CNN 'terminates' Kathy Griffin's hosting duties on New Year's Eve program

CNN announced Wednesday the network will be ending Kathy Griffin's hosting duties for its New Year's Eve program after the comedian's disturbing photo shoot with a bloodied Trump mask. 

"CNN has terminated our agreement with Kathy Griffin to appear on our New Year's Eve program," the network announced Wednesday on Twitter. 

Griffin has co-hosted CNN's "New Year's Eve Live" with Anderson Cooper for the last 10 years. Cooper criticized Griffin's actions as "disgusting."

"For the record, I am appalled by the photo shoot Kathy Griffin took part in. It is clearly disgusting and completely," Cooper wrote Tuesday on Twitter. Fellow anchor Jake Tapper also condemned the photo. 

Donald Trump Jr. called for the network to drop Griffin as a commentator shortly after the image went viral. "Dear CNN, I must have missed your statement banning your commentator #KathyGriffin from future shows. Please resend. Thx," Trump Jr. tweeted. 

Both the president and first lady also called the photos "disturbing," Trump adding that the photo tooke a toll on his youngest son, Barron.

More....

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/05/31/cnn-terminates-kathy-griffins-hosting-duties-on-new-years-eve-program.html

What she did was highly idiotic but it is what it is and she has to deal with the consequences.

Also who showed the image to Barron?  That ignorance on their part or Trump is just using his son as a puppet..

2 minutes ago, primortal said:

What she did was highly idiotic but it is what it is and she has to deal with the consequences.

Also who showed the image to Barron?  That ignorance on their part or Trump is just using his son as a puppet..

Of course Trump would include his son, anything to get attention. 

What Griffins did was over the top and uncalled for and was lowering herself to Trump's level of nasty BS.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, primortal said:

He's 10 and wealthy. You don't think he has a smartphone and twitter?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, episode said:

He's 10 and wealthy. You don't think he has a smartphone and twitter?

What is the government policy for presidential children and smart devices?  Personally a child that young shouldn't have one.

15 minutes ago, primortal said:

2 minutes ago, primortal said:

What is the government policy for presidential children and smart devices?  Personally a child that young shouldn't have one.

Does not have to be a smart device.  He could have been using a computer and came across the image.  Kids do this all the time.

Just now, techbeck said:

Does not have to be a smart device.  He could have been using a computer and came across the image.  Kids do this all the time.

A computer is not a smart device :p

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I know, was referring to your original comment on who showed him the pic  :p

I cringe at the though of what Trump is looking at on his phone if his kid comes in and looks over his shoulder.  I highly doubt Barron is anywhere near Trump if Melania is around.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kellyanne Conway showed Barron.

17 minutes ago, primortal said:

I cringe at the though of what Trump is looking at on his phone if his kid comes in and looks over his shoulder.  I highly doubt Barron is anywhere near Trump if Melania is around.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kellyanne Conway showed Barron.

Maybe Barron has his own computer.  You can put parental controls on devices as well but they are not perfect.

They were a weird duo.... but I liked Anderson and Kathy on NYE.

One proper.... one wackadoodle.

I wonder who they will get to replace her?

1 hour ago, primortal said:

if you looked at pretty much any article, it said he saw it on TV and asked his mom about it.

but i guess you jumped to a good, if wrong, conclusion....

There isn't one. They aren't an elected official, so they can do whatever they want. Same with Melania.

And your personal opinion is not important. Kids start using smart devices far younger than 10. 

My opinion ^

I hate to do a DocM over this one but its a bit rich coming from the network who's members cheered on the real physical assault of an innocent journalist . 

ROB O'NEILL: I am from Montana, Butte, Montana. Right where this happened, I'm familiar with the race. It wasn't making any headlines at all because President Trump won Montana by, I think plus 20 points. The guy he is running against is all about the environment and all of this stuff all of a sudden. What happened there in Montana, apparently the snowflake reporter invaded Gianforte's safe space. We have a saying up there, "you mess around, you mess around, you might not be around." I have a history of with these guys. When the Bin Laden story came out. These guys kind of bum-rushed my father, they got him to say some stuff, he didn't know what "on the record, off the record" --

ERIC BOLLING (HOST): The Guardian.

O'NEILL: I believe it was The Guardian, if I'm wrong  -- same tactics, same ambush tactics --  granted I'm not condoning the body slam. I think it's kind of funny based on my history.  

