Fidget Spinner Discussion

I have 6 (soon 9) of them now, and I like them, keeps my mind off things, releases stress.

What I do NOT understand is why so many schools ban it. Why they say there's no scientific testing that it works.

While on the other side, people are saying that it really does work, with scientific proof. For children/adults with Autism or ADHD.

It's just all over the board, what is your take? Is it a toy, a tool, a nuisance, an attention helper? Just want your thoughts.

IMO, when used correctly, not just spin it every minute of the day, it can be helpful. Schools should lessen its use, like not use it when a teacher is talking, but can use it during homework times, or tests.

I think they're kinda neat. They really blew up over the last month or two, didn't they? I've tried them and I don't see the appeal for myself, but my brother in law says his really helps him, and he's always had ADHD or something. He's highly functional if a little eccentric, but when he's not playing with his lizard or holding his baby, or smoking or drinking, he can be seen flicking that little spinner. I tried it. It's okay. Saw a bunch at an anime convention I went to last month. Thought about picking them up as gifts, but I figure the kids who want them already have them, and they cost more at the con. I see my oldest niece tomorrow, so I'll see if she has one. My nephews all do. I don't think she's ever had ADHD or anything like that, but she's followed enough of the fads. She was big into those shaped rubber bands kids were wearing on their wrists. And they'd trade them at school. She even gave me a couple, and if I didn't pass them on to one of the nephews (and then pass her back ones they'd give me in trade) I might still have them laying around in a box somewhere.

Anyway, I got no problem with them. I think the real problem is those who have a problem with them. Like, really? If it helps someone... how is that a problem? I guess some people live for the suffering of others.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dragontology said:

I think they're kinda neat. They really blew up over the last month or two, didn't they? I've tried them and I don't see the appeal for myself, but my brother in law says his really helps him, and he's always had ADHD or something. He's highly functional if a little eccentric, but when he's not playing with his lizard or holding his baby, or smoking or drinking, he can be seen flicking that little spinner. I tried it. It's okay. Saw a bunch at an anime convention I went to last month. Thought about picking them up as gifts, but I figure the kids who want them already have them, and they cost more at the con. I see my oldest niece tomorrow, so I'll see if she has one. My nephews all do. I don't think she's ever had ADHD or anything like that, but she's followed enough of the fads. She was big into those shaped rubber bands kids were wearing on their wrists. And they'd trade them at school. She even gave me a couple, and if I didn't pass them on to one of the nephews (and then pass her back ones they'd give me in trade) I might still have them laying around in a box somewhere.

Anyway, I got no problem with them. I think the real problem is those who have a problem with them. Like, really? If it helps someone... how is that a problem? I guess some people live for the suffering of others.

I've suffered from a degree of autism, adhd and ocd, (still do) at 42 years old in 15 days' time, my stepson, who was 2 years old when I met my, then girlfriend, now wife, suffers greatly with autism (pretty sure fidget toys, <spinners/cubes> weren't around 16 years ago). I, like you don't see the big deal, but if it does help in some way, to focus, or calm autistic minds, I'm for it.

• Like 3

So you're 42, you're 5 years older than me, and you were diagnosed with Autism and/or ADHD? Or, you just fit the symptoms? I mean no offense when I say it, but when I was a kid, growing up in northern California, they didn't use those terms, they just told us to go outside and play. I even saw shrinks for anger issues (my father had a good job, so it was covered under his medical insurance) and I never heard those terms until I was older. So I've wondered if I would have been diagnosed. It's possible I'm on the spectrum as a high functioning member. Anyway, I don't see it as an insult. How can it be, if you can't help it? I have a nephew who is autistic, and I have a couple nephews and a brother in law (maybe two) with ADHD. The maybe is really more of a narcissistic ass. An only child, and his personality shows. (Not my wife's real brother. More of a pack brother. Her family, as my family does, adopts friends as family. So we say pack brother, pack sister, for people who are not family by blood but by honor or something like that. Though usually the "pack" is silent. But that is what is meant. I suspect a lot of people do this, actually.) So I have great sympathy for those who are autistic, and respect for those who can function through it.

And actually according to Wikipedia, fidget spinners have been around since the 90s. I don't really believe it, but that's what it says. The fidget cube (article is linked from the one I linked) is newer.

5 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

What I do NOT understand is why so many schools ban it

Because you don't want a room full of kids fiddling with silly little TOYS while they are meant to be learning.  I don't buy that whole "helps you focus" nonsense - it's just a thing that people selling them have said, not anything with any background.  They are a distraction, not a learning aid.

3 hours ago, dragontology said:

So you're 42, you're 5 years older than me, and you were diagnosed with Autism and/or ADHD? Or, you just fit the symptoms? 

No, back then I was just classed as a naughty child, but I see the things my son (who is my stepson) does, and remember that I used to do that, so I understood the 'feeling' for lack of a better word. He did stuff he was told not to, and couldn't explain why, he would have to be told 3 or 4 times to do or not do something, just like me, I control it within myself well, but sometimes I can 'feel' it creeping back, and have to make sure I am aware that I might do something.

I can only hope I've taught my son to recognise it within him...

(Quite often, I am positive of an answer, but when questioned, I find myself doubting my answer)

(Not sure if any of this makes any sense)

The ADHD and OCD, I sometimes catch myself, I have a habit of repeating myself, and I can be told something directly, and only hear part of what was said, while looking directly at the person talking to me...

• Like 3

I have not ever seen one of these in real life, but how is it different than making a pen or pencil spin in your hand ? That's what I used to do with my hands when I was at school. Well, at least before I figured I could just stop listening and started drawing stuff while the teacher talked. My math teacher once found my drawings and he was ######... even more so because I still managed to ace his tests... Why am I rambling about my life ? Am I that old ?

