Sign in to follow this  

If you have a potentially lucrative, money making idea, where do you start?

papercut2008uk    99

I've always been an 'idea's' man, but don't know where to take these idea's to make them a reality.

I've come up with a simple, and potentially lucrative idea but have no idea where to turn to to put this in motion.

The problem is asking for help may inadvertently give someone else the idea and take it from you! So where do you go? when you need someone else that might have the skills that you don't?

wakjak    7,245

I would start with discussing it with a lawyer for a fee. Confidential, and no potential of giving the idea away, and they could maybe steer you in the right direction on how to protect your idea.

+T3X4S    4,433
On 6/7/2017 at 6:12 PM, papercut2008uk said:

I've always been an 'idea's' man, but don't know where to take these idea's to make them a reality.

I've come up with a simple, and potentially lucrative idea but have no idea where to turn to to put this in motion.

The problem is asking for help may inadvertently give someone else the idea and take it from you! So where do you go? when you need someone else that might have the skills that you don't?

On 6/7/2017 at 6:21 PM, wakjak said:

I would start with discussing it with a lawyer for a fee. Confidential, and no potential of giving the idea away, and they could maybe steer you in the right direction on how to protect your idea.

Definitely get a lawyer involved.

It used to be that all a person needed was a "poor man's patent" and you could establish prior art if your idea was stolen, or if someone made money off of something you thought of a long time ago.  But, those dont really hold any credence anymore.

A poor man's patent is basically scribbling down your idea on a piece of paper, and mailing it to yourself.  In the US, once it goes through the mail it becomes a binding legal document.   (You never open the letter you sent yourself, you would just hang on to it - should the need arise - you could declare prior art...)

Prior art basically means "proof of concept" - or "I thought of this back when..."

Times have changed, and depending on where you are - (I'll assume the UK) - laws are different.

If you dont have any friends who are lawyers, (you dont know how lucky you are - my life has been surrounded by lawyers for years now ) 
Im not really sure about the UK's laws on intellectual property - so Im afraid I couldnt help you.

For starters, you should spend some time and search some of the patent & trademark databases to make sure your good ideas aren't already sitting in some drawer, in some gov't office - for starters.

If you were in the US - I could help... a lot.  My father made his money from a patent, and my family was in pretty deep with IP litigation for many years.  But... like I said, in the UK - I dont know the laws.

Good Luck

wendy oltman    137

I'm just following this thread.