[...]

RACHEL CAMPOS-DUFFY: This guy was not a reporter looking for a fair story. He was obviously doing a take down on him. And this guy got his back up -- he got a little bit of Montana Justice.

Edited by TPreston
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Buttus said:

if you looked at pretty much any article, it said he saw it on TV and asked his mom about it.

but i guess you jumped to a good, if wrong, conclusion....

I've read that article and the one they linked and found no such statement.

I found this from the main article

Both the president and first lady also called the photos "disturbing," Trump adding that the photo took a toll on his youngest son, Barron.

and this from this article, http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/05/31/trump-kathy-griffin-should-be-ashamed-herself-for-bloodied-mask-photo.html

"Kathy Griffin should be ashamed of herself. My children, especially my 11 year old son, Barron, are having a hard time with this. Sick!" the president tweeted at 7:14 a.m., just hours after the photo and video caused an uproar on the internet. 

I search for 'TV', 'Television" and "mom" in both articles and no hits.  Please tell were you seen "he saw it on TV and asked his mom about it"

12 minutes ago, episode said:

There isn't one. They aren't an elected official, so they can do whatever they want. Same with Melania.

And your personal opinion is not important. Kids start using smart devices far younger than 10. 

Well I guess your opinion isn't important either ;)

• Like 1

Ah yes, that liberal twist...  Trump is once again somehow the bad guy in this...

I can't even imagine the magnitude of the whiny out-roar this would have caused if somebody did this against Obama...

7 minutes ago, primortal said:

I've read that article and the one they linked and found no such statement.

I found this from the main article

and this from this article, http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/05/31/trump-kathy-griffin-should-be-ashamed-herself-for-bloodied-mask-photo.html

I search for 'TV', 'Television" and "mom" in both articles and no hits.  Please tell were you seen "he saw it on TV and asked his mom about it"

it's not that hard....  search for "kathy griffin trump image on tv"

first link - http://www.tmz.com/2017/05/31/barron-trump-thought-donald-beheaded-image-real/

"Barron Trump was watching television Tuesday at home with Melania when Kathy Griffin's photo appeared on the screen, and his initial reaction was that something terrible happened to his father."

3 minutes ago, Buttus said:

it's not that hard....  search for "kathy griffin trump image on tv"

first link - http://www.tmz.com/2017/05/31/barron-trump-thought-donald-beheaded-image-real/

"Barron Trump was watching television Tuesday at home with Melania when Kathy Griffin's photo appeared on the screen, and his initial reaction was that something terrible happened to his father."

Thanks.  It wasn't stated in the Fox News articles.

And yes I did jump to a conclusion based on the information form article in this post.  It happens to the best of us.

2 hours ago, warwagon said:

Awsome!! ... It's a start...

<snipped image>

2 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Ah yes, that liberal twist...  Trump is once again somehow the bad guy in this...

I can't even imagine the magnitude of the whiny out-roar this would have caused if somebody did this against Obama...

But, but it's okay when the conservatives do it and support it.  As I made clear earlier I don't support what she did, but conservatives are hardly innocent.

An interesting opinion piece -  "It’s Okay if You’re a Republican"

Source

And another - "Is Kathy Griffin's apology enough?"

Source

• Like 1

3 hours ago, primortal said:

Well I guess your opinion isn't important either ;)

Thats fine, because I didn't tell you what my opinion was. No editorializing at all. 

5 hours ago, primortal said:

A computer is not a smart device :p

Besides, the image itself appeared on Facebook for the planet as a whole to see,  (I saw the image myself, in reference to a post on the social-media service.)

That is called "shooting yourself in the foot" in public.

I am sure that the Islamic State would love to pose with a bloodied head of President Trump.

The picture was in poor taste and shouldn't have been made/posted but I'm not sure I remember the right getting upset over pictures of Obama being lynched or burned or the calling for assignation by conservatives/GOP.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hagjohn said:

The picture was in poor taste and shouldn't have been made/posted but I'm not sure I remember the right getting upset over pictures of Obama being lynched or burned or the calling for assignation by conservatives/GOP.

hagjohn, the picture would have been of poor taste had it been of DHS Secretary John Kelly's head (or Kellyanne Conway's head, for that matter - or even Hillary Clinton's head).

• Like 2