Getting Android Galaxy S7 Tomorrow

bikeman25

Hi All

Getting Galaxy S7 Tomorrow thru Sprint I'm pretty sure on that, anyways right now I use Avast mobile security on Current Galaxy Grand Prime, its a little slow at times, but works, new phone should be more powerful, so think gonna stick with Avast as far as I know, unless there isn't a good idea?    

I know Desktop machines got Option of WIndows Defender,not sure on the phone side though

• 1 month later...
PGHammer

If I go with AV on phones at all, it's BitDefender; however, I typically don't (on either phones OR tablets) - instead, I stick to avoiding shady apps (old-fashioned common-sense) or sites.

I just added an S7 (a customer actually dropping his S7 - which was his second phone) in favor of going with just a single phone (Apple iPhone - which was his primary phone).  Right now, I'm running it in SIMless/tablet mode - giving him the opportunity to have surrender remorse - he was, after all, running MM; I've updated it to the May release of N.  I have a Samsung GNex as my daily driver.

• 1 month later...
PGHammer

FOLLOWUP - It's still here (in fact, I got surprise confirmation (in person - and in front of my mom) that he does NOT want the S7 back - which puts me in a pickle.

Cucumber #1 - This particular model is normally exclusive to VZW - which means it has a roadblocked IMEI (and thus is very difficult-to-nearly-impossible to take to another carrier - and especially a VZW MVNO, such as Tracfone).

Cucumber #2 - While the Gear VR 2016 is now on sale for a rather cuckoo price tag (per the announcement on Neowin's own front page today), I've not tried VR since the very early pre-Oculus days - is Best Buy still the most likely place to see Gear VR demos?

Cucumber #3 - Is anyone actually using that tag-team (S7/Gear VR 2016) today?

Steven P.
2 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Cucumber #1 - This particular model is normally exclusive to VZW - which means it has a roadblocked IMEI (and thus is very difficult-to-nearly-impossible to take to another carrier - and especially a VZW MVNO, such as Tracfone).

Without rooting an unlock for it, there are a few services online that will give an unlock code for not too much money, but I would recommend researching this first on XDA developers, to find one that is trustworthy (if you don't have a SIM unlock store you can walk into, here in Holland they are all over the place).

I have an S6edge+ from T-Mobile US, but since T-Mobile already offer a device SIM unlock app, I can use it here in The Netherlands on KPN. You sure Verizon won't give an unlock code, if it is more than a year old/refurbish/on sale? 

xendrome
23 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Isn't that illegal now?

PGHammer
2 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Without rooting an unlock for it, there are a few services online that will give an unlock code for not too much money, but I would recommend researching this first on XDA developers, to find one that is trustworthy (if you don't have a SIM unlock store you can walk into, here in Holland they are all over the place).

I have an S6edge+ from T-Mobile US, but since T-Mobile already offer a device SIM unlock app, I can use it here in The Netherlands on KPN. You sure Verizon won't give an unlock code, if it is more than a year old/refurbish/on sale? 

In Europe, they ARE all over the place - however, in the US (not Canada, as the CRTC has outlawed locked handsets altogether), *flagship* handsets (and the S7 - in fact, the S-series as a whole - have mostly been that), have that one-year or two-year (in the case of most carriers) "exclusivity period" - the sort of thing that gives those that have economic reasons for turning one loose heartburn.  In my case, my original plan was to replace my GNex with the S7 (by porting the number to my existing MVNO (Tracfone, which a dual-carrier MVNO) but sticking to the VZW half (because of signal-strength issues with LTE band 13 from where I live south - and T-Mo has them WORSE than VZW - I ported the number from a feature phone covered by the lifeline-coverage side of Tracfone - which uses T-Mo's towers.  However, that "exclusivity period" has me by the short-and-curlies.  The S7 DOES make a surprisingly-strong tablet alternative (the only real failing compared to the smallest "pure" tablets is screen size), and the Snapdragon SoC found in every S7 sold in North America chews through the porkiest games and apps like so many Reese's Pieces - and it's still running basically VZW-stock N (the ONLY change I made from VZW stock N is swapping Action Launcher Pixel Edition in to replace TouchWiz Home - I literally did nothing else - I even left in all the "Official VZW Bloatware").  That is the REALLY scary part about the Snapdragon SoC - how much better is the SoC in the S8?

PGHammer
2 hours ago, xendrome said:

Isn't that illegal now?

Illegal in Canada (which I pointed to earlier) - but not in the US.  Even the CRTC has a "grandmother" clause - handsets that were locked down when the regulation went into effect can remain locked down for the rest of that exclusivity period (typically the same length as US carriers still have - one to two years).

TAZMINATOR

In USA, most phone providers offer free unlock code and/or service for decent phones.  Which means they can give you the code that you unlock it yourself or they will unlock it for you. No charge. All you do is ask for it. If they have unlock website, then they will tell you where it is.

