Very odd behavior with dual monitor and icons

I am using Stardock Fences to organize my desktop icons, but lately after the computer has waken up from sleep, the icons all seem to shift from the left monitor (4K) to the second monitor (2K) and just as randomly shift back, and where it is usable, it is very frustrating because since the resolution has changed the fences scale down, so I suddenly have to scroll through the fence as opposed to having it all visible. The question is: Is the issue windows or is the issue Fences? 

Anyone ever had this issue? I just reinstalled the OS and the issue still persists.

1 hour ago, xendrome said:

Never had/seen this issue with Windows so it must be Fences.

My guess as well

41 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I'll make a guess and say it's fences, I rock a triple screen, and had no symptoms like that, (even when they weren't all the same res)

figured it might be, I already contacted stardock support, just waiting for a reply.

What happens when you try to organise tour desktop without fences?

Only desktop mod I've ever had was displayfusion, and that was just to set up my wallpaper so it lines up correctly. (Screen set up is 2 1 3 when you identify displays)

I have all my desktop icons along the bottom of the central screen.

My browsers and software that are set to open on my side screens - open as set....

1 minute ago, The Evil Overlord said:

What happens when you try to organise tour desktop without fences?

Only desktop mod I've ever had was displayfusion, and that was just to set up my wallpaper so it lines up correctly. (Screen set up is 2 1 3 when you identify displays)

I have all my desktop icons along the bottom of the central screen.

My browsers and software that are set to open on my side screens - open as set....

I'll play around with it and see what happens.

i experience this all the time w/ my laptop/monitor set up. i dont use Fences (not even sure what that is!)

if my laptop screen and monitor turn off for power saving, as soon as i wake them, my laptop's screen turns on first and the monitor will take another couple of seconds. this is long enough that the laptop thinks there's no external display so it tries to shift the primary desktop from the monitor to the laptop screen. all my desktop icons jump around as does any open programs. after it's sorted out and my primary desktop is back on the ext monitor, i then have to reposition all of my programs and icons over again. it's very annoying. ive never found a fix.

when i work from home, my work laptop does the same thing.

2 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

i experience this all the time w/ my laptop/monitor set up. i dont use Fences (not even sure what that is!)

if my laptop screen and monitor turn off for power saving, as soon as i wake them, my laptop's screen turns on first and the monitor will take another couple of seconds. this is long enough that the laptop thinks there's no external display so it tries to shift the primary desktop from the monitor to the laptop screen. all my desktop icons jump around as does any open programs. after it's sorted out and my primary desktop is back on the ext monitor, i then have to reposition all of my programs and icons over again. it's very annoying. ive never found a fix.

when i work from home, my work laptop does the same thing.

Have you tried turning off the power saver settings, (and physically turning off the external) On my laptop, that is how I get around that. Someone told me it was my cable, but I've tried different cables and it did the same thing...

2 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Have you tried turning off the power saver settings, (and physically turning off the external) On my laptop, that is how I get around that. Someone told me it was my cable, but I've tried different cables and it did the same thing...

i can try that

I get sometime similar to this, I believe it's to do with different display connectors and auto-detect.

So if I have my icons on my Display port monitor and turn that off, my icons all jump over to my DVI monitor.

However if I do it the other way round, nothing happens, it's like turning off DP makes the PC think there's no monitor there at all, rather than just it's switched off.

I just shifted it around so my DP was my main, so even if i don;t need the 2nd monitor and it's off, nothing changes.

What are yours monitor connections OP?

This could happen if the monitor is being detected as a TV, because the card literally powers down the port when you lock the PC, I had the same thing on my Quad HD screens but I switched around ports (can't remember what I did now lol) but I screwed around long enough until both monitors were not detected as a TV. Power settings, as suggested above might work too :)

My sister has something similar going on with her laptop + dual monitor setup. (total of 3 screens)

She has 2 24" LCD on each side of her ThinkPad.  The ThinkPad has a different rez than the 2 monitors.

