• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Can teachers view your deleted search history on a school chrome book?

Question

Sammyzenithme    0

So my teacher wasn't here and we had a sub. When she was here some idiots in my class were not working on their school computers. (Each student has a user and pass) our sub complained and when our teacher returned, she wanted to see who had been on websites we weren't supposed to be on. She said she'll call a person who can login to our search history using our usernames, to the entire period. I got on my computer and cleared my history from the beginning of time. Can it still be viewed? Asking for a friend.

• Facepalm 1

sc302    1,779
7 hours ago, Minerals said:

Oh wow. Now that I think about it, that makes a lot of sense.. Sorry for being dumb and wasting your time. Thanks for the reply too!

We are here to help.  And help the community to understand.  

RobertLucas    0
On 11/2/2019 at 1:53 AM, QwertyLover said:

I know this is late, but the correct answer is yes, they can see your search history.

Nope, 

There are less chances that they can see your browsing history and activity if you follow the right path.

Like one of the way that I used when I was in a college to hide my history and activity is that I used VPN service and a proxy. There can be many other options but I was only familiar with these other than using incognito modes.

adrynalyne    13,021
5 minutes ago, RobertLucas said:

Nope, 

There are less chances that they can see your browsing history and activity if you follow the right path.

Like one of the way that I used when I was in a college to hide my history and activity is that I used VPN service and a proxy. There can be many other options but I was only familiar with these other than using incognito modes.

False. Schools (At least here) monitor their chrome books. 

thechronic    186

Google saves your web search history and other activity online - even if you clear your history on the device itself, you still have to delete it from myactivity.google.com. At the very least if it's not your own personal Google account, your activity is almost certainly logged there and if you used an assigned google account then you're screwed. 

Plus schools use a variety of software and hardware that makes it possible to monitor internet usage (in most cases anyway). This would make it possible to identify a device, the time it was used as well as internet activity. 

Means of tracking an individual device include: IP Address, Mac Address, Device Name for example. 
Means of proving who used it: Process of elimination with the above, which classroom had or has these particular chromebooks, the Google Account associated with the device, the terms you searched for

Edited by thechronic

sc302    1,779
47 minutes ago, RobertLucas said:

Nope, 

If it is their device or you gave them the ability to load whatever on your computer or you ran any package per their request, all bets are off.   Lots of spy software/hardware that can see everything and anything you do, regardless if you vpn or not.   It could be in their written policy for them to monitor your activity but you will not know to what depths.   It truly depends on them/on what they implement.   Don’t falsely assume you are safe because you use one encryption technology, it doesn’t fully protect you.