E3 2017 Microsoft Press Conference Discussion

dipsylalapo

I thought the same @MikeChipshop

Anthem looks beautiful. 

• Like 1
George P

I know some people were thinking $600 or something higher, that'd just be crazy.

Andrew

Dear oh dear :no:

Good to know I don't need to shell out £430 this year now.

• Like 1
wakjak
Just now, Andrew said:

There really wasn't any "WOW I HAVE TO BUY THIS NOW"... If you've got an Xbox One S, you're not really needing to run out to get a One X.

Andrew
1 minute ago, wakjak said:

There really wasn't any "WOW I HAVE TO BUY THIS NOW"... If you've got an Xbox One S, you're not really needing to run out to get a One X.

Yup, and with only 1.2M 4K households in the UK, a probable price drop on the PS4 Pro, no killer app - MS has one hell of an uphill struggle to sell this console.

The actual console looked great though. No more VCR / swiss cheese plastics and what I imagined the X1 should have looked like in 2013.

vcfan

$499 as I expected. great price

G.i.b.b.s
1 minute ago, wakjak said:

If you've already invested in a 4k tv, like I have, it is a "WOW I HAVE TO BUY THIS NOW" so that i can FINALLY play full 4k 60fps games, unlike my ps4pro which doesn't all the time. The only concerning this is having developers issue updates to already released games to make them "ENHANCED FOR XBOX X"

George P

No big wow game, true, but then again, if you're a multiplatform player anyways, wouldn't getting the best 3rd party experience be a selling point to people to going forward?   I already have a 4k TV as well, so it's an option for holiday or early 2018.

I figure they're going to make a bigger push next year after they've had it on the market and can get more first party games and other exclusives on it.

Yogurth

it is hard making a good presentation without an actual system seller. Nothing there looked great :( apart from The Last Night and I missed The Anthem announcement so I can't comment on that. E3 really showed in how much trouble is XBox gaming ecosystem.

Andrew
1 minute ago, Yogurth said:

it is hard making a good presentation without an actual system seller. Nothing there looked great :( apart from The Last Night and I missed The Anthem announcement so I can't comment on that. E3 really showed in how much trouble is XBox gaming ecosystem.

The Last Night looked amazing! Can't wait to learn more about that one :yes:

Also wish Fallout 4 looked like Metro 3, but oh well, we got what we got :p

• Like 1
+Audioboxer
17 minutes ago, Andrew said:

£450 :rofl:

Screenshot_20170611_235615.png

wakjak

$599 in Canada 

After tax for me would be $688.85 So nearly $700 for console only.. then I'd need a 4K TV.. then $500-$600  maybe $700 for a 4K TV with HDR. 

Vandalsquad

Got called out to emergency job this morning so missed the live stream :( But the job paid for my preorder and console $649AU. People thinking this would be $399 are insane. It's targeted to the enthusiast with expensive gear already. 

Xbox original backwards support is massive, biggest news for me out of this can't believe that isn't being talked about more. We all knew the games we would be getting. A console going forward that will play every generation of games but. Just got invited into Sea of Thieves beta as well :woot: 

Never got around to Witcher either but think I seen that as one of the games getting a 4K upgrade for xbox so I'll finally get in on it (Y)

Sexiest console to date now as well, can finally see why they didn't release the S in black now.

George P
3 hours ago, wakjak said:

$599 in Canada 

After tax for me would be $688.85 So nearly $700 for console only.. then I'd need a 4K TV.. then $500-$600  maybe $700 for a 4K TV with HDR. 

No need to rush it man, wait till early next year, probably when I'll get one as well, like Feb 2018 or so.  I got a new 4k TV back in March so that's out of the way, I'd start with the TV first.

wakjak

Oh I am not rushing, recently bought house, so that comes first with getting expensive stuff lol.

Vandalsquad
7 minutes ago, wakjak said:

Oh I am not rushing, recently bought house, so that comes first with getting expensive stuff lol.

Think of it as a reward to yourself for the hard saving of getting the house :shifty:

• Like 2
George P

Either way, I don't buy new consoles day one, so it's nothing new to me, I'll get it at some point.  This years list of games is on the smaller side, more AA and indie exclusives or timed exclusives.   Not bad, going forward would be interesting, see if devs want to break away and not be held back by the old XB/PS4 hardware and move ahead with games made more for the PS4 Pro and XBX next year.

