Portable program that moves cursor slightly (to stop PC automatically locking)

Question

I work from home most of the week.

I have a work laptop that automatically locks after 2 minutes in inactivity.

This timer can not be adjusted.

I only use the laptop to view my e-mails - I use my home PC to do work.

Most home workers at this company likely use their laptops constantly, so the timeout issue isn't much of a problem for them.

However, since I do not primarily use the laptop when working, it constantly locking is annoying and I.T. don't want to do anything about it.

I currently use the portable version of Auto Mouse Mover from MurGee.com (placed in the Startup folder) but upon each boot, it displays itself and you have to manually click "Save & Hide to System Tray" manually each time.

Does anyone know of an alternative program to Auto Mouse Mover?

Ideally, I want one that can also be placed in the Startup folder and it automatically opens by running minimized to the system tray.

11 answers to this question

If you only use it to view emails, then hibernate it when not being used, it's silly having a machine running constantly for nothing. You say the lock timer cannot be changed, but it actually can, unless a group policy is stopping it?

4 minutes ago, Tidosho said:

If you only use it to view emails, then hibernate it when not being used, it's silly having a machine running constantly for nothing. You say the lock timer cannot be changed, but it actually can, unless a group policy is stopping it?

To be honest, I should have been clearer.

I do not use the laptop as it's a dumb terminal. It connects to VMware Horizon. So I just run VMware Horizon in a window on my second monitor.

I'd like the remote desktop to stop automatically locking every two minutes (it's a security 'feature' for those workers that travel around but I'm in a single location (my home)).

And yes, it's locked down but portable programs work fine.

I.T. said they have no problem with me running a program to stop it locking but they won't change the policy, for some reason.

3 minutes ago, xendrome said:

2 minutes is just stupid. Whoever made that decision is a moron.

It could be 5 minutes to be fair. Though it's no higher than 5 minutes.

Either way, I work 8 hours each day. It locking every 5 minutes is almost as bad :p

I just threw you something together using AutoIT, it sits in your tray and moves your mouse 1 pixel every 30 seconds

NoSleep by Tidosho

Edited by Tidosho

23 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

Boom, Mouse Jiggler with the -m parameter is perfect.

Thank you, lads!

add the -z tag as well. Zen mode simulates the mouse moving in the background without actually moving the cursor :) it's a really nice addition on the tool

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zag L. said:

This is exactly what you need. I use it everyday for the exact same reason you will.

Caffeine

The F15 key thing made me laugh :rofl:

TinyTask can probably do what you want. It can record mouse movement and keypresses and can loop them for as long as you like. You can save your recorded macro as a standalone executable and put that in the startup folder. It looks like the download link is down unfortunately.