Woman ripped up Mother's Day card, beat 6-year-old son

SPARTANBURG, SC (FOX Carolina) -

An Upstate woman is facing a child cruelty charge after an incident involving a Mother's Day card.

The Spartanburg Police Department was called to a disturbance at a home on Amos Street on Thursday around 6:40 p.m.

Police said when they arrived on scene, a grandmother was standing with her two grandchildren, one of which was crying. The woman told officers her daughter, the boy's mother, had slapped him multiple times in the front, side and back of the head.

The suspect was identified as 30-year-old Shontrell Murphy.

During the investigation, police said the boy's sister told them Murphy was upset because the victim made a Mother's Day card for his grandmother and not for her. The police report states that when she realized the card wasn't for her, Murphy ripped it up and hit the boy repeatedly about the head.

Officers said they saw a handwritten card torn to pieces at the scene.

The report states Murphy admitted to smacking the child but "does not believe it was in a hard or violent manner." The children reportedly told the police their mother hits them all the time in a violent manner and they are afraid of her.

Murphy was arrested and charged with cruelty to children.

The boy was transported via EMS to the hospital for evaluation but later released.

Source

<Thread cleaned>

Please stick to commenting on facts rather than targeting groups or individuals.

I didn't realise Mother's Day was such a heated subject for anyone. But then again, I am on good terms with my mother and I made sure to contact her when Mother's Day happened a few months back. It's funny how that appreciation day gets moved around unlike something like Easter or Christmas. :blink:

27 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

<Thread cleaned>

Please stick to commenting on facts rather than targeting groups or individuals.

I didn't realise Mother's Day was such a heated subject for anyone. But then again, I am on good terms with my mother and I made sure to contact her when Mother's Day happened a few months back. It's funny how that appreciation day gets moved around unlike something like Easter or Christmas. :blink:

Second Sunday of May for Switzerland.

Also, Easter 100% moves around in a similar way?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother's_Day#Dates_around_the_world

8 hours ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Second Sunday of May for Switzerland.

Also, Easter 100% moves around in a similar way?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother's_Day#Dates_around_the_world

Considering that my mum is in the UK, I called her back in March. ;)

Also, it goes to show how much I pay attention to Easter. :laugh:

• Like 1

Why is it specifically this past year that I've seen more conversations about the different Mother's Day dates around the world than throughout my whole life up to this point? o_o

Was there some pop media that mentioned it or something?

3 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Considering that my mum is in the UK, I called her back in March. ;)

Also, it goes to show how much I pay attention to Easter. :laugh:

See heres' the thing - it changes by locale.  Which yeah, is annoying!

33 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

See heres' the thing - it changes by locale.  Which yeah, is annoying!

The only mothers day you need to care about is the one in your mothers locale, so why would any others be annoying?

26 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

The only mothers day you need to care about is the one in your mothers locale, so why would any others be annoying?

So as said above, if your mother is in another locale

Being in the UK, being besieged online by American Mother's Day promotions

37 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

9 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Being in the UK, being besieged online by American Mother's Day promotions

Same thing if you're in Switzerland, you turn on the TV and click a few times and suddenly on a french TV show they remind you that mother's day is coming on the 28th or something like that. Oh no, you forgot ! Quick let's find something to do, I dunno, let's run to the store maybe ? Well here it's not the 28th but the 14th.

And yes I did almost forget this year too.

Luckily my mom doesn't get angry like the one in the OP...

Not sure she'll get anything next year.

Well, my mum's dead so all I need to worry about is poking my kids to doing something for the missus... :/ 

Edited by FloatingFatMan

2 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Well, my mum's dead so all I need to worry about is poking my kids to doing something for the missus... :)

You can't start a sentence about your mother being dead and end it with a smiley!!!!!!!!  Dude ;)

7 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

You can't start a sentence about your mother being dead and end it with a smiley!!!!!!!!  Dude ;)

Well, it HAS been a long time now... 13 years...  No point getting depressed after all this time! She'd slap me upside the head if I was still moping about after all this time! Point taken though, I changed it. :)

Edited by FloatingFatMan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Well, it HAS been a long time now... 13 years...  No point getting depressed after all this time! She'd slap me upside the head if I was still moping about after all this time! Point taken though, I changed it. :)

Was only joking mate :)

The only "mothers day" I do anything for is her birthday.