Possible Security issue

Hi All

Possible Problem

After my last clean install, I decided to give Defender a shot, unknown if I have an infection again or not, but Windows is popping up daily almost to Backup Encryption Key, but I never turned on any encryption, or installed anything suspicious I don't think.  

Running Malwarebytes scan now

Anything else I should do? 

should I reinstall Avast and do a boot time scan?

Checks

Was from Admin cmd prompt as well

C:\>cipher /u /n
The system cannot find the file specified.

When I tried that, showed this, think I entered it right, even copied and pasted it

Have never used Bitlocker, well except on one flash drive, but I turned that off til I figure out if that was the cause or what the heck going on lol.   Drive wise on SSD and one Internal 2 tb storage, 1 western digital passport external, and wd elements, no encryption on those enabled I don't think.     Antivirus shows clean, Avast Free 17.4.2294, Malwarebytes shows clean to

Encryption Popup.jpg

Edited by bikeman25
This was the Window i was seeing

Possible Security issue, Unknown why I keep seeing this popup, no encryption on at all

Says Encrypting FIle System, and to backup the key, but I didn't turn on any encryption,  i'd show a screenshot but not letting me upload it

1 minute ago, bikeman25 said:

Possible Security issue, Unknown why I keep seeing this popup, no encryption on at all

Says Encrypting FIle System, and to backup the key, but I didn't turn on any encryption,  i'd show a screenshot but not letting me upload it

Its unlikely to be a security issue because I've seen the same on Creator's Update.

What does 

cipher /u /n

from a command prompt show?

says this when I copied and pasted the command in admin command prompt

cipher /u /n

I think the computer Gods are very angry with you as of late. DirectX issues, RAM failing and now your file system is being encrypted?

This may be bad advice, but if I was watching my PC encrypt my files and I didn't initiate this process, I'd assume ransomware, kill the power  then hook up HDD to another PC and pray your important files didn't get locked up. Restoring from image would be the preferable method, however.

an exorcist :rofl:

Edited by slamfire92

Cipher shows can't find the specified file lol

Sounds like you typed it wrong.

Capture.PNG

Still says Cannot file specified file, even with copy and pasting, tried Powershell Admin and Command Admin, nothing

Just now, bikeman25 said:

Still says Cannot file specified file, even with copy and pasting, tried Powershell Admin and Command Admin, nothing

It must only be available in Pro or higher. Do you use anything like 1Password?

Nope, and I am running Windows 10 Pro 64bit Creators edition

No Last Pass, No Avast Password, pretty standard install, no bitlocker

Nope, and I am running Windows 10 Pro 64bit Creators edition

No Last Pass, No Avast Password, pretty standard install, no bitlocker

Well cipher is certainly available in Pro. Sounds like you have some  issues after all. 

yup knowing me always some issue sadly, why I don't know with me, I guess gonna go with Option A, Complete drive wipe, and clean install, hopefully that cures all the issues, and I don't end up reinstalling anything that is bad.   

that is one thing i'm nervous on, but have to clean it up to make sure system all clean

Negative PS C:\Windows\system32> cipher /u /n /h

Yes using Powershell, with Admin, I can try from my Admin account later on here and give it another shot , right now on Standard user/Microsoft account

If you click on "This PC", do you see a lock icon beside any of your drives? 

If you go to control panel and click on Bitlocker, does it indicate that its enabled?

No Lock Iconn,  Windows flag next to C Drive, standard drive picture on D, same for DVD, and Removeable drive (card reader0 just sd card picture)