• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Chrome is still spying on you.

th3rEsa    87

Learning through pain, right?

According to TheHackerNews.com: A UX design flaw in the Google's Chrome browser could allow malicious websites to record audio or video without alerting the user or giving any visual indication that the user is being spied on.

Open a headless window and activate the MediaRecorder from that window. In Chrome there will be no visual record indication.

Better stop using Chrome before it gets worse.

• Like 1

FloatingFatMan    18,202

OR, don't use a headless window?

Note: Headless =  no UX, right? so where's it meant to show the record icon if there's no UX?

EDIT: Oh, and I tried his little "example".  The camera icon is still clearly visible in the headless window.

Edited by FloatingFatMan
  • Like 1

T3X4S    4,532

Between the fear-bating bordering flaming & the OP's sig - I think I will use my own judgement as opposed to listening to .... others.
ancient-aliens-control-panel-has-lots-of-weird-html-characters-clearly-aliens.thumb.jpg.633d152be47596ec834b08ac058c7a77.jpg

• Like 3

Nick H.    9,702
12 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

OR, don't use a headless window?

Note: Headless =  no UX, right? so where's it meant to show the record icon if there's no UX?

It's a way to run the Chrome browser in a headless environment. Essentially, running Chrome without chrome! It brings all modern web platform features provided by Chromium and the Blink rendering engine to the command line.

Why is that useful?

A headless browser is a great tool for automated testing and server environments where you don't need a visible UI shell. For example, you may want to run some tests against a real web page, create a PDF of it, or just inspect how the browser renders an URL.

Source

So what I'm taking away from this is that essentially there is no design flaw. It's working exactly as intended.

Since I had to go and look up what it meant by being headless, I'm pretty sure I'll be alright. :laugh:

• Like 2

Nick H.    9,702

<Thread cleaned again>

If you don't want to discuss the thread topic, please take your comments elsewhere.

• Like 2