[Feature Request] Facebook-like Reactions System (but more relevant)

1 minute ago, LimeMaster said:

If you said so. :unsure:

I'm just worried people will use it to avoid discussing their opinions.

No one wins with that scenario. We'll just have to encourage discussion, always.

Just now, Unobscured Vision said:

No one wins with that scenario. We'll just have to encourage discussion, always.

I guess. I'm hoping because forums are a different environment from Facebook that it won't have as big an impact.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LimeMaster said:

I disagree with your suggestion. I don't think we even need reactions in the first place. We can use images & words to express our feelings towards a post.

Agreed, I dislike the reactions already.

1 minute ago, Skiver said:

Agreed, I dislike the reactions already.

I'm glad somebody's on the same boat as me. It only works on Facebook because of the more casual nature of social media.

Much like with Facebook, I'll just stick to liking things that I...err, like. But for those that want to use more descriptive reactions this is a step in the right direction. (Y)

25 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

That's the only thing i'm worried about. It's all good to put a "confused" reaction or whatever, but if you don't explain why, it doesn't work.

Just now, LimeMaster said:

I'm glad somebody's on the same boat as me. It only works on Facebook because of the more casual nature of social media.

I don't mind the like system that's always existed, I tend to use it to show support for an opinion when I've got nothing more to add or maybe to again appreciate some information that's been posted.

I don't think the reactions will add anything to the forum other than to dumb it down to a facebook level, but at the same time, I don't think it will really change much so I don't expect to be too bothered by it.

6 minutes ago, Skiver said:

I don't mind the like system that's always existed, I tend to use it to show support for an opinion when I've got nothing more to add or maybe to again appreciate some information that's been posted.

I don't think the reactions will add anything to the forum other than to dumb it down to a facebook level, but at the same time, I don't think it will really change much so I don't expect to be too bothered by it.

You could say Neowin has slowly become a mini version of Facebook over the years with features such as, likes, reactions, status updates, and a friend system (now followers).

I really hope you are correct in saying that it won't have much of an effect on the forums.

• Like 2

You could say Neowin has slowly became a mini version Facebook over the years with features such as, likes, reactions, status updates, and a friend system (now followers).

I really hope you are correct in saying that it won't have much of an effect on the forums.

I think a lot of forums are going the same way in competition with Social media. 

2 minutes ago, Skiver said:

I think a lot of forums are going the same way in competition with Social media. 

That's kinda sad. Forums & social media are two completely different things, so why bother try to compete?

• Like 2

That's kinda sad. Forums & social media are two completely different things, so why bother try to compete?

Don't quote me on this, just an opinion and not based on fact but I don't think forums are as popular as they once were. More people are choosing to communicate via social media so forums are trying to bring some of that functionality here in the hope to get their users back. I don't mean that in the sense of Neowin is doing that, I more refer to the software developers behind IPB or vBulletin etc.

hmm reactions still have a white background for me in darkside

On topic, ive seen some forums customize reactions to make them less generic. 

11 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Don't quote me on this, just an opinion and not based on fact but I don't think forums are as popular as they once were. More people are choosing to communicate via social media so forums are trying to bring some of that functionality here in the hope to get their users back. I don't mean that in the sense of Neowin is doing that, I more refer to the software developers behind IPB or vBulletin etc.

Sounds believable. I'm not sure the method works though. People who are still interested in forums are not sticking around for social media type features. And in the case of Neowin, I've never heard anyone say they joined because of the social media aspects of the forum. So I'd say Invision's way of bringing users back isn't working.

Not bad, I still think we need a thumb down and a puke. The Sad face looks like they are crapping their pants. I think it needs to look sadder.

Most will say "well instead of thumb downing a post, just don't like it at all" .. but it would also be nice to see how disliked a post is.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Testing dislike :p I wonder if there's an official pack of icons for 4.2?

A little mock up.

Untitled-1.jpg

as far as your new dislike icon... uh.... well.... I guess if at the moment that is your ONLY choice to at least give us a dislike button then ok... but I sure hope you can find a better icon in the future.

24 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

hmm reactions still have a white background for me in darkside

Think it was an issue feature with last update/upgrade. The buttons for page navigation on forums looks the same. 

One more thing, the default like button now is a heart. Love and Like are two completely different emotions. 

I think instead of a heart, it should be something like this ..

like.jpg

26 minutes ago, warwagon said:

One more thing, the default like button now is a heart. Love and Like are two completely different emotions. 

I think instead of a heart, it should be something like this ..

like.jpg

as of now, it's a thumb! I see you developers, working behind our backs!

Edited by Draconian Guppy
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

So we have dislike, but no like ?

like is the default option, it's the heart

btw @Steven P. dislike doesn't have an image lol

• Like 1