E3 2017 Microsoft Press Conference Discussion

11 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Crackdown looks to be a One X launch title . No sign of the cloud ;) or that awesome looking destruction

I noticed there didn't seem to be any city destroying moments in that video, I wonder if they think we'll all just forget about the cloud demonstration videos!

I'm torn on whether to buy day one or not, I went out and got a 4K TV last month so that part is certainly out of the way. £450 is just a lot of money to be splashing out for another day one console when I have so many other things to spend my money on :(

My head is telling me, no, but I know I'll regret it if I don't.

2 minutes ago, Skiver said:

I noticed there didn't seem to be any city destroying moments in that video, I wonder if they think we'll all just forget about the cloud demonstration videos!

I'm torn on whether to buy day one or not, I went out and got a 4K TV last month so that part is certainly out of the way. £450 is just a lot of money to be splashing out for another day one console when I have so many other things to spend my money on :(

My head is telling me, no, but I know I'll regret it if I don't.

Yeah which is strange, I'm sure that Terry Crews during that intro mentioned something about leveling buildings, so hopefully we will see something.

Always the issue with day one is that there's a chance if it doesn't sell well in the first 12 months the price will be reduced. For me, I'll need to buy both the Xbox and a 4K/HDR TV.

I'm going to keep an eye on some of the exclusives or One X show piece titles and make a decision. I'll probably put one on pre-order and then cancel closer to the time. 

Forza doesn't really interest me, Anthem, Assassin's Creed or Crackdown are the ones that'll swing my decision. 

3 hours ago, George P said:

Either way, I don't buy new consoles day one, so it's nothing new to me, I'll get it at some point.  This years list of games is on the smaller side, more AA and indie exclusives or timed exclusives.   Not bad, going forward would be interesting, see if devs want to break away and not be held back by the old XB/PS4 hardware and move ahead with games made more for the PS4 Pro and XBX next year.

It's clear though, if you enjoy playing on both and want the best experience as far as 3rd party stuff, looks like Xbox One X is were you will go from now on, like it was back with the 360.

Apart from a few 3rd party titles (usually multiplayer games) would a better 3rd party game experience really be a system seller? May be a huge assumption on my part, but the two selling points for me are 1) Where are my friends playing and 2) Which has the better exclusives. 

I didn't think anyone would look at Assassin's Creed and say I'm going to pay an extra £100 to play AC in the best way possible but I could be wrong. 

7 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Yeah which is strange, I'm sure that Terry Crews during that intro mentioned something about leveling buildings, so hopefully we will see something.

Always the issue with day one is that there's a chance if it doesn't sell well in the first 12 months the price will be reduced. For me, I'll need to buy both the Xbox and a 4K/HDR TV.

I'm going to keep an eye on some of the exclusives or One X show piece titles and make a decision. I'll probably put one on pre-order and then cancel closer to the time. 

Forza doesn't really interest me, Anthem, Assassin's Creed or Crackdown are the ones that'll swing my decision. 

He certainly did mention something that seemed to suggest it was just there, perhaps it is still there and they simply just didn't show it off. I think we'll see some gameplay coming soon and that will be the first thing most streamers will check.

Yep, that's why I'm so hesitant to jump on this one so early. I can't remember how quickly but the cheaper XB1 was probably months after release so I don't want to be burned by that again. Forza is a game I buy every time even if I don't play them like I used to. Anthem looked interesting but as a massive Destiny fan I don't think it will live up to what I love and at best will get a few weeks of gameplay. 

The biggest issue I think MS will have is that they are doing what they said and making each game playable on XB1, S and X so other than 4K there is really no reason to go out and buy it. Now I bought my TV for this and pretty much only this so I know I fall into the band camp. Which is silly because I've never been one to care about the highest level of detail before. I guess I'm just the perfect customer, I see something new and shiny and say I want it without any real justification.

2 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Apart from a few 3rd party titles (usually multiplayer games) would a better 3rd party game experience really be a system seller? May be a huge assumption on my part, but the two selling points for me are 1) Where are my friends playing and 2) Which has the better exclusives. 

I didn't think anyone would look at Assassin's Creed and say I'm going to pay an extra £100 to play AC in the best way possible but I could be wrong. 

It depends on the person but it's a selling point, it helped sell 360' and it's something the PS4 fans tout, or have been touting, since the start.  It's why we keep getting all the graphics comparison videos and so on.  It's for those who own both and decide where to play that one new game that just came out.

Where your friends game is also part of it to, but it's easy to jump to whatever system has the best looking stuff, that's an easy sell IMO.   You're also buying this for whatever comes down the line in 2018 and 2019 etc.   I don't think MS is going to break compatibility after this, whatever the next Xbox is called, and the hardware it has, it'll play all the games the X can, but probably keep it's own "exclusives" going forward.   At some point you can't support newer games on the original Xbox One anymore, so it'll be dropped.

Heck, I think the plan is going to be for them to try and support 2 systems at any given time with future games, so, say in 2020 we get yet another new Xbox, with, I dunno, say 18tflops of power (just to toss out a number), they could have it to where new games run on it but also run on the X at a lower quality, but finally drop support for the original Xbox One.