They may stop offering the unlock codes for old phones that aren't worth anymore.

bikeman25

Followup after months of use, Still using Avast on Phone, but maybe i'll try free Bitdefender again, and then when Fall Creators update comes out if I choose to not use Avast on Desktop PC's, maybe i'll use Defender and stick with it for a change,  I keep switching Desktops back to Avast, as I feel I don't know how to explain it, weird with Avast on phone, and Defender running on Desktops, like dude use the same program.   

Battery lifes ok, not the best, but works

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      England and Wales COVID-19 contact tracing app launches
      by Paul Hill

The COVID-19 contact tracing app has finally launched in England and Wales. The new app is based on the Google and Apple API which is decentralised and offers a high degree of privacy that doesn’t require users to register an account.

To use the app, you must be using a device running Android 6.0+ or iOS 13.5+ that supports Bluetooth 4.0+. Additionally, you must be aged 16 or over to use the app – this has been reduced from 18+ which was the age requirement during the trials.

The new app comes with several features, immediately when you begin using it you’re asked to provide the first half of your postcode, this will tell you how high the COVID-19 risk is in your area and provides you with advice based on this. In the background, the app will use Bluetooth to keep a log of all the other devices it comes into contact with and if any of their owners report a positive COVID-19 test, you’ll be asked to isolate for a week.

In addition to Bluetooth logs, the app allows you to check-in at venues. Businesses will display QR codes that you can scan, if there are reported cases at the venue at the time you were there you’ll be notified. It's important to note that you only have to check-in, the system will automatically check you out after a certain period.

Other features in the app include a symptom checker, a link to read the latest government advice, and a section to enter your COVID-19 test result. If you enter a positive result, people who you’ve come into contact with will be notified to isolate but your identity will remain private.

According to BBC News, users that ignore the app’s self-isolation warning are in theory liable to be fined. However, because the app is anonymous, the fines will be impossible to enforce should you choose to ignore them. If you feel you cannot afford to self-isolate, be sure to check the government website for any financial assistance you may be able to claim.

People living in England and Wales ought to feel reassured about their privacy. In the first iteration of the app, the government was using a centralised model that offered less privacy. This was eventually dropped due to technical limitations. The only personal information that users will enter into the new app is the first half of their postcode.

You can download the app from the Google Play Store and Apple App Store now.

Gallery: NHS COVID-19 Contact Tracing app
    • By News Staff
      Save 89% off a lifetime subscription to Calmind Mental Fitness App
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Apps + Software section of the Neowin Deals store, where you can save 89% off a lifetime subscription to Calmind Mental Fitness App. Multifunctional approach to self-care — combined natural techniques for improved focus, productivity, sleep, stress relief, and more.

What's the deal?
      Calmind provides physiological and stress-reducing benefits to each of your senses. This digital therapy app helps you improve your quality of life by focusing on what's important and getting rid of distractions. It provides soothing and sensory stories to reduce stress and help you fall asleep faster, as well as ASMR triggers and calming tones to increase positive hormones. Calmind is your self-care assistant in a pocket!

Stop procrastination; helps with writing, reading, concentration, learning, studying & more Helps insomniacs & stressed-out adults peacefully drift off Increase positive hormones for calm mind w/ reduced anxiety & stress Emotion tracking for stronger resilience & emotion regulation Good to know
      Length of access: lifetime Updates included Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase Device per license: 5 For terms, specs and license info, click here.

What's the benefit?
      A lifetime subscription to Calmind Mental Fitness App normally costs $699 but it can be yours for only $69.99, that's a saving of $629.01 (89%) off!

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it <<
      See all Apps + Software on offer. This is a time limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

The Nintendo Gaming Bundle Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 70% off Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Disable Sponsored posts · Other recent deals · Preferred partner software

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By News Staff
      Save 50% off a lifetime subscription to Qlango Language Games
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Apps + Software section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time, you can save 50% off a lifetime subscription to Qlango. Make learning fun & quickly start speaking 30+ languages with enjoyable, interactive games.

What's the deal?
      You know your own language the best? You don’t have time? Do you find the examples you learn elsewhere useless in practice? With Qlango you can learn Albanian, Arabic, Dutch, Finnish, English, Spanish, and more languages through fast, simple, and fun games. You will be acquiring knowledge by translating to the language you are learning and not vice versa. It won't waste any of your time and effort too! Each Qlango lesson (or game) lasts a maximum of five minutes and examples are most often used in conversations.

