FreedomPop Issues Grrrr (free mobile service)

Has anyone tried freedompop?  The support is terrible, absolutely diabolical!  I'm convinced they have balrogs and succubi answering the phones there!  >:O  Well, supposedly it's as easy as inserting the SIM, setting the APN, downloading the app (and keep the app open to make calls/text)  but it also has Data (1st month is 2GB free, downgrades to 500MB after).

Sounded like a steal.. except it doesn't work, at least not for me. The community there gets no answers, so wondering if anyone here might be more familiar with it.  I put the SIM in, set my APN to fp.com.attz and named it FreedomPop (says to leave everything else blank), and the data should kick in.  Nothing.. So I called, they give the exact same instructions on the piece of paper that comes with the SIM, they have absolutely no control of accounts.

If I can't get this going, any other services like this one that actually work? >:(

For phone details, I use an xt912 (Droid Razr Maxx).  This phone does not support ##72768#.  Although it's unlocked, the PRL cannot be updated, keeps saying unavailable.

UPDATE:  Help me choose a better phone!

I made some progress! Turns out the SIM card FreedomPop sent me wasn't tied to any account, they sent another one and I finally got some messages. The popup said the service is not acceptable. So GSM only works on my device with the use of an International SIM and FP tries to circumvent this by using a foreign network within the US (not sure how they did this) but in the end, my xt912 wouldn't accept it. I took a chance and tried it on an old xt910 instead and it worked. :o   Well, that phone is so old and slow, and CRAP.  I will need another device...

Help me choose a factory unlocked phone that is between $100 - $160 (or less?)  I was looking at Orbic Slim and Slim+X, both of which should accept FP's GSM network.  Most importantly, I want a device that has at LEAST 6GB app storage.  I want to install both ENG and JP kingdom hearts UX games  (each is 1.6GB).

My xt912 has 2 ROM Slots, each with 3GB app storage.  I dual booted and put 1 game per ROM Slot.  The phone is showing its age and the games are pretty laggy in graphically intense situations (all the action on screen).  Where do I go from here..?

If I can get away with paying for less, I will take it :p  I only use the phone for international calling (and LOTS of it) and just for the game.  I'd been using obama's lifeline for a while with a $15 phone card (unlimited int.)  It'd been fine until the phones they sent me kept freezing up or cracking under intense heat, 3 times now.  I swear the batteries are just waiting to explode on me.

That's when I thought to breath life back into my xt912, which plays the game alright, but it's definitely slowing down each time skype or messenger updates (just more for the phone to do). That being wifi,  I tried FreedomPop and you know the story.

My best bet is one of these Orbic type phones, so wondering if I can do better than that for a lil more (or less?). Since I barely dent the data (the game only uses it for sync/level loading) I don't mind the 500MB/3G with F-Pop.