[Feature Request] Facebook-like Reactions System (but more relevant)

Just now, Brandon H said:

like is the default option, it's the heart

btw @Steven P. dislike doesn't have an image lol

ahhh dumb me, thanks!

On the Orion theme it's invisible to me until I mouseover the area I think it should be at, then it shows up.

Just an fyi and likely some growing pains/in somekindaflux/testing the upcoming eclipse. /shrug. Thought I'd mention it.

4 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

On the Orion theme it's invisible to me until I mouseover the area I think it should be at, then it shows up.

Just an fyi and likely some growing pains/in somekindaflux/testing the upcoming eclipse. /shrug. Thought I'd mention it.

Yeah I have told this to @Redmak I will try to get him to sort it in the morning :) We run a multi-server setup, so it's never as easy as just uploading through the ACP :/

Username link appears to be broke too, or did they change it? @Unobscured Vision??

Oh it was broke until I edited the post :s

• Like 2

Yep, I noticed it also. We'll attribute this to growing pains with the new Forum software, and you folks will get this sorted out in no time. :yes:(Y) 

16 hours ago, John. said:

That sounds like a cache issue, I've just refreshed mine and it's loaded ok on the latest Chrome dev. 

I'm on the latest stable of Chrome Portable (which is maintained by PortableApps and might be a minor version out, but doubtful) and after a full refresh (CTRL+F5) all the icons show up but Dislike. It might be a theme issue as I'm using the dark theme (official Neowin, not CSS).

Thinking about this some more, I remember ten years ago when you could rate topics. So garbage topics (spam etc.) got rated 1 star, and you knew what you were getting into. Likes or thanks on a post might be helpful to the user who made the post, or they may not care. Just today I saw someone reacted to my post. I didn't click on it. I don't care enough to load a page and see what icon someone put. I read all replies put to me, but reactions, just like Reddit up/down votes, they don't affect me. If someone liked what I put, it doesn't help me at all. If they didn't like what I put and they clicked a reaction, that doesn't help me at all. But if they told me what I did wrong, maybe I can learn from that and that helps me. The reaction only shows others who are reading the topic later what the community thought, those who could be bothered to click an icon. Though, I do think it is a fun and mostly harmless feature, and great posts will usually attract some of the good reactions.

In any case, the feature mostly looks good. I'd prefer not to see the "User A, User B, and C other users reacted to this," and rather than having to click either reaction to get a big ugly box with all the reaction info, hovering over each reaction should bring up a list of names. Just an opinion, and being a new feature, maybe customizing the in-post look of reactions will come with time and future versions.

Dave synced the icons across our web servers, so they should show for everyone, uploading via ACP is also fixed so I will be doing some further tweaking of the icons today as well.

Negative voting is still disabled because it was abused when we first used it, a dislike is a neutral vote, (so does not +1 to your rep)

This way members can still show dislike for the post without replying and possibly getting into an argument, get noticed by mods (what am I saying, it'll never go this smoothly lol).

I think I want

Thanks +1

Haha +1

Love +1

Dislike -

Like +1

Btw upvotes can't be edited, I would have liked to have Thanks do +2, maybe that is something we can tweak ourselves though.

7 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Dave synced the icons across our web servers, so they should show for everyone, uploading via ACP is also fixed so I will be doing some further tweaking of the icons today as well.

Negative voting is still disabled because it was abused when we first used it, a dislike is a neutral vote, (so does not +1 to your rep)

This way members can still show dislike for the post without replying and possibly getting into an argument, get noticed by mods (what am I saying, it'll never go this smoothly lol).

I think I want

Thanks +1

Haha +1

Love +1

Dislike -

Like +1

Btw upvotes can't be edited, I would have liked to have Thanks do +2, maybe that is something we can tweak ourselves though.

I'm happy with that! Good way of doing it

Alright, refresh.. lemme know what you think :)

Notes.. A blue (more familiar) thumbs up for like, works better as default since it is also on a light background when hovered on.. but changing the dislike to a darker color doesn't work too well on the reactions bar.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Alright, refresh.. lemme know what you think :)

Notes.. A blue (more familiar) thumbs up for like, works better as default since it is also on a light background when hovered on.. but changing the dislike to a darker color doesn't work too well on the reactions bar.

This current set of reactions is very good. I would have preferred the default yellow over this, but this one is fine too.

4 minutes ago, Tuskd said:

This current set of reactions is very good. I would have preferred the default yellow over this, but this one is fine too.

Reset to yellow, looks more uniform now doesn't it :p

1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

Reset to yellow, looks more uniform now doesn't it :p

Thanks, also this happens when you give a reaction other than Like. So yellow makes sense I guess.

reactions.PNG

Have the likes on the front page news articles stopped working? Clicking it doesn't seem to do anything.

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

Have the likes on the front page news articles stopped working? Clicking it doesn't seem to do anything.

I will bug it, thanks for reporting!

2 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Still borked. :(

Yeah :/ we're upgrading to 4.2.2 today in the hope it fixes that and some other things, but I fear it is a separate issue that needs to be looked into.

• Thanks 1

My continued thanks to yourself and the Team for the hard work and the effort you folks are putting in, though. This really is my favorite place on the 'Net. This and YouTube, of course. Facebook is alright I suppose but Neowin is home.

2 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

My continued thanks to yourself and the Team for the hard work and the effort you folks are putting in, though. This really is my favorite place on the 'Net. This and YouTube, of course. Facebook is alright I suppose but Neowin is home.

Aww! I wish there was some way to give Neowin Gold for a post, that'd have got one for sure. @Steven P. ? I know you've enough on your plate at the moment, just a thought if it's doable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Another test for name links @John

Nope, just got a general comment notification :(