Printer Woes

I am running LMDE2. (Linux Mint Debian Edition) Give me Windows crap, and I'll shoot you. Fair warning.

Printer issues. I can connect to the printer, the computer sees it, but doesn't print.

xvZis2Q.png

Here you can see a network printer, my Canon on left.

mDgXuhQ.png

After clicking that, I go to this. I choose LPD, the most common.

B6Zolol.png

Then brings up this screen to finalize any settings, all is fine and dandy. After this screen, I have it print a test page. *waits 10 minutes* Nothing.

I did install drivers from the Canon website. So I'm sure they are the correct ones. My dad can print off his computer, Linux Mint 17.3. So at least I know it works fine... There something I'm doing wrong here?

I posted here, because it is more hardware than a Linux issue. If it must be moved, go ahead, Mods.

Edit: Printer: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828142955

Edited by Mindovermaster

45 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I am running LMDE2. (Linux Mint Debian Edition) Give me Windows crap, and I'll shoot you. Fair warning.

Hmmm, You appear to have a case of Linux crap happening....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Hmmm, You appear to have a case of Linux crap happening....

That means don't give me "go to the control center"

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

That means don't give me "go to the control center"

Couldn't resist.

But seriously, you should practice just ignoring and not replying to unhelpful posts. IMO by taking an aggressive negative approach you are creating a psychological barrier to people being motivated to reply. And even stupid answers can trigger other people to get a mental association to a helpful answer so casting a wide net in a low volume forum would maximize your chances of some sort of useful idea or two.

If you can get a ping response from the printer TCP/IP then this seems more like a LInux issue (or more specifically, a difference in the two versions issue) than a hardware issue.

• Like 2

have not had to setup a printer in CUPS in a long time as i'm mostly on Windows myself but you should be able to enable logging to find out what/where it is failing

http://hplipopensource.com/node/225

maybe check if there is an open-source or generic driver instead of the official Cannon Driver to see if more stable

Ping is fine.

--- 192.168.3.103 ping statistics ---
17 packets transmitted, 17 received, 0% packet loss, time 16017ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.993/1.319/3.768/0.675 ms

There's nothing on google about this. The reason i asked here, Unless 1 million members know nothing...

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Ping is fine.

--- 192.168.3.103 ping statistics ---
17 packets transmitted, 17 received, 0% packet loss, time 16017ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.993/1.319/3.768/0.675 ms

There's nothing on google about this. The reason i asked here, Unless 1 million members know nothing...

so you're definitely getting a connection to the printer then.

what basics have been done? have you tried reinstalling CUPS and the Driver already?

i would still recommend seeing if anything shows in the CUPS logs.

2 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

so you're definitely getting a connection to the printer then.

what basics have been done? have you tried reinstalling CUPS and the Driver already?

i would still recommend seeing if anything shows in the CUPS logs.

It just hangs on the tail command.

Are you using the same parameters as Dad? Did he also use LPD? If so it's likely some setting you have 

- Security?

- Firewall?

- Privilege level?

- missing package or sub-system you dad has installed?

- run Linux Mint 17.3 in a VM?

Yeah, my Dad has same settings as me.

While 17.3 is different from Debian, it's core is the same. I use same drivers as him. Both in DEV format.

IDK if Debian has a different security policy, but I can find nothing to disable/enable it.

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, my Dad has same settings as me.

While 17.3 is different from Debian, it's core is the same. I use same drivers as him. Both in DEV format.

IDK if Debian has a different security policy, but I can find nothing to disable/enable it.

could be an incompatibility with the Debian kernel.

if you have another hard-drive (to avoid having to format your current setup) try installing the non-debian edition to see if the issue persists. at the very least this would rule out a few things

The light on the printer is blinking. That means that it is getting data from my computer. However, it just sits there.

I did buy the printer back in January '16, if that means anything. So the kernel wouldn't matter.

7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

The light on the printer is blinking. That means that it is getting data from my computer. However, it just sits there.

to me that does say the driver probably has a compatibility issue on Debian. the printer is receiving the data but not in a format it can understand properly.

Installing the standard version of Mint should confirm and or rule this out i would hope. so weird though that it just hangs and doesn't shoot an error

7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I did buy the printer back in January '16, if that means anything. So the kernel wouldn't matter.

What kernel are you running on your system currently? I'm running Manjaro, an Arch based distro, on a laptop at home and I've noticed several jumps in the kernel versions in the past several months (we've gone from 4.7.x to 4.10.x in a relatively short time)

i agree it's unlikely a kernel issue but always a thought with the speed of updates lately

I did try reinstalling the drivers, same problem. I tried reloading it on my Dad's system, and he's still fine.

Edit: It is currently wireless, would it being hard-wired make a difference?

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

I did try reinstalling the drivers, same problem. I tried reloading it on my Dad's system, and he's still fine. So,

try not using the Cannon drivers, the open-source driver may be more stable for a printer

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

try not using the Cannon drivers, the open-source driver may be more stable for a printer

There are no open source drivers. Otherwise, the Printer can not be found.

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

There are no open source drivers. Otherwise, the Printer can not be found.

that is unfortunate :/

17 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I did try reinstalling the drivers, same problem. I tried reloading it on my Dad's system, and he's still fine.

Always debug these things wired first. Wireless adds so many more failure modes.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

yes, being wireless is likely the only reason you require the driver.

over ethernet you should be able to detect the printer even without the driver so i would go hard-wire and do a print test with and without the driver (i feel like i'm repeating myself but i do believe the driver just isn't playing nice with debian)

@Mindovermaster

Something I noticed, in the first screenshot your printer is listed at "192.168.3.100" (unless that was a previous setup) , but your ping replies are from "192.168.3.103". Maybe something to check?

Also can you try printer on wired Ethernet, and hardcode the MF220 LAN port to use 192.168.3.200 and try adding again?

I'll try it on wired a bit later. I can give it a static IP. See if that helps any.

I looked at my router. It's an Amped RTA15.

I looked into it, and it only supports storage, not printers. Is this any concern? I'm not sure if wired is an issue here.

Now that it is wired, I can't get it working still..

22 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I looked into it, and it only supports storage, not printers. Is this any concern? I'm not sure if wired is an issue here.

Can you clarify this as it doesn't make a ton of sense. Is your printer hooked up via:

USB plugged into the router, making it a network printer?

or

Ethernet from printer to router thus making it a network printer?

or

or did you use the built-in configuration for the printer and have it join the wireless network?

How exactly do you have this hooked up?

My suggestion, as others have already said, would be to take one of your old re-purposed hard-drives and do a quick install of a different distro or the same version your dad uses and test functionality.