Really bad luck with SSDs or is it something else?

Hi everyone,

For my wife's computer we have gone thru about 5 SSDs in a 3 year period. 3 of those SSDs have been within an 8 month period. The first was a crucial drive the 2nd was a plextor drive, the last 3 have been Sandisk drives. The crazy thing with this is I have the exact same hardware setup as she does and but have only had 1 SSD failure in about 5 years.  Do you think its just luck or something weird with the hardware?

i would just say bad luck, my dad has gone thru a couple of ssds, and most mb's with stop overvoltage dead in its tracks also drivers/bios wont have anything to do with an ssd dying

It's possible that it's noisy power getting transmitted to your PC components.  You'd have to do a power analysis to know for sure, but if it is noisy power, it could be caused by:

1.  Faulty power supply in your PC.

2.  Noisy power coming from your wall outlet, which is then transmitted through your PC power supply.

What you could do is install a power conditioner on that outlet.  Something like this would work:

https://www.amazon.com/APC-2-Outlet-Mount-Power-Filter/dp/B000OF4R8C

Or something equivalent depending on what your wall voltage/frequency is.

Or maybe it's something as simple as faulty power and/or sata connectors connected to the SSD.  Those are easy enough to swap out.

5 hours ago, Gotenks98 said:

Hi everyone,

For my wife's computer we have gone thru about 5 SSDs in a 3 year period. 3 of those SSDs have been within an 8 month period. The first was a crucial drive the 2nd was a plextor drive, the last 3 have been Sandisk drives. The crazy thing with this is I have the exact same hardware setup as she does and but have only had 1 SSD failure in about 5 years.  Do you think its just luck or something weird with the hardware?

1. What is specs of each computer?

2. Are they used the same? Or is different software being used on each.

3. Are external devices being plugged in to either?

4. Also what size and model numbers were the SSDs?

Sounds like something else is going on, 5 SSDs in only a 3 year period is extreme. One SSD in a 3 year period would be extreme. My Samsung SSD from 2012 finally bit the bucket, and I believe that was more so a board issue than the actual SSD.

Very strange. I've fitted countless SSDs in clients machines over a 5 year period and none have failed. The only drive to fail on me was a Sandisk pre fitted into an HP system. I use Samsung drives primarily.

There is not enough information yet to even begin to speculate on a cause for a rather mysterious situation.

The voltage thing is just plain silly unless the computers are located in a lightning strike zone.

Drat. Here is me, speculating, after I just said it is too early.

Any chance the computer is unplugged for long periods of time? Flash RAM loses information if it is not regularly powered up. That is why a SSD should never be used for backup. 

5 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

It's possible that it's noisy power getting transmitted to your PC components.  You'd have to do a power analysis to know for sure, but if it is noisy power, it could be caused by:

1.  Faulty power supply in your PC.

2.  Noisy power coming from your wall outlet, which is then transmitted through your PC power supply.

This.

I had a problem couple of years ago and it was option 2. Components in my PC just kept dying on a regular basis. GPU. MB+PSU. HD. RAM. I think only the CPU and sound card resisted. I had 4 components or combo of components dying on me in 5 years.

Problem was the outlet was not properly grounded and my "surge protector" was a basic 6 outlets bar. Was not a problem for lamps and such but for the PC it was. I "grounded" the outlet properly and bought a good surge protector. Since then i think i only had one component dying on me in the last 9 years.

Edited by LaP

15 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Any chance the computer is unplugged for long periods of time? Flash RAM loses information if it is not regularly powered up. That is why a SSD should never be used for backup. 

I thought that was debunked.

When you say the drives are failing - how? Boot failure, bad sectors, corrupt data, PC doesn't see the drive?

15 minutes ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

Yep, it was definitely debunked: https://www.micron.com/about/blogs/2015/may/addressing-data-retention-in-ssds

Well actually the original article that triggered the concern was more of a click-bait article.  It made some bold claim about data possibly lasting only a week, but I think the caveat was it had to be in an extremely hot environment, which is unrealistic for typical use.

Nobody is going to put an exact number on it, for legal reasons, but I would think that a SSD or any sort of flash device would be completely fine for well over 5 years in a powered off state.  I mean, how many USB flash sticks have you had sitting in a drawer for 5+ years that still had all the data on them? I've definitely had a couple that were just fine.

32 minutes ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_memory

"An article from CMU in 2015 writes that "Today's flash devices, which do not require flash refresh, have a typical retention age of 1 year at room temperature."

And from this data sheet http://www.cypress.com/file/202316/download the data retention is degraded if the cell has write wear on it.

I am not referring to the sensationalist articles that appeared a few years back (which were ridiculously claiming data retention measured in days) but that doesn't mean there isn't any concern and simply that due caution needs to be exercised when considering a SSD for backup purposes.

Simply put, I would not consider using a SSD for backup and it is a strong recommendation that I stand by that SSD is not a good vehicle for backup.

But for the purpose of this thread, I didn't think it through. The wife's computer would need to be powered off for 6 months for any effect to be in consideration which of course is not a usage scenario for somebody replacing 5 SSDs in 3 years.

Hello,

I'm wondering if it might be some kind of issue with sending commands to the drive during a hibernation or sleep operation which cause some kind of error within it. 

Make sure the computer has the latest BIOS/UEFI firmware, chipset drivers and SATA interface drivers installed.  Make sure the SSD has the latest firmware installed.  Disable hibernation and sleep functionality as well.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I second it's weird taking to account the provided information. I would add it completely depends on disk types, an amount of capacity and a workset. In order to minimize further disk failures, I suggest you check and monitor drive health using some sort of monitoring software.

On 2017-5-24 at 9:06 AM, goretsky said:

I'm wondering if it might be some kind of issue with sending commands to the drive during a hibernation or sleep operation which cause some kind of error within it. 

Didn't some type of bug exist a few years ago that specifically rendered drives non operational in the manner you described? Might have been during the Windows 10 beta stage.

I believe there was some kind of solution.

@Gotenks98

Your situation is mysterious. Please, I am hoping you can find the time to answer the various questions and requests for additional data that many people have contributed in this thread.

Perhaps we will discover something useful to everyone.

Had my Kingston V300 - 120GB for three and a half years now with no issues.  I'd expect more than four years out of an SSD unless I am missing something? :s

4 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Had my Kingston V300 - 120GB for three and a half years now with no issues.  I'd expect more than four years out of an SSD unless I am missing something? :s

Lots of people have offered interesting comments but the OP never made another post to provide additional info that might solve his mystery.