Locked Smartphone

I seem to have a problem not quite like most others I've seen. Not sure there's anything to do besides throw away the phone and save up money to buy a new one.

From the beginning....I had a Virgin mobile "dumb phone" for many years which worked fine without any problems including administrative ones. I had a good relationship with VM until now when my dumb phone died. Since I had a sizable account balance with VM the only real choice was to buy        another phone from them using that balance. VM sold me an Alcatel Dawn which I was never told would be "locked" for a year into the lowest plan cost they had for smartphone services. All the research I've done about unlocking the phone tells me that either VM has to unlock the phone, or I have the right to unlock it myself (because I own the phone) using a paid service. But I'm not sure if VM can or would make the phone inoperable with anyone else such as Consumer Cellular which I can better afford, even though all the research I've done for the Alcatel Dawn says it's usable on both GSM and CDMA networks. However there's also a mention about VM programming the phones they sell with software that kills the phone if you unlock it      without their help.

For what it's worth it seems obvious to me that VM customer service has become non-existent in the cut throat cell phone industry, and it doesn't  matter them that I was a good customer for years having already spent a lot of money with the products they offered. Doesn't seem to matter that when I finally do leave Virgin Mobile under these circumstances that were virtually forced on me I'll never come back or recommend anyone else to go with VM. If any company ever needed strict government regulation it's Virgin Mobile, and I'm not a big government guy. 

I'd appreciate any help or direction on this matter from anyone including "unlock" reference from services that are willing to explain the complications, risks if any, possibilities or impossibilities involved using this phone with VM and/or Consumer Cellular if and when I use such unlock services. 

30 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

Doesn't VM offer unlocking after the contract ends?

Yes, if I understand what is meant by "contract". VM says it will not unlock the phone for one year. If one year is the so called contract period of time then that's what they say they will do. In any case however, for what it's worth I don't understand why VM must be the unlocker since VM is owned by Sprint and that's the network that I'm apparently locked to. Why then can't Sprint unlock it, especially since they're the corporate owners of VM? This seems like a very convenient "you scratch my back as long as I wash yours, BECAUSE I SAY SO" Just creates more questions than answers and makes things even less understandable and customer friendly. What's more I can't find any fine print anywhere about that one year (if it's a contract), because all I did was to call VM and ask what they could do when their dumb phone died and they sent me the Alcatel Dawn after they charged my account balance to pay for it. Then I got it and followed directions to activate. So none of what VM is willing to do addresses their plan cost that I can't afford now, never mind for the next 12 months. I need to go to a plan that I can afford, which is Consumer Cellular for HALF of what VM charges. Talk about gouging!

Edited by SCREWED
additional info

19 minutes ago, SCREWED said:

Yes, if I understand what is meant by "contract". VM says it will not unlock the phone for one year. If one year is the so called contract period of time then that's what they say they will do. In any case however, for what it's worth I don't understand why VM must be the unlocker since VM is owned by Sprint and that's the network that I'm apparently locked to. Why then can't Sprint unlock it, especially since they're the corporate owners of VM? This seems like a very convenient "you scratch my back as long as I wash yours, BECAUSE I SAY SO" Just creates more questions than answers and makes things even less understandable and customer friendly.

I agree that it seems screwy, but I had the exact problem a few years ago with Metro-PCS. I owned the phone straight out and after the said period of time was up I called them and asked for the unlock code. They were very nice about explaining to me that the system would not allow them to generate an unlock code until X date. I of course argued with them that I was already past the agreement time and they needed to give me an unlock code. They maintained that they could do it at X date, not before. So I called them back a day after X date, and polity asked them for the unlock code. Again they told me that I needed to wait until another date (~30 days) from said date. At that point I got very p*ssed at them and told them "I will call back in X days, and you will give me the unlock code, or the next time you hear about this is when the FCC is asking your company why they are not allowing this phone to be unlocked" funny thing is I called them back a few days later and obtained the code with no issues..,

But now a few years later I have successfully unlocked a T-Mobile phone as well as 2 Metro-PCS phones using their included apps. 

I just looked at the Virgin Mobile policy:

General Eligibility for Unlocking

Virgin Mobile will assist with unlocking a device under the following circumstances:

The device has not been reported as lost or stolen or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked

The device has been active on the associated account for at least 12 months with the account active at that time

If you believe you meet the above requirements and would like to request that your DSU-capable device be unlocked, contact Virgin Mobile Customer Care by dialing 1-888-322-1122.

Determining your device capabilities

The following is a list of some Boost Mobile's most popular DSU-capable devices. The following list is not necessarily a comprehensive list of Boost Mobile-certified devices.

DeviceDomestic SIM Unlock (DSU)
A domestic SIM unlock allows a device owner to insert another domestic carrier's SIM card into the device in order to attempt to activate the device on that carrier's network.

Apple iPhone 5sX

Apple iPhone 5cX

Apple iPhone 6X

Apple iPhone 6 PlusX

Apple iPhone 6sX

Apple iPhone 6s PlusX

Apple iPhone SEX

HTC One M9X

LG G Flex 2X

LG G4X

Samsung GS6X

Samsung GS6 EdgeX

Samsung GS7X

Samsung GS7 EdgeX

For devices that are not Domestic SIm Unlockable, Sprint maybe able to provide a Master Susidy Lock ("MSL") code to eligible customers.

