Quick question regarding replacement USB cables for External Hard Drive

Hello, All,

My friend recently gave me back a 1 TB Seagate Backup Plus external Hard Drive that I had leant him for months....only problem was that he did not return it with a USB Cable. I tried a standard USB to Micro-USB phone charger cable and sure enough the drive was recognized and worked. What's odd is that the back connection of the external hard drive is shaped to fit the cable linked below:

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Original-Expansion-Portable-External/dp/B01EL7618C/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_lp_t_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HWMA5CNG7DTKR69C3Z3K

However I was using a standard USB to Micro USB cable and it still worked fine? My question is- Is it unsafe to use my current USB cable with it considering the Micro side is designed to have 2 parts like the cable linked above?  Additionally, how is the drive even working when the USB cable being used isn't plugged in to the right side of the attached photo at all. Please advise if I should buy the linked USB cable off of Amazon or am I fine keeping a current phone charger type cable like the Anker Powerline. THANK YOU NEOWIN! 

er2-65404.jpg

Hello,

The drive will still operate with a USB 2.0 Micro B connector, but just at a slower speed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky