Possible Security issue

will see, big list of files come up with cipher 

Just let me know what best to do, Clean install/drive wipe or what at this point, and if I do secure erase on SSD, will that damage it, or shorten it's life span, but I guess I got no choice at this point, I don't know what is possibly encrypting the files

cipher results.jpg

Edited by bikeman25

I can confirm that I get the same "System cannot find the file specified" error when running all the listed cipher CLI commands in this thread. Typing "cipher" brings up a much shorter list but basically the same readout that you get. There is nothing wrong with my PC. 

Doesn't explain your encryption key prompt though.

11 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

I can confirm that I get the same "System cannot find the file specified" error when running all the listed cipher CLI commands in this thread. Typing "cipher" brings up a much shorter list but basically the same readout that you get. There is nothing wrong with my PC. 

Doesn't explain your encryption key prompt though.

Dunno why you guys are having issues with it.

Capture2.PNG

No idea, I just want all issues over with, programs working right, games working right, and nice happy PC lol,  don't know why I've been having so many issues.  Maybe I need 

Advanced Protection from Avast after all on all PC's and phone

Edited by bikeman25

25 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Dunno why you guys are having issues with it.

Capture2.PNG

Doesn't work on either of my PCs. Running same build of 10 as you are. Creators Update glitch possibly?

Edit: Checked a 3rd PC. Doesn't work there, either.

I may ask on Microsoft Answers forum on that Encryption popup, could be Creators update glitch I guess, running eset online scan right now, so far system all clean it shows, almost to end of scan now.   at a lost why I keep seeing it, if its a glitch, it's alarming one lol,  Cipher doesn't work for me with those commands, and I tried them all in Powershell and Command prompt admin

as for Printer software refusing to install, could be also Creators update glitch who knows, I hate to have to do another clean install, but if I must, I will

Any chance you right clicked on a file and accidentally hit encrypt? I've had people do that before and then the 'backup your encryption key' warning appears.

Also, I can confirm, cipher /u /n might be broken in the latest build.

On 5/12/2017 at 8:17 PM, bikeman25 said:

Encryption Popup.jpg

That's a standard EFS dialog. Not bitlocker.

Don't think I have, I checked everything, I even right clicked folders last night to be sure on that issue, didn't see any check marks for Encryption, but I can double check that

7 minutes ago, Joe User said:

Any chance you right clicked on a file and accidentally hit encrypt? I've had people do that before and then the 'backup your encryption key' warning appears.

That was my next question.

1 minute ago, bikeman25 said:

Don't think I have, I checked everything, I even right clicked folders last night to be sure on that issue, didn't see any check marks for Encryption, but I can double check that

If you go to explorer/view/options/view/show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color then encrypted files show up as green, compressed files are blue.

Ok that's activated, show nothing different colors though, but will keep it enabled and keep checking folders, so far checked all the ones on C:\ (SSD), and show nothing,   Checking D now, even the entire large music folder, and nothing so far.   at a lost on this issue lol

I appreciate everyone trying to help so much, I might just give up for tonight, giving me a headache and also with high blood pressure, sure that is going up too lol

2 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Ok that's activated, show nothing different colors though, but will keep it enabled and keep checking folders, so far checked all the ones on C:\ (SSD), and show nothing,   Checking D now, even the entire large music folder, and nothing so far.   at a lost on this issue lol

It won't show hidden or system files, so if one of them is encrypted for some reason then you'll need to set explorer to view those and check again.

I've triggered EFS by accident a few times just by clicking encrypt, But I also some applications will use EFS as well. Did you install or use something new just before the warning? 

Don't think the SSD or External included any Encryption software, but I can check that out too,  SSD  is Western Digital Blue 250gb

External is not connected, but it's a Western Digital Passport Ultra Metal 1tb

External has just Downlod backup files, install programs, drivers, FIrestorm backup (Secondlife settings backup),  Music folder--(most of the songs was obtained via Bing rewards points, and Microsoft music deals when I had a Windows Phone years ago, and CD rips) ,   and Some pictures

SSD contains Windows of course,  Firestorm viewer, with it's cache files on Secondary D drive,  Battlefield 4, Any video converter that I use sometimes, but don't really need it,  Adblock plus extension for Edge, American Truck Simulator game (on D),  Ccleaner, Crystaldiskinfo 7.05, Google Chrome, Logitech Gaming software 8.92, Macrifum Reflect Free Edition, Malwarebytes 3.1.2.1733, Pinball FX 2 Windows 10 Edition,  Shuffle Party, Skype modern app, Speccy, Steam (on D), VLC Media player for dvd playback, WD SSD Dashboard, and a few more modern apps

Antivirus currently: Windows Defender as I left that in when I did last clean install on April 17th 2017

Edited by bikeman25

58 minutes ago, Joe User said:

Also, I can confirm, cipher /u /n might be broken in the latest build.

I'm on the latest build and it's not broken. 

5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I'm on the latest build and it's not broken. 

You must be lucky. I'm not worried about it personally but I'm on the same build as you and it doesn't work on 3 different PCs.

3 minutes ago, slamfire92 said:

You must be lucky. I'm not worried about it personally but I'm on the same build as you and it doesn't work on 3 different PCs.

I wonder...

Did you upgrade or clean install? 

Clean installed myself

Onto Western Digital SSD 

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I wonder...

Did you upgrade or clean install? 

I thought about that, but 2 PCs were clean installs and the other was an upgrade. Also thought about Drive configs, One is spinning rust only, one is SSD boot w/spinner HDD and the last one is SSD only.

Only commonality is they're all running the same Windows 10 build.

Well All gonna try to get some sleep here, and not worry about PC all night, will be up early doing more scans though, and maybe will scan the other house hold systems to.

Or I may just wipe SSD, and then wipe the secondary drive, but that will take forever to do I bet with 2tb drive.  

Does secure erasing the SSD shorten it's life though?   First ever SSD, so nervous on killing it too soon, can't afford to really get a newer one either, so I wish PC would just right run, and I wouldn't have to do another clean install or anything.  

3 minutes ago, bikeman25 said:

Well All gonna try to get some sleep here, and not worry about PC all night, will be up early doing more scans though, and maybe will scan the other house hold systems to.

Or I may just wipe SSD, and then wipe the secondary drive, but that will take forever to do I bet with 2tb drive.  

Does secure erasing the SSD shorten it's life though?   First ever SSD, so nervous on killing it too soon, can't afford to really get a newer one either, so I wish PC would just right run, and I wouldn't have to do another clean install or anything.  

I think wiping the drive would be a premature at this point.

Yeah I'm not gonna tonight, I made the usb drive just in case.   too tired tonight anyways to start it, so not gonna tonight, gonna sleep tonight soon