Issues with pin login

Hi all,

Just got a bit of a problem with pin login, it's obviously great because you can just hit those digits and if it's correct it just signs in right away, love how fast it is.

The login screen keeps defaulting to password though, windows didn't seem to do this in the past. It now requires me to click the pin option to use a pin on the login screen.

Makes me think a setting has been toggled somewhere at some point, is there any way to opt for the pin to be the default sign in option?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2017 at 2:58 AM, kalkal said:

Hi all,

Just got a bit of a problem with pin login, it's obviously great because you can just hit those digits and if it's correct it just signs in right away, love how fast it is.

The login screen keeps defaulting to password though, windows didn't seem to do this in the past. It now requires me to click the pin option to use a pin on the login screen.

Makes me think a setting has been toggled somewhere at some point, is there any way to opt for the pin to be the default sign in option?

Thanks.

That's odd - I've not had that issue on any PIN-using PC (one desktop and four notebooks - only Mom's AIO is not using a PIN currently; however, her notebook is).

Yes - I have added another notebook to the arsenal; this replaces Baby Pavilion as the most powerful of my notebooks - it's an ASUS X54C (4GB RAM, Core i3 2nd-gen (Sandy Bridge) 500GB HDD, wired gigabit (the only one of my notebooks to go there) and WLAN Atheros single-band N.  Like Baby Pavilion, it originally shipped with Windows 7 Ultimate x64.  Check the settings for the account in question - if something got deranged, that is where it would be.

Once I get the ASUS sorted, Big Pavilion will retire after the Fall Creator's Update cycle is finished (of the daily drivers, Big Pavilion is the only notebook that is using the Microsoft BDA).

Also, I've changed some settings (mostly Power) to deal with various X54C-related quirks involving charging the battery; for some rather odd reason, it defaults to a fast turn-off and sleep, even when plugged in - to compensate, I've moved both from 5 minutes/20 minutes to Never (in other words, it must be explicitly turned off), as the X54C takes two hours to charge (by estimate).

Right now, I'm looking at another quirk - this one involving the Intel HD3000 graphics.  For some reason (could be one of several), it insists on not using the higher capabilities of DX11 (which even HD3000 is known to support, though it is NOT on par with the HD4xxx in Ivy Bridge - nor do I expect it to be).  I also notice that esrv.exe fails to start - this is unique to this notebook (like Baby Pavilion, it also has just 4GB of RAM, thyerefore, i doubt that it's a LackORAM problem - could be, but doubtful).