[Feature Request] Facebook-like Reactions System (but more relevant)

Hiya folks ... I was thinking about this yesterday and it occurred to me that the current "like-only" button to react to posts is actually quite limited and contextually misleading. Would it be possible to add more reaction options to posts, such as 'Dislike', 'Wow', 'Angry', 'Agree', 'Disagree', and so forth? I'm not asking for the whole range of possible reactions, just maybe a few more that could be more ... I dunno, appropriate?

And please understand I'm not trying to make it where Members are losing rep or anything like that ... just context-appropriate reactions. Thanks in advance. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Steven P. said:

This is actually coming to IPB 4.2 which will be released this summer, so we will not be hacking this version to add those features, since it's already planned :)

neat. was just going to come in here and say that would be more of a request for IPB lol good to see it's already planned :)

I just hope they have 2 reactions that Facebook does not have. The thumbs down and puke reaction.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Steven P. said:

This is actually coming to IPB 4.2 which will be released this summer, so we will not be hacking this version to add those features, since it's already planned :)

Eww! I much prefer to just use reaction gifs when somebody has a debatable post.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

So the feature is now live. In addition to the simple click for Like, we have Thanks, Haha, Confused, and Sad if you just hover, but the words are jammed together and no icons as I assume are intended. So that is still being worked on. I assume as well that those are just the defaults. Neowin might have a place for sad, but I'd sure like to see agree (thumbs up icon) and disagree (thumbs down icon). I think that would have a place. I do like the difference between a Like ("I like this") and Thanks ("This helped me, or it helps the community, so thank you").

2 hours ago, dragontology said:

So the feature is now live. In addition to the simple click for Like, we have Thanks, Haha, Confused, and Sad if you just hover, but the words are jammed together and no icons as I assume are intended. So that is still being worked on. I assume as well that those are just the defaults. Neowin might have a place for sad, but I'd sure like to see agree (thumbs up icon) and disagree (thumbs down icon). I think that would have a place. I do like the difference between a Like ("I like this") and Thanks ("This helped me, or it helps the community, so thank you").

That sounds like a cache issue, I've just refreshed mine and it's loaded ok on the latest Chrome dev. 

Call me a convert, I was against this but they're not intrusive or annoying so I'm all for it! 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Tuskd said:

Request for a "I disagree" button. Like can be used to agree to something, but there should be something to tell otherwise too.

On paper, it does seem like a good idea, in reality, I personally wouldn't like for such an implementation, it is one of the most abused and trolled buttons. Yahoo Answers is a cesspit of mark downs and trolls abusing that button.

5 minutes ago, Tuskd said:

Request for a "I disagree" button. Like can be used to agree to something, but there should be something to tell otherwise too.

I disagree with your suggestion. I don't think we even need reactions in the first place. We can use images & words to express our feelings towards a post.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dragontology said:

Yea, i could see just "agree", "disagree", and "Thanks".    and the "Haha" one is ok.    too many options will many it annoying to use in the current state, the bar would go across the screen with too many options.

10 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

On paper, it does seem like a good idea, in reality, I personally wouldn't like for such an implementation, it is one of the most abused and trolled buttons. Yahoo Answers is a cesspit of mark downs and trolls abusing that button.

Well, I believe Neowin is a much more mature community than Yahoo Answers.

Maybe a stricter control on the number of dislikes a person can give, or a mandatory comment on why they disagree with a post.

• Like 2

i like the change tbh :)  although we need a facepalm icon or hitting a head against a wall emoji :p 

i suggest

giphy.thumb.gif.5009af1a3be838ac1864e14f9a37b4cd.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tuskd said:

Well, I believe Neowin is a much more mature community than Yahoo Answers.

Maybe a stricter control on the number of dislikes a person can give, or a mandatory comment on why they disagree with a post.

I kinda see your point, but prefer the conversation that a dislike would trigger. 

14 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

I disagree with your suggestion. I don't think we even need reactions in the first place. We can use images & words to express our feelings towards a post.

Reactions can be very useful, especially on mobile. It cuts the number of posts so only necessary information may be posted. Ideally, that's what I believe.

I haven't looked into the 4.2.x options yet, I will when I have some time and see if the reactions can be customized a bit.

I would support a 'disagree' one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tuskd said:

Reactions can be very useful, especially on mobile. It cuts the number of posts so only necessary information may be posted. Ideally, that's what I believe.

That's a fair point. However, the person you reacted disagree to might want your reasoning for it. 

8 minutes ago, Mando said:

i like the change tbh :)  although we need a facepalm icon or hitting a head against a wall emoji :p 

i suggest

giphy.thumb.gif.5009af1a3be838ac1864e14f9a37b4cd.gif

:argh: ?

9 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I haven't looked into the 4.2.x options yet, I will when I have some time and see if the reactions can be customized a bit.

You mean like this ;) ?

Untitled.png

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Nice but the emoji are a little childish, could they not be a but more standard?

Isn't that Kane? (Brotherhood of NOD?)