She can not utilize a section of her laptop screen (can move icons to a part of the desktop.  If she moves an icon to that section, it disappears.
There are no "anomolies" on the side screens.   IMO it was just Windows 10 & intel grfx chipset being a PITA with multi monitors.

I didnt even know what to tell her to try and do.

24 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

My sister has something similar going on with her laptop + dual monitor setup. (total of 3 screens)

She has 2 24" LCD on each side of her ThinkPad.  The ThinkPad has a different rez than the 2 monitors.

She can not utilize a section of her laptop screen (can move icons to a part of the desktop.  If she moves an icon to that section, it disappears.
There are no "anomolies" on the side screens.   IMO it was just Windows 10 & intel grfx chipset being a PITA with multi monitors.

I didnt even know what to tell her to try and do.

Can you not use the Intel display control panel to force the correct resolutions for the screens? (bypassing the windows display properties). I had to fiddle around with mine too when I was using the onboard Intel 4400, using the Intel display properties, not Windows.

3 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Can you not use the Intel display control panel to force the correct resolutions for the screens? (bypassing the windows display properties). I had to fiddle around with mine too when I was using the onboard Intel 4400, using the Intel display properties, not Windows.

She is in the UK right now, but when she gets back, I will try to keep messing around in the intel display software (FWIW - I was using that as opposed to Display Properties in Windows)
It was pretty strange...

34 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

She is in the UK right now, but when she gets back, I will try to keep messing around in the intel display software (FWIW - I was using that as opposed to Display Properties in Windows)
It was pretty strange...

afaik you can even force (supported) screen sizes with it, just have a look around on Google for that issue. Good luck! :p

4 hours ago, Steven P. said:

afaik you can even force (supported) screen sizes with it, just have a look around on Google for that issue. Good luck! :p

Appreciated - yes I messed with it a bit, and that was the 1st place I went - but this one is a weird glitch - I'll chk it out again (Y)

On 6/1/2017 at 8:04 AM, philcruicks said:

I get sometime similar to this, I believe it's to do with different display connectors and auto-detect.

So if I have my icons on my Display port monitor and turn that off, my icons all jump over to my DVI monitor.

However if I do it the other way round, nothing happens, it's like turning off DP makes the PC think there's no monitor there at all, rather than just it's switched off.

I just shifted it around so my DP was my main, so even if i don;t need the 2nd monitor and it's off, nothing changes.

What are yours monitor connections OP?

Both are connected via DP. I contacted Stardock and they basically exhausted troubleshooting and said it must be related to DisplayFusion. I have opened a trouble ticket with Binary Fortress regarding DisplayFusion and am awaiting a reply. @Steven P. both of my monitors are monitors, not TV's so there is not an issue with that.

43 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Both are connected via DP. I contacted Stardock and they basically exhausted troubleshooting and said it must be related to DisplayFusion. I have opened a trouble ticket with Binary Fortress regarding DisplayFusion and am awaiting a reply. @Steven P. both of my monitors are monitors, not TV's so there is not an issue with that.

Can you try hooking up your secondary/one that doesn't have icon's on with DVI rather than DP, see how that affects behaviour.

3 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

That doesn't matter. I have identical 27" Philips monitors, but depending on how they are connected one is seen as a monitor and the other as a TV. It matters which ports you use and I can choose from three (hdmi seen as a TV), vga and DVI).

28 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

That doesn't matter. I have identical 27" Philips monitors, but depending on how they are connected one is seen as a monitor and the other as a TV. It matters which ports you use and I can choose from three (hdmi seen as a TV), vga and DVI).

OK, both of mine are connected via displayport.

An update: I contacted both Stardock and Binary Fortress regarding this issue, Stardock tried a few things but decided that it was related to Display Fusion. Binary Fortress support was awesome and in 3 days time came up with a workaround to the issue and stated that they are going to add a permanent fix in the upcoming version. The issue was related to the multi monitor task bar, and if it was disabled then the icons stayed put, but if it is enabled they jump. So the workaround uses a script to delay the loading of the task bar for 3000ms at startup.

• Like 2