are wireless-networkable out of the box - even with mixed LANs.  Need to print from a non-PC? Grab the HP wireless printing app from Google Play or the App Store (at a cost of none); the ENVY series printers are specifically supported.  Scariest low-end (sub-$100) printers, let alone printer/scanners, I have seen - ever.  Reminds me of the original HP LaserJet and LaserJet II - keep them stocked with paper and consumables (in the case of the ENVY, it's ink) and they will likely outlast you.  The ink cost will ONLY be ridiculous if you print a lot of color (this is true of any color inkjet, however) - like all HP inkjets, it DOES have a black-and-white printing option for when color is not needed - how often do you need color printing of Word documents or PDFs?

The ultimate for text is the Fujitsu ScanSnap. Great for going digital with the document feeder. Pretty pricey at $420 on Amazon. 1130 reviews at 4.5 stars though.

Thanks alot guys, luckily I have already finished that book, forgot the scanner name, but I can look it up - it wasn't really that hard, just repetitive and boring :D