If you think about it, it's like the PC minimum and recommended spec setup we get, where the minimum is the older model Xbox and the recommended is the newest one, but always keeping 2 around for new games to run.    Plus the added bonus of the newest system just playing all the games back to whatever original Xbox games they add later this year, like Crimson Skies.

When gamers see that they don't lose their big library, I think it'll make it a very interesting sale and something to draw console gamers into going forward.   As far as Sony goes, they've pretty much moved themselves out of the backwards compatibility option by going with PS Now, and trying to sell you a streaming game service to play your old games on.  But why buy it over just to play it on the new PS if you already own the game?  Much better to just pop the original disc in, if you have it, or redownload the digital copy you bought 2-3 years ago, and play.  I'd rather not pay for the same game a 2nd time.

12 minutes ago, Skiver said:

snip

Yeah, I know it'll definitely be bought up on this forum :p

Price dropped 7/8 months later when the dropped the Kinect. I can wait that long if it means waiting for a significant price drop. Worst case, the price will be the same with more games. 

I'm the same, but feel like as time goes on my priorities change so it's not as important for me to have it day one. I say that now but come November 7th, I'll be taking some time off ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Yeah, I know it'll definitely be bought up on this forum :p

Price dropped 7/8 months later when the dropped the Kinect. I can wait that long if it means waiting for a significant price drop. Worst case, the price will be the same with more games. 

I'm the same, but feel like as time goes on my priorities change so it's not as important for me to have it day one. I say that now but come November 7th, I'll be taking some time off ;)

When Scorpio was first announced, I was dead set against it, I would NEVER get that console... besides I don't have a 4K TV. Funny how when things get closer you suddenly start to change your mind.

I'll keep telling myself I don't want/need this, that games look great anyway and see how long I hold out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, George P said:

snip

Hm yeah, I kinda see your point. 

Definitely agree with that, I would think that Xbox may follow like the Intel Tick Tock model, where they have two generations of the same model (initial launch - Xbox One and then a refined model - One X) where like you said games will work across generations. 

23 minutes ago, Skiver said:

When Scorpio was first announced, I was dead set against it, I would NEVER get that console... besides I don't have a 4K TV. Funny how when things get closer you suddenly start to change your mind.

I'll keep telling myself I don't want/need this, that games look great anyway and see how long I hold out.

It seems easier to hold out longer now with the Xbox because of the whole compatibility support we're talking about.  You can buy the games, try them on the original, then when you're ready move up to 4k and so on.    Even if you don't have a 4k TV though, they've said it a number of times, you're going to get other advantages with the X compared to the S.  Like supersampling, so that 1080p images looks great,  improved/smoother performance, faster load times and so on.  So I think there's other advantages as well.

• Like 1

Just now, George P said:

It seems easier to hold out longer now with the Xbox because of the whole compatibility support we're talking about.  You can buy the games, try them on the original, then when you're ready move up to 4k and so on.    Even if you don't have a 4k TV though, they've said it a number of times, you're going to get other advantages with the X compared to the S.  Like supersampling, so that 1080p images looks great,  improved/smoother performance, faster load times and so on.  So I think there's other advantages as well.

You aren't helping George, I need reasons not to want it!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, George P said:

It depends on the person but it's a selling point, it helped sell 360' and it's something the PS4 fans tout, or have been touting, since the start.  It's why we keep getting all the graphics comparison videos and so on.  

No doubt the continual Microsoft haters in this thread that continually pushed these video comparisons at the start of this gen will be quick to drop this angle and take up it's only the games that matter angle instead now :laugh:

To be honest the only reason I own a PS4 at this point in its life is because of better multiplats, the majority of exclusives I play and enjoy are Microsoft games. My friends own Playstations as just FIFA/CoD machines, a large majority of console gamers only use these as multiplat systems. Who ever has the best looking FIFA or can play CoD at true 4K is a massive selling point. I don't think we'll ever see Microsoft launch a weaker system than the competition from here on out. But I've been saying that since the bungled kinect launch of this generation and how much of a sales point being known as the "stronger" console has given Sony.

I don't think it will make a big difference this late into the show of this generation, but it's building the platform for next from here on out. But I guess we'll wait and see.

Look forward to giving everyone here an inside look on launch day midnight Australia when I pick mine up anyway :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

No doubt the continual Microsoft haters in this thread that continually pushed these video comparisons at the start of this gen will be quick to drop this angle and take up it's only the games that matter angle instead now :laugh:

To be honest the only reason I own a PS4 at this point in its life is because of better multiplats, the majority of exclusives I play and enjoy are Microsoft games. My friends own Playstations as just FIFA/CoD machines, a large majority of console gamers only use these as multiplat systems. Who ever has the best looking FIFA or can play CoD at true 4K is a massive selling point. I don't think we'll ever see Microsoft launch a weaker system than the competition from here on out. But I've been saying that since the bungled kinect launch of this generation and how much of a sales point being known as the "stronger" console has given Sony.

I don't think it will make a big difference this late into the show of this generation, but it's building the platform for next from here on out. But I guess we'll wait and see.

