169.254 DHCP problem on WIFI

Hi guys, I have had a problem with my network which I've been trying to sort out over the last day or two but have had no luck. All of a sudden, the 2 computers (laptop and desktop running windows 7) in my office have stopped working on wifi. Since then I have moved the laptop into the same room as the router to see if it was a signal problem. I tried connecting via ethernet to see if it was just my internet and setup in general and everything on LAN seems OK. Both my wife and I can connect via WIFI with our android phones and use the internet. I have uninstalled and updated NIC drivers on my laptop. I have tried using the small wifi dongle that I often use for raspberry pi and still no connection. When I get the IP of the adapters using DHCP, I get a 169.254.x.x which points to a DHCP timeout. I can see all of the wireless networks around me including mine but can't connect to any of them (including android hotspot). Setting the IP to static, I get the same thing, 'connected' to the network but not actually connected. I cannot ping the modem or router from these computers. Again, this problem only exists on the 2 computers in my office.

I have a TP-Link modem plugged into an asus rt-ac68 router which has been configured properly and been working for months. Everything is fine everywhere else except wifi on these 2 computers. Please help me.

Are you able to take the laptop out of your house, and connect to any wifi ?  I know you said they wont connect to an android hotspot - but it might help to flush the settings, get it out of the environment altogether, and try connecting to something, anything.... for no other reason than to isolate the issue.

Have you tried running a repair on the wireless cards.

Did you or someone put the devices on a blocked list, can you verify?

How do you run a repair on the wireless cards? I have done a factory reset on the router with no luck before restoring settings again, so I doubt it's blocked but how would I check that?

Are you able to take the laptop out of your house, and connect to any wifi ?  I know you said they wont connect to an android hotspot - but it might help to flush the settings, get it out of the environment altogether, and try connecting to something, anything.... for no other reason than to isolate the issue.

I haven't done this yet, I wouldn't have access to another WIFI network until tuesday but if that does work, how exactly would I do that for my desktop.

Hello,

Have the desktop and notebook computers running Microsoft Windows 7 recently installed an operating system or security update?  If so, try rolling it back temporarily to see if that makes any difference.  If not, maybe something is wrong with the router?

It looks like there are two different models in the ASUS RT-AC68 series of residential broadband gateway routers:

You might want to try disconnecting all devices from the network except the wired connection for one computer, downloading the latest firmware for the router, powering the router down, resetting the router to factory defaults, reinstalling its firmware from the laptop, re-configuring the router to your preferred settings and then reconnecting the various local devices to see if they have connectivity to each other.  Then, go ahead and connect the TP-Link cable modem to the router, and see if all the devices maintain local connectivity and then have Internet access after the modem syncs up with your ISP and the router.

Another possibility might be something wrong with the cable modem.  From looking on TP-Link's web site, it looks like they provide links to firmware, so it may be necessary to flash the modem as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I have already upgraded the firmware and reset to factory on the router where the DHCP server is (see original post), and do you really think that upgrading the modem will fix it? I mean I will try but the problem is not with the internet as I have a range of devices on the network running correctly with internet. At this point I will try anything but I honestly don't think it will do anything.

I had this same issue, i had to manually enter the ip of my computer in order to fix it. but i have my network set up to where each of our families devices have their own assigned ip address instead of allowing the router to randomly assign each devicethier own. If you know what your networks ip set up is,  and what ip address your system was before this error occured. Go into your contol panel > network and sharing center.

fw1fpXw.jpg

Below view basic network information and settings you will see

Access type : internet

connections: ethernet or wireless network name

UQ4wpV4.jpg

Click on ethernet or wireless network name. it will bring up a dialog box. click on properties.

g7c1Nzo.jpg

then find internet protocol version 4.

7TdZv4G.jpg

It will bring up another dialog box and check the box use the  following ip address.

