E3 2017 Microsoft Press Conference Discussion

dipsylalapo

I thought the same @MikeChipshop

Anthem looks beautiful. 

• Like 1
George P

I know some people were thinking $600 or something higher, that'd just be crazy.

Andrew

Dear oh dear :no:

Good to know I don't need to shell out £430 this year now.

• Like 1
wakjak
Just now, Andrew said:

There really wasn't any "WOW I HAVE TO BUY THIS NOW"... If you've got an Xbox One S, you're not really needing to run out to get a One X.

Andrew
1 minute ago, wakjak said:

There really wasn't any "WOW I HAVE TO BUY THIS NOW"... If you've got an Xbox One S, you're not really needing to run out to get a One X.

Yup, and with only 1.2M 4K households in the UK, a probable price drop on the PS4 Pro, no killer app - MS has one hell of an uphill struggle to sell this console.

The actual console looked great though. No more VCR / swiss cheese plastics and what I imagined the X1 should have looked like in 2013.

vcfan

$499 as I expected. great price

G.i.b.b.s
1 minute ago, wakjak said:

If you've already invested in a 4k tv, like I have, it is a "WOW I HAVE TO BUY THIS NOW" so that i can FINALLY play full 4k 60fps games, unlike my ps4pro which doesn't all the time. The only concerning this is having developers issue updates to already released games to make them "ENHANCED FOR XBOX X"

George P

No big wow game, true, but then again, if you're a multiplatform player anyways, wouldn't getting the best 3rd party experience be a selling point to people to going forward?   I already have a 4k TV as well, so it's an option for holiday or early 2018.

I figure they're going to make a bigger push next year after they've had it on the market and can get more first party games and other exclusives on it.

Yogurth

it is hard making a good presentation without an actual system seller. Nothing there looked great :( apart from The Last Night and I missed The Anthem announcement so I can't comment on that. E3 really showed in how much trouble is XBox gaming ecosystem.

Andrew
1 minute ago, Yogurth said:

it is hard making a good presentation without an actual system seller. Nothing there looked great :( apart from The Last Night and I missed The Anthem announcement so I can't comment on that. E3 really showed in how much trouble is XBox gaming ecosystem.

The Last Night looked amazing! Can't wait to learn more about that one :yes:

Also wish Fallout 4 looked like Metro 3, but oh well, we got what we got :p

• Like 1
+Audioboxer
17 minutes ago, Andrew said:

£450 :rofl:

Screenshot_20170611_235615.png

wakjak

$599 in Canada 

After tax for me would be $688.85 So nearly $700 for console only.. then I'd need a 4K TV.. then $500-$600  maybe $700 for a 4K TV with HDR. 

Vandalsquad

Got called out to emergency job this morning so missed the live stream :( But the job paid for my preorder and console $649AU. People thinking this would be $399 are insane. It's targeted to the enthusiast with expensive gear already. 

Xbox original backwards support is massive, biggest news for me out of this can't believe that isn't being talked about more. We all knew the games we would be getting. A console going forward that will play every generation of games but. Just got invited into Sea of Thieves beta as well :woot: 

Never got around to Witcher either but think I seen that as one of the games getting a 4K upgrade for xbox so I'll finally get in on it (Y)

Sexiest console to date now as well, can finally see why they didn't release the S in black now.

George P
3 hours ago, wakjak said:

$599 in Canada 

After tax for me would be $688.85 So nearly $700 for console only.. then I'd need a 4K TV.. then $500-$600  maybe $700 for a 4K TV with HDR. 

No need to rush it man, wait till early next year, probably when I'll get one as well, like Feb 2018 or so.  I got a new 4k TV back in March so that's out of the way, I'd start with the TV first.

wakjak

Oh I am not rushing, recently bought house, so that comes first with getting expensive stuff lol.

Vandalsquad
7 minutes ago, wakjak said:

Oh I am not rushing, recently bought house, so that comes first with getting expensive stuff lol.

Think of it as a reward to yourself for the hard saving of getting the house :shifty:

• Like 2
George P

Either way, I don't buy new consoles day one, so it's nothing new to me, I'll get it at some point.  This years list of games is on the smaller side, more AA and indie exclusives or timed exclusives.   Not bad, going forward would be interesting, see if devs want to break away and not be held back by the old XB/PS4 hardware and move ahead with games made more for the PS4 Pro and XBX next year.

It's clear though, if you enjoy playing on both and want the best experience as far as 3rd party stuff, looks like Xbox One X is were you will go from now on, like it was back with the 360.

dipsylalapo

Just an interpretation, but looks like the small came with a price. Just reading up on the One X and from Xbox Wire

Every Xbox One X unit will come with a 1TB hard drive, a matching Xbox Wireless Controller, HDMI cable, power supply, a 1-month free Xbox Game Pass subscription and a 14-day free Xbox Live Gold membership.