Look forward to giving everyone here an inside look on launch day midnight Australia when I pick mine up anyway :)

Is it the turn of the MS fans to show them what's what? Were the videos raised to put into context how big a graphical difference there were between the two versions despite the Xbox being the more expensive console?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference between the 360 and PS3 was a lot less (from what I remember)

On the bit that you've highlighted, do you think we'll see generations of console like we had with the 360 and PS3? Or we'll start seeing more of a gap between the launch cycles. So it's more like 2017 - One X, 2019 - PS5, 2021 Xbox Two......or something to that affect.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Is it the turn of the MS fans to show them what's what? Were the videos raised to put into context how big a graphical difference there were between the two versions despite the Xbox being the more expensive console?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference between the 360 and PS3 was a lot less (from what I remember)

On the bit that you've highlighted, do you think we'll see generations of console like we had with the 360 and PS3? Or we'll start seeing more of a gap between the launch cycles. So it's more like 2017 - One X, 2019 - PS5, 2021 Xbox Two......or something to that affect.

Hopefully not, I never participated in showing the 360's graphical edge back then and not about to start posting comparison videos now either. The difference in 360 - PS3 was I remember FPS being a much larger thing then resolution comparison. The cell really struggled to be smooth on quite a few titles (Oh and grass on GTA5 and RDR :laugh:) But it is a major selling point.

I think we're done with generations of old (for Microsoft anyway), I think we'll start seeing consoles in much closer windows. Sony will launch PS5 in 2019 maybe even 2020? and we'll get the xbox the following year. And after that a cycle every 3 years maybe. I'll be surprised if the scorpio doesn't continue to play games that are developed for the next generation xbox with them just dropping xbox one support.

When you can buy the newest system and enjoy the latest and greatest but continue to play CoD with your friends on the older generation plus the other 3 generations of games before that it becomes a very attractive thing does it not? I think so anyway. But my tastes will be different from other people as well.

4 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Ha I just had the same response on Twitter :p

Ouch £70!

Yup pricey, but on the other hand, odds are it'll be the only one of it's kind when you get it, and they've added a few more options from what they had before to.

A complete list of Xbox One X Enhanced games has been posted.  (4k, HDR).

Ashen

Anthem

Assassin's Creed: Origins

Astroneer

Black Desert

Chess Ultra

Code Vein

Crackdown 3

Dead Rising 4

Deep Rock Galactic

Dishonored 2

Doom

Dragon Ball Fighter Z

Everspace

Fallout 4

Farming Simulator 17

Final Fantasy XV

For Honor

Forza Horizon 3

Forza Motorsport 7

Gears of War 4

Ghost Recon: Wildlands

Halo Wars 2

Hitman

Homefront: The Revolution

Injustice 2

Killer Instinct

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Madden NFL 18

Mantis Burn Racing

Metro: Exodus

Middle-earth: Shadow of War

Minecraft

Need For Speed: Payback

Outlast 2

Paladins

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Portal Knights

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

RiME

Rocket League

Sea of Thieves

Slime Rancher

State of Decay 2

Super Lucky's Tale

Superhot

Tacoma

The Artful Escape of Francis Vendetti

The Darwin Project

The Elder Scrolls Online

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition

The Last Night

The Surge

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt

Titanfall 2

Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide

We Happy Few

• Like 3

23 hours ago, wakjak said:

There really wasn't any "WOW I HAVE TO BUY THIS NOW"... If you've got an Xbox One S, you're not really needing to run out to get a One X.

so now its ok? and all those mocking posts about its hardware in the resolution thread don't exist?

55 minutes ago, vcfan said:

so now its ok? and all those mocking posts about its hardware in the resolution thread don't exist?

What's ok? I literally said it's not really worth it if you have an Xbox one S. 

At the end of the day it comes down to, do you have a 4k TV?  And do you want the best experience for a game between the two systems out?   If so then you'll buy the X at some point, my plan is around March or Feb probably because I have a brand new 4k HDR LG TV waiting to be used.

Also, the advantages to games running at 1080p is also worth it I'd say, faster loading, smoother gameplay etc.  Sure, if you have the original XB1, like I do, or got the S last year, then you can hold off, it just depends on ones needs or wants as far as how they're games run and look.

Another thing, the same can be said for the PS4 side, you can save money and get a very good priced PS4 slim bundle and not bother with the PS4 Pro at all.

On 6/11/2017 at 5:46 PM, wakjak said:

There really wasn't any "WOW I HAVE TO BUY THIS NOW"... If you've got an Xbox One S, you're not really needing to run out to get a One X.

I'm definitely disagreeing with you on that.  I have a PS4 Pro now and Destiny looks much better on it over my X1.

Even with 1080p you'll get solid max res performance and proper FSAA on every game out there (that is aware of it, I doubt everyone will upgrade their games for it but still) which the X1/X1S couldn't handle.

The X1X may be the first console I ever preorder.

This is the push I've needed to stop upgrading my desktop (mainly used for work now any way) and upgrade the living room TV. Now to start window shopping for a new UHD HDR TV...

• Like 1