It's clear though, if you enjoy playing on both and want the best experience as far as 3rd party stuff, looks like Xbox One X is were you will go from now on, like it was back with the 360.

dipsylalapo

Just an interpretation, but looks like the small came with a price. Just reading up on the One X and from Xbox Wire

Every Xbox One X unit will come with a 1TB hard drive, a matching Xbox Wireless Controller, HDMI cable, power supply, a 1-month free Xbox Game Pass subscription and a 14-day free Xbox Live Gold membership.

Does that mean back to external power brick?

Edit, if I finished the article the next paragraph says built in power supply!

• Like 1
George P
9 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Just an interpretation, but looks like the small came with a price. Just reading up on the One X and from Xbox Wire

Does that mean back to external power brick?

Edit, if I finished the article the next paragraph says built in power supply!

Yeah it's all internal, the same cable from the S works on the X, all you have to do is take the X, take all the cables off of your S and plug them right into the X and you're good to go.

Also saw this just come across twitter.

dipsylalapo

Looks pretty cool. I'm dreading to think what the 4K patch sizes are for the One X

MikeChipshop
12 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Looks pretty cool. I'm dreading to think what the 4K patch sizes are for the One X

For me i n Scotland it'll be "This game needs an update. Come back and try again in three weeks" :p

-T-
3 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

For me i n Scotland it'll be "This game needs an update. Come back and try again in three weeks" :p

I'm in a virgin media area in Scotland, being on the updates 

Buying this day one, can't wait 

MikeChipshop
1 minute ago, -T- said:

I'm in a virgin media area in Scotland, being on the updates 

Buying this day one, can't wait 

Show off. I'm on the only choice available here BT, and being rural its absolutely dire. Still, the One X is going to be a day oner for me too.

dipsylalapo
38 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

Show off. I'm on the only choice available here BT, and being rural its absolutely dire. Still, the One X is going to be a day oner for me too.

You better hope that there's not a large update on Day One like they had with the One. 

• Like 1
George P
36 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

You better hope that there's not a large update on Day One like they had with the One. 

The updates  to existing games for 4k might be big due to the nature of it, you're downloading the bigger, more detailed, 4k assets.  Look at the size of Gears 4 on the Xbox One and then look at the size of it on the PC, you'll get a good idea of what to expect.

I also don't expect a big day one update either, they've been working on this for quite some time and the dash will probably be the same between them, just with a 4k option on the X.

• Andrew unpinned this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LoneWolfSL
      FPS Boost arrives in 13 EA games, up to 120FPS supported on Xbox Series X|S
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

FPS Boost support is expanding to include quite a few older Electronic Arts-published games, offering Xbox Series X|S owners access to hugely improved frame rates that weren't possible in last-gen consoles.

Today's additions bring hits like the three most recent Battlefield entries, Star Wars Battlefront games, and the Titanfall franchise over to the "up to 120FPS" camp over from their original up to 60FPS states in last gen. The sole game that only sees a bump up to 60FPS is the EA Originals title Sea of Solitude. See the complete list of newly FPS Boosted games below:

Battlefield 1 Battlefield 4 Battlefield V Mirror’s Edge Catalyst Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 STAR WARS Battlefront STAR WARS Battlefront II Titanfall Titanfall 2 Unravel 2 Sea of Solitude Note that FPS Boost will not be enabled by default on some of these experiences, and needs to be turned on in the Compatibility Options manually.

All 13 EA games introduced today to FPS Boost are also included in the EA Play subscription, which means Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members with an Xbox Series X or S can jump in and try out the updates right now.

With the latest arrivals, FPS Boost is now available on 23 games, including the original batch of five titles added in February and the five Bethesda games from March.

• By indospot
      Office LTSC and Office 2021 for Mac are now available for commercial preview
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft has announced that the next "perpetual" version of Office, called Office Long Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) for Windows and Office 2021 for Mac, is now available for commercial preview. Microsoft announced the next version of the perpetual license version of Office back in February and promised a commercial preview in April, so things are lining up well.

The Office LTSC releases are different from Microsoft 365 (previously Office 365), because they require a one-time purchase, but that also means they never get any new features until the next perpetual license release. Additionally, you get five years of mainstream support, but after that, it's over, while Microsoft 365 subscribers get continuous support and new features added as long as their subscription is active.

Office LTSC/2021 will add some features that have been showing up in Office 365 over the past couple of years, though a full list isn't finalized. Microsoft has already revealed some highlights, though, like support for Dynamic Arrays and the new XLOOKUP function in Excel, Line Focus in Word, and the ability to record a slideshow with narration in PowerPoint.

Another major change from previous releases is that the next Office LTSC version will ship with Teams as part of the installed features, rather than Skype for Business, but Teams is treated differently than other Office apps. Unlike the others, it will continue to get updates continuously over time, but you also only get access to the free version of Teams, since the premium version is licensed separately. You can learn more about managing the free version of Teams here.