Does that mean back to external power brick?

Edit, if I finished the article the next paragraph says built in power supply!

• Like 1
George P
9 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Just an interpretation, but looks like the small came with a price. Just reading up on the One X and from Xbox Wire

Does that mean back to external power brick?

Edit, if I finished the article the next paragraph says built in power supply!

Yeah it's all internal, the same cable from the S works on the X, all you have to do is take the X, take all the cables off of your S and plug them right into the X and you're good to go.

Also saw this just come across twitter.

dipsylalapo

Looks pretty cool. I'm dreading to think what the 4K patch sizes are for the One X

MikeChipshop
12 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Looks pretty cool. I'm dreading to think what the 4K patch sizes are for the One X

For me i n Scotland it'll be "This game needs an update. Come back and try again in three weeks" :p

-T-
3 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

For me i n Scotland it'll be "This game needs an update. Come back and try again in three weeks" :p

I'm in a virgin media area in Scotland, being on the updates 

Buying this day one, can't wait 

MikeChipshop
1 minute ago, -T- said:

I'm in a virgin media area in Scotland, being on the updates 

Buying this day one, can't wait 

Show off. I'm on the only choice available here BT, and being rural its absolutely dire. Still, the One X is going to be a day oner for me too.

dipsylalapo
38 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

Show off. I'm on the only choice available here BT, and being rural its absolutely dire. Still, the One X is going to be a day oner for me too.

You better hope that there's not a large update on Day One like they had with the One. 

• Like 1
George P
36 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

You better hope that there's not a large update on Day One like they had with the One. 

The updates  to existing games for 4k might be big due to the nature of it, you're downloading the bigger, more detailed, 4k assets.  Look at the size of Gears 4 on the Xbox One and then look at the size of it on the PC, you'll get a good idea of what to expect.

I also don't expect a big day one update either, they've been working on this for quite some time and the dash will probably be the same between them, just with a 4k option on the X.

• Andrew unpinned this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By anmol112
      Microsoft plans to add chat bubbles support to Teams
      by Anmol Mehrotra

Microsoft is working on a new feature that should help users send and receive messages with ease while on a Teams call. The upcoming chat bubbles feature will allow users to follow messages while being on a call.

The Redmond giant recently update the Microsoft 365 Roadmap to include chat bubbles. Microsoft notes that chat bubbles are currently under development right now. The company gave the following explanation on how they will work.

Microsoft first announced the feature last July and is planning to roll it out to Teams users soon. According to the Roadmap page, the feature will roll out to Teams users in May 2021. It is not clear if the feature will work outside Teams, allowing users to follow a conversation on Teams and use another app simultaneously.

Apart from the aforementioned feature, Microsoft is also working with third-parties to make electronic attestation easier as well as add support for replies to individual messages. Moreover, the company will soon allow users to lock meetings, set Breakout Room timers and more. Microsoft has also added multiple new entries to Microsoft 365 Roadmap that are aimed at improving the polls feature by using AI and the company is working on letting users spotlight up to seven users and translate PowerPoint slideshows. Lastly, Microsoft is also working on Breakout Rooms and bandwidth management improvements for Teams users.

• By indospot
      Microsoft confirms Nuance acquisition for nearly $20 billion
      by João Carrasqueira

Over the weekend, reports emerged that Microsoft was considering an acquisition of Nuance Communications, a company focusing on cloud and AI products, specifically for healthcare. It hasn't taken long for an official confirmation, as Microsoft has now announced that that's acquiring the company in an all-cash transaction valued at $19.7 billion, including Nuance's net debt. That values each share at $56, a 23% increase over their closing price on Friday, April 9.

Nuance's products include Dragon Ambient eXperience, Dragon Medical One, and PowerScribe One, all of which are speech recognition services powered by Microsoft's Azure. In fact, the acquisition of Nuance follows a partnership between the two companies back in 2019, when the companies brought the Dragon Medical software and Microsoft's Azure solutions together to "transform the doctor-patient experience".

Nuance's healthcare-focused products are very widely used across the United States, with 55% of physicians and 75% of radiologists relying on them. But the company does more than healthcare, also offering solutions in the field of AI and customer engagement, such as helping with Apple's Siri virtual assistant.

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella commented on the acquisition, saying:

The transaction has been approved unanimously by the Boards of Directors at both companies and is expected to close by the end of the 2021 calendar year, though the financial effects will mostly be felt in fiscal year 2023 for Microsoft. Mark Benjamin will continue to serve as CEO of Nuance and report to Microsoft's Scott Guthrie, vice president of the Cloud & AI group at the Redmond company.

• By indospot
      Edge is getting a new Workspaces feature, and you can try it now
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft's Chromium-based Edge browser gets new features on a fairly frequent basis, and now another useful one may be on the horizon. As shared by Reddit user (and frequent spotter of new Edge features) Leopeva64-2, Microsoft has added a new hidden Workspaces feature in Edge Canary, the most active development branch for Edge Insiders.

