Deaths confirmed after Manchester Arena blast reports

7 minutes ago, Rippleman said:

I did give you my opinion on the story which is what this is about.  Just to be clear, you are now asking a new question now. Are you sure you wish to know? Some one objected to taking this off topic.

Yes, tell me. I'm not one to care whether or not the thread derails a tad.

Your answer will be relevant to our discussion anyway.

1 hour ago, Raze said:

Nonsense.  You assume too much.  And still off-topic.

Im sorry Raze, but these murders are 100% about religion.
You ask for respect, if victims' families are members of neowin, and ask for the thread to be closed - I can understand that in a way, but mentioning the problems with the islamic ideology, actually getting people to discuss the problems, and realize the issue at hand is one of the methods which will help bring tragedies like what happened @ the concert, to an end.

Getting the apologists to be honest, and not try to bury discourse - is exactly what needs to be done.  Educating the uneducated about the ridiculous mindset of many muslims is what will help the world to learn the truth.  So anytime someone plays the ridiculous "oh not all muslims are terrorists" BS, someone can point out - if it is only 20% - that is still 300 million extremists !  And telling the peaceful muslims, who do nothing, they are partly to blame, might convince the world to do something about it.

• Like 2

The Manchester Arena bomber was banned from a city mosque after accusing an Imam of "talking b*****ks" during an anti-ISIS sermon, it is claimed.

Salman Abedi, 22, walked into the arena and detonated an IED on Monday night, killing 22 people,

including children as young as eight.

Victims were leaving an Ariana Grande concert when the university dropout blew himself to pieces with the device, packed with nuts and bolts.

Before the terror attack, Abedi had allegedly been reported to authorities at least five times over his extremist views, but they failed to stop him.

Now, it has been claimed that he was previously banned from a Manchester mosque after criticising the Imam during a sermon against the Islamic State.

Full story: Mirror

Edited by Jim K
Merged

1 minute ago, T3X4S said:

Im sorry Raze, but these murders are 100% about religion.
You ask for respect, if victims' families are members of neowin, and ask for the thread to be closed - I can understand that in a way, but mentioning the problems with the islamic ideology, actually getting people to discuss the problems, and realize the issue at hand is one of the methods which will help bring tragedies like what happened @ the concert, to an end.

Getting the apologists to be honest, and not try to bury discourse - is exactly what needs to be done.  Educating the uneducated about the ridiculous mindset of many muslims is what will help the world to learn the truth.  So anytime someone plays the ridiculous "oh not all muslims are terrorists" BS, someone can point out - if it is only 20% - that is still 300 million extremists !  And telling the peaceful muslims, who do nothing, they are partly to blame, might convince the world to do something about it.

I did not ask for the thread to be closed nor mentioned anything about Neowin family members.

People can discuss what they wish, but as has been pointed out many times before, the religious thread is the place for such discussions.  I didn't quote any one person either.  I just shared my input (first post) about the events and then (second post) about the direction the thread was going.

Look IMO there is a major problem in the world in regards to Islamic extremism and the terrorists that it fosters/encourages/support and, yes, a lot more must be done and in a very drastic way, to put a stop to it.  I almost hate to say it, but to fight fire with fire at times seems to be the only way to end it.  Countries such as Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, among others need to be held accountable.  But that list has to include the western nations who still contribute to the mess with weapons/money (oil revenues, etc.).

Hell, I don't have the answers.

Before the terror attack, Abedi had allegedly been reported to authorities at least five times over his extremist views, but they failed to stop him.

Now, it has been claimed that he was previously banned from a Manchester mosque after criticising the Imam during a sermon against the Islamic State.

Not heading this off at the pass is 100% due to the fear of being labeled "Islamophobic" or similar politically correct fermented bovine excrement. Time to get over such feel good pablum and get busy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Raze said:

I did not ask for the thread to be closed nor mentioned anything about Neowin family members.

People can discuss what they wish, but as has been pointed out many times before, the religious thread is the place for such discussions.  I didn't quote any one person either.  I just shared my input (first post) about the events and then (second post) about the direction the thread was going.

Look IMO there is a major problem in the world in regards to Islamic extremism and the terrorists that it fosters/encourages/support and, yes, a lot more must be done and in a very drastic way, to put a stop to it.  I almost hate to say it, but to fight fire with fire at times seems to be the only way to end it.  Countries such as Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, among others need to be held accountable.  But that list has to include the western nations who still contribute to the mess with weapons/money (oil revenues, etc.).

Hell, I don't have the answers.

I dont have the answers either.
I know you didnt ask for the thread to be closed.  I agree with what you are saying. (Y)

step 1. social media filters.

step 2. hashtag prayers

step 3. hashtag notall

step 4. lightup buildings and monuments.

step 5. politician says to not let this change a thing.

step 6. wait until more children are blown up

goto: step 1.

