• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Tesla Starts Pre-Orders on Solar Roof

Jim K    13,444

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to a sustainable energy future by creating products that are so compelling, there is no alternative. Solar energy has always been part of our master plan, and we recognized the need for a roof that is simultaneously affordable, durable, beautiful and integrated with battery storage.

Solar Roof complements a home’s architecture while turning sunlight into electricity. With an integrated Powerwall, energy collected during the day is stored and made available any time, effectively turning a home into a personal utility. Solar energy can be generated, stored and used day and night, providing uninterrupted power even if the grid goes down.

Affordability

Solar Roof is more affordable than conventional roofs because in most cases, it ultimately pays for itself by reducing or eliminating a home’s electricity bill. Consumer Reports estimates that a Solar Roof for an average size U.S. home would need to cost less than $24.50 per square foot to be cost competitive with a regular roof. The cost of Solar Roof is less. The typical homeowner can expect to pay $21.85 per square foot for Solar Roof,1 and benefit from a beautiful new roof that also increases the value of their home.

Solar Roof uses two types of tiles—solar and non-solar. Looking at the roof from street level, the tiles look the same. Customers can select how many solar tiles they need based on their home’s electricity consumption. For example, households that charge an electric vehicle every day may want more solar tiles on their roof.

/snip

Design & Durability

Solar Roof will be available in a variety of designs, including Smooth and Textured (available this year) and Tuscan and Slate (available early 2018). Made with tempered glass, Solar Roof tiles are more than three times stronger than standard roofing tiles, yet half the weight. They do not degrade over time like asphalt or concrete. Solar Roof is the most durable roof available and the glass itself will come with a warranty for the lifetime of your house, or infinity, whichever comes first.

/snip

solar-roof-price-range.thumb.jpg.67210e7ce2f666daac583fb765ddeed2.jpg

Tesla

From Bloomberg

Tesla’s Solar Roof Pricing Is Cheap Enough to Catch Fire

The cost of Elon Musk’s remarkable new product is judged “better than everyone expected.”

Tesla Inc. has begun taking $1,000 deposits for its remarkable solar roof tiles—to be delivered this summer at a price point that could expand the U.S. solar market. 

Tesla will begin with production of two of the four styles it unveiled in October: a smooth glass and a textured glass tile. 1 Roofing a 2,000 square-foot home in New York state—with 40 percent coverage of active solar tiles and battery backup for night-time use—would cost about $50,000 after federal tax credits and generate $64,000 in energy over 30 years, according to Tesla’s website calculator

That’s more expensive upfront than a typical roof, but less expensive than a typical roof with traditional solar and back-up batteries. The warranty is for the lifetime of your home. 

“The pricing is better than I expected, better than everyone expected,” said Hugh Bromley, a solar analyst at Bloomberg New Energy Finance who had been skeptical about the potential market impact of the new product. Tesla’s cost for active solar tiles is about $42 per square foot, “significantly below” BNEF’s prior estimate of $68 per square foot, Bromley said. Inactive tiles will cost $11 per square foot.

/snip

As a reminder, these would replace your current tiles ... they aren't solar panels .. they are solar tiles.  

• Like 3

Emn1ty    4,058

If I had a home to roof, I'd be putting a deposit down and figuring out a way to finance this roof for the home, especially since it would likely bring the value way up. I can't wait to have a home to put this on.

• Like 1

Unobscured Vision    2,667

Let's put this into perspective. :)

My brother and his wife bought a 2016 Toyota SUV brand new. It cost them 56 grand fully loaded. They'll be paying on that beast for five or six years (I think). The Tesla Solar Roof is cheaper than that AND it will significantly reduce (and during mid-spring to mid-autumn) ELIMINATE your Electric bill; in fact you'll GET money from the Power Company if you're generating an excess if you happen to live in a State where you're required to sell it to them.

Winter months, it'll shave some money off the bill. Every bit helps. :yes: 

Can't wait for this tech to come down in price even more, but it'll require early adopters to take the first steps to get it there.

DocM    16,535

Some day soon even the windows and paint on a car or house will generate power too. Those who only drive a short distance most of the time are gonna be killing it.

• Like 1

Unobscured Vision    2,667

:yes: Yessir. Ten, Fifteen years from now there will be more structures using all of this technology than not using it.

• Like 1

FloatingFatMan    18,637

Have they released the technical specs of the solar tiles yet?  I want to know their efficiency rating, watts per hour generated, stuff like that.  Solar tiles have been tried many times in the past but always failed because they just don't generate as much as solar panels do, and just couldn't be made cost effectively...

• Like 1

anthdci    215

My main concern with these is the wiring behind them taking up so much time that the labor cost of having them installed is prohibitive. With normal tiles they are nailed or interlocked on the wooden battens that is intern fixed to an underlay membrane. So will the tile wiring be soldered between tiles making it very time taking per tile, or will their be connectors between each tile, possibly of different sizes depending on the power running through them, will the wiring have to be stitched in an out of the membrane which I believe you have to have by law in the UK, so you can access it from the loft space. I know that's not very well explained.

I am very curious, I am hoping to get another 7 years out of my roof so at that point I can put an extension on the side and redo the whole roof in one go, putting these tiles and powerwall in at the same time. 

DocM    16,535

I believe the wiring is integrated for ease of installation, and the efficiency should be similar to the Panasonic HIT;  20-22%. 

• Like 1