Surface Tablet Trackpad

I don't know how it started happening, but a month or so back as I'm typing the cursor will randomly insert its self into different parts of my text and it screws up what I typed because now it starts randomly typing in another location. I can only assume that this is caused by say my thumb hitting the track pad or a finger hitting the trackpad accidentally. I never use to have this issue as I believe the trackpad was smart enough to know that I was typing and not accidentally preposition the cursor. Is there a setting or something that I'm missing? It's a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 

Have you tried adjusting the trackpad sensitivity? See Settings > Devices > Touchpad.

I haven't had this issue on my Surface Book - but, of course, different device/hardware.

Capture.PNG

Hmm so interestingly enough, when I go to Settings > Devices it says Surface Type Cover (Driver Error) I removed the device then had it readd it but still says driver error. So seems it's probably related to that. I should be able to re download the driver separately correct? 

Digging into Device Manager I see

Surface Keyboard Backlight

Surface Pen Pairing

Surface Pro 4 FIrmware Update

All have errors. 

So I've downloaded the Microsoft Surface Driver Pack SurfacePro4_Win10_15063_1701801_0

It installed then did a firmware update.

However same issue still in Device Manager, so I removed the devices and restarted and when it reinstalled still presented an issue. 

I've run windows update to ensure that it's running all the latest and it is.

This device is not running on a preview build or anything like that. 

This is the error I get 

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

This is on,

Surface Keyboard Backlight

Surface Pen Pairing

Surface Pro 4 FIrmware Update

Surface PTP Filter

Is there any more information about the nature of the error? In devmgmt.msc, if you look at the device properties, General (tab) error code, Details (tab) Status, Problem Code, driver version?

19 minutes ago, zhangm said:

Is there any more information about the nature of the error? In devmgmt.msc, if you look at the device properties, General (tab) error code, Details (tab) Status, Problem Code, driver version?

Problem Code on Surface Keyboard Backlight - 0000001F Driver Version 1.1.365.0

Device {4E781CFC-87EE-459B-A319-9B0531EB7485}\SurfaceKeyboardBacklight\8&36aae940&0&0 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem84.inf
Class Guid: {4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Service: WUDFRd
Lower Filters: 
Upper Filters: 
Problem: 0x1F
Problem Status: 0xC0000001

Edited by Edrick Smith

First, I'm going to admit I'm a bit stumped and don't really have a suspected cause in mind.

Still, a few more things to try:

In Services.msc, verify that the service Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework is set to Automatic and running, not disabled.

Try the two-finger restart if this still works on the SP4 by holding down volume up + power until the device restarts.

I'm seeing some indications that driver installations from older hardware can cause issues (e.g. you plug in an old camera and drivers automatically install, but bork other devices), but nothing too specific.

So to update on the fix, I had to uninstall the driver BUT I didn't notice there was a checkbox to remove the driver also. So once I uninstalled the device plus checked remove driver it re-installed the driver and added the device correctly. No more trackpad issue.