22 hours ago, T3X4S said:

I dont think you read my post.  You took a couple of words out of context.

I wasn't disagreeing with anything you said, rather your comments sparked me to make mine.

On 5/27/2017 at 1:32 AM, seta-san said:

step 1. social media filters.

step 2. hashtag prayers

step 3. hashtag notall

step 4. lightup buildings and monuments.

step 5. politician says to not let this change a thing.

step 6. wait until more children are blown up

goto: step 1.

And that pretty much sums up the MO whenever things like this happen.

The " I want everyone to think Im nice and care" people who post "Pray for UK" on facebook.  The twits who tweet #unitedbehindUK or some crap.
Then nothing.  

A big problem is the "peaceful muslims" who do nothing.  The silent majority, the same silent majority of germans who didn't agree with Hitler's nazis, the same silent majority of christians who just want to live their lives peacefully and dont care about the crap the catholic church pulls in N Africa - the ones who do nothing.

But, the question remains - what can be done ?

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:10 AM, DocM said:

Not heading this off at the pass is 100% due to the fear of being labeled "Islamophobic" or similar politically correct fermented bovine excrement. Time to get over such feel good pablum and get busy.

DocM please do expand on what "heading this off at the pass" means ?

Why do you speak in such vague terms ?

3 hours ago, TPreston said:

Leave an escape route when the libs come a runnin ? :p

4 hours ago, TPreston said:

Because I'm from the upper Midwest. We talk funny. 

It means stop it before it started. They were warned, several times, but political correctness stopped them from preventing a disaster; fear of being called islamophobic etc. Authorities everywhere are doing this and it needs to stop. Yesterday. It's nothing less than slow-motion cultural seppuku.

2 hours ago, DocM said:

It means stop it before it started. They were warned, several times, but political correctness stopped them from preventing a disaster; fear of being called islamophobic etc.

Explain how what could they have done to prevent this ? What were they warned about ? I'm all ears.

Authorities everywhere are doing this and it needs to stop. Yesterday. It's nothing less than slow-motion cultural seppuku.

Doing what ?

28 minutes ago, TPreston said:

Explain how what could they have done to prevent this ? What were they warned about ? I'm all ears.

Community worker, hotlines, family, and a leak the US  warned about him

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/salman-abedi-manchester-attack-reported-family-imam-friends-did-nothing-a7757726.html

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/24/muslim-community-worker-warned-officers-about-manchester-bomber-five-years-ago-6659964/

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/808808/Manchester-terror-bombing-explosion-attack-Salman-Abedi-anti-terror-hotline-warnings

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3636365/manchester-bomber-salman-abedi-family-warning-dangerous-terror-attack/

Doing what ?

Anything but nothing, for a start. Clearly, policies and laws are insufficient but fear of being called islamophobic etc. dulls their willingness to make changes and get more aggressive. That needs to change. 

2 hours ago, DocM said:

Thank you for refuting the claims of the previous posters here. If I provide evidence of a non muslim terrorist who was reported multiple times to intelligence services but was successful would you also conclude this was due to fear of being called islamophobic ?

17 minutes ago, TPreston said:

Thank you for refuting the claims of the previous posters here. If I provide evidence of a non muslim terrorist who was reported multiple times to intelligence services but was successful would you also conclude this was due to fear of being called islamophobic ?

Fear of islamophobic and related accusations is only one factor. Incompetence and low intestinal fortitude are others. Long list.

2 hours ago, DocM said:

Fear of islamophobic and related accusations is only one factor. Incompetence and low intestinal fortitude are others. Long list.

And somewhere at the top is luck followed by your investigations being successful.

3 hours ago, DocM said:

Tabloids as sources, Doc? Really? :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

May 23, NBC News

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/national-international/Officials-Manchester-Bomber-was-Local-Man-of-Libyan-Descent-423914213.html

UK Bomber Had al Qaeda Ties, Terrorist Training: Officials

Salman Abedi, the 22-year-old man believed to have killed 22 people in a suspected suicide bombing, had ties to al Qaeda and had received terrorist training abroad, a U.S. intelligence official told NBC News Tuesday.

The U.S. intelligence official, who has direct knowledge of the investigation, said Abedi was identified by a bank card found in his pocket at the scene of the explosion at Manchester Arena following an Ariana Grande concert. 

Abedi had traveled to Libya within the last 12 months, one of the multiple countries he had visited, the official said. And while he had "clear ties to al Qaeda," the official said, Abedi could have also had connections to other groups.

His own family, of Libyan descent, had even informed authorities about him in the past, telling British officials that he was dangerous, according to the intelligence official.

• 1 month later...