Tech support people help please

Hey guys

I have an interview lined up for tech support. The questions will be based on windows troubleshooting, network config, printer config, providing customer service

Does anyone here have a guide so I can freshen up my basics? Any book to read or a cheat sheet I can refer to? Any type of resource to learn will help me out a ton

Appreciate you taking out the time to read this

Cheers :)

Depends on the platform you'll be supporting. Windows XP, 7, 10? Mac? A general book may provide enough help to refresh your memory. 

It may be very difficult to know exactly what you'll be asked, but from the interviews I've been in (both sides of the table) it is important to at least attempt to answer a question even if you don't have the exact answer. Sometimes the important thing is your thought process in trying to solve an issue, not that you know some obscure way of fixing a specific issue they put in front of you.

9 hours ago, noneofyourbusiness said:

Depends on the platform you'll be supporting. Windows XP, 7, 10? Mac? A general book may provide enough help to refresh your memory. 

It may be very difficult to know exactly what you'll be asked, but from the interviews I've been in (both sides of the table) it is important to at least attempt to answer a question even if you don't have the exact answer. Sometimes the important thing is your thought process in trying to solve an issue, not that you know some obscure way of fixing a specific issue they put in front of you.

Yes, that's the advice they gave me as well. I'm looking for Windows 7 and 10. and any network tcp/ip basics as well.

A book training for the current A+ certification would most likely cover what you need for troubleshooting.

If I had to guess, you'll still sound inexperienced.

pretty much what xendrome said. 

If you don't have the methodology down pat, no matter what reading you do will not prepare you for your interview.  They are looking to see how you think and react, a book isn't that fluid. 

They can ask you a multitude of questions.  When I interview, I look to see how the person answers....I am not looking for text book answers I am looking to see how they proceed with the problem.  There isn't a right or wrong way to do something like troubleshoot a printer that isn't responding, it is up to you to come up with ways to figure out what is wrong and how to work your way out.  Coming up with different scenerios show that you have been through a lot and coming up with different resolutions show that you have multiple ways out of a problem.  A text book will show you their interpretation of the issue which is not what I would be looking for, there isn't one answer to an open ended issue.  Everyone asks different things, depending on what I am interviewing for I will ask direct questions or ask open questions that give you ways to come up with problems and solutions to those problems.  Not everyone interviews like this...some interview based solely on personality some interview based on what they have read.  Every interview is different because everyone is different and do not share the same thought patterns.