Workspaces live next to the tab bar at the top, and they essentially let a user rename a window and save all of the tabs open on it for later. It may sound similar in concept to Collections, but Workspaces open in their own separate window each time, so you can always have a specific window to focus on a certain task. Workspaces persist across browsing sessions, too, and you can close the window and reopen the workspace later.

However, closing a tab in a workspace means it won't be part of the workspace anymore, and any tabs you've opened are added to the workspace and saved when you close it. Essentially, while Collections let you easily access everything related to a specific topic whenever you want to, Workspaces are more so focused on saving your workflow. The current tabs and tab groups in a workspace are saved, while tabs that have been closed are not.

Unlike most hidden Edge features, this one isn't available as a flag, but instead as a launch parameter. If you want to try out Workspaces, you'll need to create a shortcut for Edge Canary with this parameter (via gHacks):

To do this, you can edit the existing shortcut on your desktop by right-clicking the shortcut and choosing Properties. Then, add the text above at the end of the Target field, outside of the quotation marks. You can also edit the link on your Start menu by right-clicking Edge Canary and choosing "Open file location", which should open the Start Menu folder. You can then edit the shortcut in that folder as explained above. If you have the browser pinned to your taskbar, you may need to unpin and pin it again for it to be updated.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Microsoft could acquire AI firm Nuance Communications in a $16 billion deal
      by Jay Bonggolto

Microsoft partnered with Nuance Communications in 2019 to develop ambient sensing and conversational AI systems that would automate healthcare administrative tasks and clinical documentation while physicians focused their full attention to taking care of patients. Now, a new report suggests the software giant is acquiring the artificial intelligence company.

Citing people familiar with the matter, Bloomberg reports Microsoft may announce an agreement with Nuance as early as this week. Discussions are not yet final between the two companies and Nuance could be valued at around $56 per share if current negotiations hold. This means the deal could be worth $16 billion, Bloomberg noted.

It's also worth noting that Nuance provided the underlying technology for Apple's Siri digital assistant. Nuance's speech recognition system called Dragon, in particular, is at the core of its AI offerings for various industries including healthcare, legal, law enforcement, education, and financial services.

Microsoft's rumored discussion with Nuance is a step forward in the Redmond-based company's longstanding AI push. Its most recent investment in AI came in the form of a partnership with Qualcomm late last year to enhance the development and deployment of AI and machine learning systems for developers working in this area.

That said, Microsoft's talks with Nuance could still fall apart. But if it succeeds, it will be the company's second largest acquisition to date, next only to its $24 billion purchase of LinkedIn in 2016.

Source: Bloomberg

• By indospot
      Neowin Podcast Episode 22: LG gives up on phones, and what's next for Windows 10
      by João Carrasqueira

The Neowin Podcast is supported by Audible, a provider of audiobooks, podcasts, and other audio-based entertainment that you can download and listen to anywhere, even when you're offline. Plus, if you also use Kindle to read books, your progress can even sync between your written books and the audio version. Sign up for a free trial of Audible and get your first audiobook for free at audibletrial.com/neowin. You can even keep that audiobook - and any other ones you end up getting - forever if you cancel your subscription.

Welcome back to the Neowin Podcast. On episode 22 - which might be our final one as Rich is leaving Neowin - we talk about the sad news that LG has officially called it quits on its mobile business, as well as the uncertain path for Windows 10 in the next few months.

This week started with news that may have left many of us disheartened. After almost two decades in the mobile phone space, LG has decided to close down its smartphone division due to the highly competitive nature of the market. As we discuss in the episode, LG was responsible for many innovations throughout the years, even in the smartphone era, with standout devices like the LG G Flex 2, the G5, or the V10.

Then, on Wednesday, we got a new Windows 10 build after a hiatus last week, and with it came a switch to a new development branch, co_release, signaling that Microsoft may be getting ready to wrap up development on the big Windows 10 feature update for this fall. We were expecting a big visual overhaul, x64 emulation on ARM, and potentially even support for Android apps, but it's unclear where things may be headed with this switch. The build also came with the news that Paint and Snipping Tool are going to start being updated through the Microsoft Store.

If you'd like to catch up on the news discussed in this episode, you can use the links below:

LG is officially shutting down its mobile phone business, but you may still get updates Retrospective: LG G Flex 2; LG G5, and LG V10 Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 21354 from the co_release branch Microsoft will update Snipping Tool and Paint through the Microsoft Store

You can listen to the episode below, and the Neowin Podcast is available on iTunes - and apps that rely on its library - as well as Google Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon Music. And if you want to add it to your own podcast library, you can use this RSS feed:

Neowin.net · Episode 22 - LG gives up on phones, and what's next for Windows 10