If you're interested in trying out the latest release, you can follow the instructions on this page to install the preview.

• By indospot
      Microsoft Lists is now available on iPad and supports InTune APP configuration
      by João Carrasqueira

The iOS version of Microsoft Lists now supports the iPad, bringing an improved interface for the large-screen display of Apple's tablet lineup, Microsoft announced today. As you'd expect, the iPad version of the app makes better use of the available space to show more items and more details for lists.

On the home screen favorites, recent lists, and search are all easily accessible, with tabs at the bottom for different sections of the app. Once a list is opened, the items in it can be sorted and filtered at will, and you can change what information is listed in each column by tapping the header. The experience is similar to the web version of Lists, but with UI elements that fit better into iOS.

In addition to adding support for iPad, Microsoft is also making it so that the iOS version of Microsoft Lists can now be configured in the InTune app protection policy (APP) through the Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center. Additionally, it now supports conditional access to be deployed in the Azure admin portal.

Finally, Microsoft has made it so that you can restore lists deleted from the iOS app using the recycle bin of the site Lists is tied to. If you're confused, Microsoft Lists is part of SharePoint, which is why it's a business-only tool. You'll need to be a commercial Microsoft 365 customer with a subscription that includes SharePoint to use it. If you're interested in other Lists improvements, Microsoft announced some more significant ones at its spring Ignite event in March, including list versioning enabled by default and more.

• By zikalify
      UK's Met Office and Microsoft sign supercomputer deal
      by Paul Hill

Microsoft has announced that it has signed a multimillion-pound agreement with the Met Office – the UK government’s meteorological service – for the provisioning of a new supercomputer that will improve weather and climate forecasting.

According to Microsoft, the new supercomputer will be in the top 25 supercomputers worldwide and will be twice as powerful as any of the other supercomputers in the UK. As the planet continues to heat up, the new supercomputer will be able to help the country prepare for the more severe storms, floods, and snow that is expected in the coming years.

Commenting on the agreement, Penny Endersby, Chief Executive of the Met Office, said:

Microsoft and the Met Office plan to have the new supercomputer up and running sometime in the summer of 2022. Over the 10-year lifespan of the agreement, financial benefits are expected to reach up to £13 billion.

As with all supercomputers, this one will be energy-intensive. Microsoft said that it will be powered by 100% renewable energy and will take advantage of energy efficiency methods. It’s expected that these efforts will save 7,415 tonnes of CO2 in the first year of operational service alone.

• By Steven P.
      How to block KB5001330 Patch Tuesday update affecting game performance
      by Steven Parker

Just over a week ago on Patch Tuesday, KB5001330 was released for the most recent production build of Windows 10, which is version 20H2. If you’re still on Windows 10 version 1909, it’s KB5001337. However it seems that the internet is awash with people having issues with game stutters and performance related issues with these updates.

In our own testing on an Intel Core i9-9900K, 32GB RAM system we were experiencing mouse lag in certain conditions with video playback, and stutter in gameplay through various Steam titles. A quick Google search reveals the extent of the problem.

Even Nvidia suggests uninstalling the KB5001330 update, but as you may or may not know it is near impossible to opt out of updates like these, whenever you uninstall "Quality Updates" the next time you boot, it will be automatically installed again.

However, there is a way. First of all you should download the wushowhide tool that allows you to hide and disable pending Windows updates, it is only available on third party websites because the official Microsoft download link is broken. We have chosen MajorGeeks as a trusted host for the tool, which you can download here. Then you'll need to uninstall the update:

Go to All settings -> Update & Security -> View update history, Click on Uninstall updates, an old fashioned Control Panel will open, Find Cumulative Update (KB5001330 or KB5001337), right click on it and select Uninstall, Reboot Windows when prompted.

At the first opportunity after rebooting, run the wushowhide tool -> select Next to scan for updates, then click on Hide updates (Windows will not install hidden updates) in the list that appears, find the KB5001330 or KB5001337 update and select it, then click Next, after that you can close the tool.

Now Windows will be blocked from installing that update until you run the wushowhide tool again and select the other option to "Show hidden updates" and deselect the KB5001330 or KB5001337 update, after which it will present itself in Windows Update again.

Hopefully, Microsoft will simply offer a new update to solve the issues that are present in this buggy Patch Tuesday one, if Nvidia is already suggesting to uninstall the update we can only assume that Microsoft is fully aware of the problem and will address it in due course.