Translate texts from a language you know to a language you are learning Write dictated texts Search for the correct answer among 4 suggested ones Unscramble the correct answer Create a sentence from given words Learn more languages at the same time by writing, reading, listening & revising Choose from 5 different learning modes or customize any or all of them Use innovative & useful 3-stage hints to find the correct answer Acquire knowledge by translating to the language you are learning & not vice versa Track statistics with Qlango elephant (don't worry, it has memory like a real elephant) Brag about your results and share them on Facebook Complete your weekly plan on the first or on the last day of the week (or any day in between) Languages

Albanian American English Arabic Brazilian Portuguese Bulgarian Croatian Czech Danish Dutch British English Finnish French German Greek Hungarian Italian Lithuanian Macedonian Norwegian Polish European Portuguese Romanian Russian Serbian Slovak Slovenian Spanish Swedish Turkish Ukrainian Good to know
      Length of access: lifetime Device per license: 3 Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase Updates included For terms, specs and license info, click here.

What's the benefit?
      A lifetime subscription to Qlango normally costs $90 but it can be yours for only $44,99, that's a saving of $45.01 (50%) off!

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it <<
      See all Apps + Software on offer. This is a time limited deal.
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?

The Nintendo Gaming Bundle Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 70% off Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Disable Sponsored posts · Other recent deals · Preferred partner software

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By eRajesh
      Tap, Tap brings iOS 14's customizable back tap gesture to any Android device
      by Rajesh Pandey

With iOS 14, Apple is introducing a handy Back Tap accessibility feature to iPhones that will allow users to open a specific app or trigger an action by simply double or triple-tapping the back of the device. Google was also working on a similar feature in Android 11, but there's no clarity on whether it would be available in the final release of the OS or not and if it would be exclusively available to Pixel devices.

A new app Tap, Tap from developer Kieron Quinn brings the double-tap the rear of the device gesture to all Android 7.0+ devices. Using the app, one can assign a custom app launch shortcut or even system actions like taking a screenshot to the double-tap gesture. In fact, the app allows users to stack actions on top of each other as a fail-safe. This means that if the first action, say opening the camera, fails to trigger for some reason, the app will move on to trigger the next action in line.

Source: XDA The app also has a Gates feature to block the gesture from working in certain scenarios like when you are on a call, the device is being charged, etc. The developer is also working on Tasker integration and other advanced features for the app.

Tap, Tap uses the same machine learning code and TensorFlow models found in Android 11 builds from Google. For improved accuracy, the device allows users to switch between three models: Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 4, and Pixel 4 XL. You don't necessarily need to own a Pixel to use the app, but if the gesture is not working properly, you can change the device model to see if it helps with accuracy. I tried the app on my Galaxy S20+ and it worked just fine with the Pixel 3 XL device model.

Source: XDA Developers

• By News Staff
      Get lifetime subscription to Shilpa Shetty Yoga & Fitness at 91% off for just $49
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Apps + Software section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time, you can save 91% off* a lifetime subscription to Shilpa Shetty Yoga & Fitness. #WorkoutAtHome and stay fit! A holistic health service designed by experts with Yoga, exercise, immunity, and diet programs.

What's the deal?
      Bollywood actor & fitness enthusiast Shilpa Shetty Kundra has pledged to spread awareness about holistic wellness by encouraging a healthy lifestyle modification. As a 44-year old mother of a young son, her active lifestyle proves that she lives by her famous philosophy of 'Swasth Raho, Mast Raho' (Stay Healthy, Stay Happy).

The app offers customized goal-based yoga & fitness programs that will help you lose weight, improve flexibility, strengthen core muscles, tone arms & legs; along with special aliment-based programs that focus on diabetes, low and high blood pressure, immunity, sleep and stress management. The app also offers free and easy-to-do yoga asanas, exercises & recipes to maintain a healthy balance in life. It is specially made for working women & men, young mothers & also youngsters.

To aid your fitness and wellness journey, the App also offers non-restrictive daily diet plans, recommendations, and tips. The quick & healthy recipes are easy-to-make and appealing to the taste-buds, bringing a balance of delicious and nutritious.

The app offers several unique features:

Workout with Shilpa Shetty: Exercises mentored by experts & performed by Shilpa Shetty herself Easy & quick home-based workouts: Workouts that can be performed anywhere, anytime Immunity-building: Programs designed to help boost immunity amid the pandemic Mind-body balance: Programs that help in de-stressing & developing focus Customized nutrition plans: Simple requirement-based recipes & nutrition plans Programs for women: Specially curated exercises for pregnancy, post-pregnancy weight loss, & menstrual pain Good to know
      Length of access: lifetime Max number of devices: 1 Redemption deadline: redeem your code within 30 days of purchase For a full description, specs, and license info, click here.

What's the benefit?
      A lifetime subscription to Shilpa Shetty Yoga & Fitness normally costs* $600, but you can pick it up for just $49 for a limited time - that represents a saving of $551 (91% off).

>> Learn more, or get this deal now <<
      See all discounted Apps + Software on offer. This is a time-limited deal.

Not for you?

The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 256GB Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 70% off Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Disable Sponsored posts · Other recent deals · Preferred partner software