CaICzPU.png

ip address: enter ip or your computer

Subnet mask: enter the subnet mask of your ip range

gateway ip address: enter your router's ip address (same ip you use to access router settings)

check the box use the following DNS server address. (manually enter your providers preferred and alternate dns servers ip's

preferred dns address: ip address of your ISP's dns server (can find this out by searching for your providers dns address on google)

alternate dns address: ip address or your ISP's dns server (same as above)

If you can't find your ISP's dns server addresses you can use googles dns addresses which is 8.8.8.8 (preferred) and 8.8.4.4 (alternate) for IPv4 service.

after entering this info in click ok and that should fix your issue, you can also restart your computer to make sure these setting stick and are able to access the wifi and internet.

Hopefully fixes this issue like it did for me.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:34 PM, Cpl. Fatty said:

How do you run a repair on the wireless cards? I have done a factory reset on the router with no luck before restoring settings again, so I doubt it's blocked but how would I check that?

I haven't done this yet, I wouldn't have access to another WIFI network until tuesday but if that does work, how exactly would I do that for my desktop.

It wont, what it will do is let you know where the problems lies (then you focus your efforts)

If you take the laptop out, go anywhere & hop on a wifi - & can pass data - then you know the problem is not with your computer(s).

Stop dealing with WIndows fixes, patches, fw updates, etc...

Did you disable 802.11n OR 2.4GHz on your router ?  (or some variable which only affects 2 devices (computers) on your network.

If both devices stopped working @ the same time, and other things have no issue connecting - it would make sense the computers are not the issue.  (meaning it is something the 2 computers have in common that the network isnt alllowing)

Hello,

I am unsure if reflashing the cable modem will have any effect, however, it can at least be done as a troubleshooting step to rule out a problem with it.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Just to update everyone and close the thread, I found the issue. I uninstalled zenmap and restarted my computer and bingo. Thanks to everyone who helped. I suppose I will still need to find a solution with zenmap.

• Like 2

zenmap would have nothing to do with it.. zenmap is just a gui to nmap - that is all.

Now what could of been an issue would of been the npcap driver hook that is added into your network interface for ability for nmap to send out stuff via your nic, etc. It is the newer version of winpcap for sniffing and such..  That would be the only thing that might have gone wrong.

I can tell you I use nmap and zenmap with it all the time, and have zero issues with dhcp.. So not sure what exactly the OP did that could of caused a problem..  It really is just click the exe to install and should of been fine.  If he had it trying to do integration into his wireless card with npcap guess that would be the only thing that could cause a problem.  But I use it for wired and wireless and have seen no such issues.

npcap.png

40 minutes ago, BudMan said:

zenmap would have nothing to do with it.. zenmap is just a gui to nmap - that is all.

Now what could of been an issue would of been the npcap driver hook that is added into your network interface for ability for nmap to send out stuff via your nic, etc. It is the newer version of winpcap for sniffing and such..  That would be the only thing that might have gone wrong.

I can tell you I use nmap and zenmap with it all the time, and have zero issues with dhcp.. So not sure what exactly the OP did that could of caused a problem..  It really is just click the exe to install and should of been fine.  If he had it trying to do integration into his wireless card with npcap guess that would be the only thing that could cause a problem.  But I use it for wired and wireless and have seen no such issues.

npcap.png

I had the same problem with nmap v7.4. After uninstalling it I am able to connect to wireless networks again on my work machine running Windows 7. Might be a bug with npcap in this version.

What version of npcap are you running current is 0.86, I have 7.4 nmap and zenmap installed.

Hate to Monday morning QB this - and be captain obvious - but I agree - it would have to be some kind of driver hook which edited some kind handshake methodology.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:35 AM, BudMan said:

What version of npcap are you running current is 0.86, I have 7.4 nmap and zenmap installed.

Not sure since I already removed it. However, it was whatever version that was bundled with the nmap 7.4 installer. 

the installer has older version.. .78 r5

npcap.thumb.png.1521a67c433b621f25db9ab8fac17ebc.png

The current version is now .91 which you can grab here an update on its own.

https://nmap.org/npcap/

If you do not plan on doing raw wifi sniffing - then don't install that wifi hook would be my suggestion.

wifihook.thumb.png.e945667f248d06b03fa4c1748d73f37f.png

• Like 3