• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Chelsea Manning Leaves Prison, Closing an Extraordinary Leak Case

oldtimefighter    3,070

OmQvY0Rl_400x400.thumb.png.7dca7bfe08b48eb8cc0720cb45027957.png

WASHINGTON — Chelsea Manning walked freely out of the military prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., on Wednesday, bringing to a close one of the most extraordinary criminal cases in American history over the leaking of government secrets to the public.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/politics/chelsea-manning-leaves-prison.html

+Human.Online    8,257

How is this person walking free?

Political, social and public agendas aside - are their actions not treasonous?

oldtimefighter    3,070
39 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

How is this person walking free?

Political, social and public agendas aside - are their actions not treasonous?

That is a matter of opinion but Chelsea Manning was convicted of violations of the Espionage Act and other offenses which "she" severed seven years in prison (twice as long as any previous leak case). Why is "she" walking free? President Obama (maybe you heard of him?) commuted (aka no pardon) "her" remaining sentence. You don't know these basic facts?

+Human.Online    8,257
5 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

That is a matter of opinion but Chelsea Manning was convicted of violations of the Espionage Act and other offenses which "she" severed seven years in prison (twice as long as any previous leak case). Why is "she" walking free? President Obama (maybe you heard of him?) commuted (aka no pardon) "her" remaining sentence. You don't know these basic facts?

OK, how about removing the snippy attitude, eh?

Yes I know the facts behind the case.  The question I am asking is why the sentence was commuted.

oldtimefighter    3,070
9 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Yes I know the facts behind the case.  The question I am asking is why the sentence was commuted.

The President said so... I already mentioned "she" severed seven years which was twice as long as any previous leak case. The original 35 year sentence was ridiculous for this case.

• Like 1

Astra.Xtreme    2,734
6 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Because Obama felt it was a nice farewell gift to forgive several hundred criminals.  You know, because the law doesn't matter in their eyes.

ctebah    3,161

Hopefully this doesn't scare others from coming forward and letting the public know about the things our governments do.

oldtimefighter    3,070
19 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Because Obama felt it was a nice farewell gift to forgive several hundred criminals.  You know, because the law doesn't matter in their eyes.

Obama is special huh? Almost every President has commuted or pardoned hundreds of criminals in modern times. It's not "forgiveness". #facepalm It is an Executive check on the Judaical branch which is a Constitution thing...look it up.

• Like 2

Astra.Xtreme    2,734
54 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Obama is special huh? Almost every President has commuted or pardoned hundreds of criminals in modern times. It's not "forgiveness". #facepalm It is an Executive check on the Judaical branch which is a Constitution thing...look it up.

I don't care who's done it in the past...  The law is the law, and allowing people to bypass their sentence diminishes the point of the court system.

Funny you mention the Constitution seeing as Obama seemed to have no regard for it during his presidency.  But hey, that liberal double standard...:rolleyes:

+Human.Online    8,257
1 hour ago, oldtimefighter said:

The original 35 year sentence was ridiculous for this case.

This is the answer I was looking for.

• Like 1

ctebah    3,161
9 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

I don't care who's done it in the past...  The law is the law, and allowing people to bypass their sentence diminishes the point of the court system.

True, but the President also has the right to do so under the law granted to him by the constitution.  

Obama also had one of the fewest numbers of pardons...

Astra.Xtreme    2,734
Just now, ctebah said:

True, but the President also has the right to do so under the law granted to him by the constitution.  

You're certainly right, though I wouldn't want them to abuse that power by pardoning murderers or people that have shown to be a menace to society. Kind of seems like one of those loopholes that's more ethically wrong than legally wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 1

LaP    2,087
35 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Funny you mention the Constitution seeing as Obama seemed to have no regard for it during his presidency.  But hey, that liberal double standard...:rolleyes:

At least he did 7 years. If i remember correctly Scooter Libby did not do a single day right?

• Like 1

oldtimefighter    3,070
4 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Double standard? Obama and every other President has a Constitutional right to commute sentences and pardon people which I have no problem with. You are the one that seems to have a problem with it but I bet this was never an issue to you until the end of the Obama Presidency. Am I right? That is a double standard! LOL You really should take a Constitution 101 class.

4 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

You're certainly right, though I wouldn't want them to abuse that power by pardoning murderers or people that have shown to be a menace to society. Kind of seems like one of those loopholes that's more ethically wrong than legally wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Can you please name what murderers were pardoned by Obama?

• Like 1