The MSL code was utilized with many devices manufactured prior to February 2015. While Virgin Mobile can provide the MSL code to eligible customers, this does not mean that the device will be accepted by another carrier or interoperate with another carrier's network. Whether another carrier will accept and activate a device is subject to that carrier's policies and capabilities. Additionally, Sprint devices which the owner has attempted to reprogram or activate on another carrier's network or otherwise altered from its initial programming or settings may not be able to be reactivated with Virgin Mobile services.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I agree that it seems screwy, but I had the exact problem a few years ago with Metro-PCS. I owned the phone straight out and after the said period of time was up I called them and asked for the unlock code. They were very nice about explaining to me that the system would not allow them to generate an unlock code until X date. I of course argued with them that I was already past the agreement time and they needed to give me an unlock code. They maintained that they could do it at X date, not before. So I called them back a day after X date, and polity asked them for the unlock code. Again they told me that I needed to wait until another date (~30 days) from said date. At that point I got very p*ssed at them and told them "I will call back in X days, and you will give me the unlock code, or the next time you hear about this is when the FCC is asking your company why they are not allowing this phone to be unlocked" funny thing is I called them back a few days later and obtained the code with no issues..,

But now a few years later I have successfully unlocked a T-Mobile phone as well as 2 Metro-PCS phones using their included apps. 

I just looked at the Virgin Mobile policy:

Thanks jnelsoninjax, and I also looked at those VM policies and I called VM customer service explaining to them nicely that I was obliged  to buy a locked phone from them because of my financial circumstances (like they really care about that), that supposedly could not be unlocked before one year, and that we have enjoyed a mutual good customer service relationship for years. So why could they not cancel this "contract" that does not serve me or them well under the circumstances? Once more they repeated their "apology" and advice to continue paying for a year before they would remove the phone lock. I really don't think I'll do that. First I can't afford it but also I feel I was deceived into an agreement that was never explained purely for VM and Sprint's dollar benefit. If that's how VM and Sprint do 

business they'll never get my vote or business again.   Also I see your reference to Sprint but still don't understand why they cannot (or do not) intervene if they own and control VM. VM seems not only to have a poor customer relations record but what's left of their entire       organization is apparently bananas and unwilling or unable to conduct coherent customers relation communications, and btw they          refused to give me their corporate number which is supposed to be in NJ, when I told them they were forcing me to escalate the matter there. Glad you got your issue resolved, but then you didn't have VM to deal with and in your case Metro PCS seems a better company.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SCREWED said:

Thanks jnelsoninjax, and I also looked at those VM policies and I called VM customer service explaining to them nicely that I was obliged  to buy a locked phone from them because of my financial circumstances (like they really care about that), that supposedly could not be unlocked before one year, and that we have enjoyed a mutual good customer service relationship for years. So why could they not cancel this "contract" that does not serve me or them well under the circumstances? Once more they repeated their "apology" and advice to continue paying for a year before they would remove the phone lock. I really don't think I'll do that. First I can't afford it but also I feel I was deceived into an agreement that was never explained purely for VM and Sprint's dollar benefit. If that's how VM and Sprint do 

business they'll never get my vote or business again.   Also I see your reference to Sprint but still don't understand why they cannot (or do not) intervene if they own and control VM. VM seems not only to have a poor customer relations record but what's left of their entire       organization is apparently bananas and unwilling or unable to conduct coherent customers relation communications, and btw they refused to give me their corporate number which is supposed to be in NJ, when I told them they were forcing me to escalate the matter there. Glad you got your issue resolved, but then you didn't have VM to deal with and in your case Metro PCS seems a better company.

Here you go:

VM.thumb.PNG.1a3ba7a91e16eabd002cb7d5af2f8341.PNG

You also might consider contacting the FCC and explaining the situation to them as well, they are the ones who govern and dictate what the carriers are allowed to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Here you go:

VM.thumb.PNG.1a3ba7a91e16eabd002cb7d5af2f8341.PNG

You also might consider contacting the FCC and explaining the situation to them as well, they are the ones who govern and dictate what the carriers are allowed to do.

Yes, though it seems less likely to me that the FCC would be interested if VM actually means what it says about their "voluntary" commitment to unlock after one year per the FCC February 11, 2015 ruling or agreement. But I'm wondering if my state's Attorney General would be more interested since VM/Sprint is doing business in this state, in my case maybe somewhat unethically. Or what about paying a small fee to an unlock company? That would be relatively inexpensive compared to $ payed  to VM for a year. Recommendations?

• Like 1

There are plenty of companies who advertise unlocking a cell phone, but I am always curious how they are able to do it. I know the forums on XDA (https://forum.xda-developers.com/) are full of this kind of stuff, you might browse through and see if anyone else has had dealing with VM in this regard.

I am thinking that if all else fails, you could certainly look online at Amazon for unlocked phones (sprint if you wish to stay with VM) or any others for allot less then you are looking to pay some company to unlock your phone. Just a glance on Amazon shows me unlocked BLU phones (which my daughter used for over a year and loved it) for $50, so the phone is $50 and if you Check out http://www.mintsim.com

mint.thumb.PNG.240106f329a49225685bde89723596b3.PNG

For ~$40 you can get 3 months of service started, and they use the T-Mobile network, so coverage is going to be really good, no mater where you go! I work on a Navy Base in the back of the base, and I still get 4 to 5 bar signal indoors! So I am thinking for >$100 you might be able to get a phone that is already unlocked and get 3 months of service!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got my phone unlocked by US mobile (www.usmobile.com). They charge $15 to unlock your phone and then you get it back when you've been a customer for half a year. You should be able to unlock your VM phone with them but you can always ask customer support via chat first. Sounds like VM is a real pain in the... I've been using US mobile for about a year now and I pay $17/month so I'm sticking around.