I work at a school and I can tell you, they are annoying. Admittedly, I am not a teacher, only a mere IT Technician, but I have seen how annoying they can be. We have banned them for all students unless they have educational needs that dictate that they require them. Why are they annoying? Because they are distractions to learning. A child brings one out, it not only distracts that pupil because they are using it and not actually paying attention to the class teacher, but they will also be attempting to show it off and distracting the other pupils around them. It is also a source of bullying for those who either don't have them or have them stolen by other students.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

unless they have educational needs that dictate that they require them

There are 0 educational needs that require fidget spinners.. People need to start smacking their children when they act up or don't pay attention, instead of "diagnosing" every kid with ADHD or ADD etc. They are kids, that's what they do, they want to go play or do something other then school work.  This society of putting a label on every kid to give them an excuse of why they act the way they act is the schools, doctors, and parents way of making up a reason to go "oh that is the way he/she is" and ignoring their children while they surf on their iPad.

Now these same kids who already have an excuse to act out, over what a normal non-"diagnosed" kid has (who would likely be punished for their actions because they aren't "special" like the ADHD/ADD children), are given these toys to play with 24/7 while they should be doing other things like paying attention in school.

• Like 2

Got a couple of cheap ones.  Want to get a better one.  Saves breaking pen lids and paperclips at work.

To the people saying that they have more than one fidget spinner, why? Having briefly looked I see that you can get ones with different numbers of "blades" and also the patterns can be different when the blades are in motion, but I still don't understand. If they are to aid with concentration like is suggested then you wouldn't be focusing on the pattern or blades to begin with, you would be trying to focus on the class/meeting/whatever-you-like. So by that token, once you have one you're set.

Much like Snapchat, I don't understand the point of this. I'll stick to playing with pens.

• Like 2

My brother bought one while we were on vacation at the beach. I almost tossed it into the surf.

This is one fad, I don't understand.  

42 minutes ago, xendrome said:

People need to start smacking their children when they act up or don't pay attention, instead of "diagnosing" every kid with ADHD or ADD etc. 

I love when people say crap like this, shows an underlying level of ignorance being covered up by false assertiveness. I know for a fact, in the UK (cannot answer for definite about the rest of Europe) a parent WILL be arrested for smacking a child, as I was arrested when I hit my son for stealing.

Non 'needs' kids weren't even mentioned.

17 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

My brother bought one while we were on vacation at the beach. I almost tossed it into the surf.

This is one fad, I don't understand.  

For me, even though I don't own one, but my kids do, it has a little charm as with the sleeves removed from the bearings, you can see the engineering (such as it is) at work.

I like watching steam locomotives for similar reasons, and find them fascinating.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

To the people saying that they have more than one fidget spinner, why? Having briefly looked I see that you can get ones with different numbers of "blades" and also the patterns can be different when the blades are in motion, but I still don't understand. If they are to aid with concentration like is suggested then you wouldn't be focusing on the pattern or blades to begin with, you would be trying to focus on the class/meeting/whatever-you-like. So by that token, once you have one you're set.

Much like Snapchat, I don't understand the point of this. I'll stick to playing with pens.

I wouldn't go as far as therapeutic, and like DM said above, they're more of a fad, like those yoyos or other spinning toys that had LEDs in them, and made patterns when used.

45 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

1 hour ago, Brys said:

I have not ever seen one of these in real life, but how is it different than making a pen or pencil spin in your hand ? That's what I used to do with my hands when I was at school. Well, at least before I figured I could just stop listening and started drawing stuff while the teacher talked. My math teacher once found my drawings and he was ######... even more so because I still managed to ace his tests... Why am I rambling about my life ? Am I that old ?

These to gentlemen are spot on.  

No disrespect, but if you need to justify something  NOT prescribed by a doctor, IMO, is just Fear Of Missing Out.

• Like 1

I don't own one, I'm not interested in one.

As for kids having them in school, that's an absolute no-no. Kids don't need something like that to distract them in school. Anyone diagnosed with something like Autism is either so severe they'll be in a school to provide special care so the level of education is different to what most people will be thinking of or if they are low enough on the spectrum (providing the schools have correct level of funding etc) they will have staff that will have worked with these children from a young age to have coping mechanisms so that toys like this are just not required.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Although I guess I can understand a fidget thingy more than I can understand Snapchat. And don't even get me started on Pinterest... Oh here I am rambling on like an old man again

21 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I love when people say crap like this, shows an underlying level of ignorance being covered up by false assertiveness. I know for a fact, in the UK (cannot answer for definite about the rest of Europe) a parent WILL be arrested for smacking a child, as I was arrested when I hit my son for stealing.

Non 'needs' kids weren't even mentioned.

Ignorance has nothing to do with my statement, taking the "smack" part out of context to turn it around for your views is just wrong. Obviously I am not talking about beating or abusing your child.

Standard discipline of your child is allowed, there are laws in place in basically every standard state/government that allow for "spanking" or "corporal punishment". Anything that is excessively harsh or goes into an "abuse" category would obviously be against the law and lead to some type of criminal action.

6 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Ignorance has nothing to do with my statement, taking the "smack" part out of context to turn it around for your views is just wrong. Obviously I am not talking about beating or abusing your child.

Standard discipline of your child is allowed, there are laws in place in basically every standard state/government that allow for "spanking" or "corporal punishment". Anything that is excessively harsh or goes into an "abuse" category would obviously be against the law and lead to some type of criminal action.

Pot meet kettle? As I was responding to a specific portion of your post.

I'm guessing you haven't had experience, or had to live with autism in some form.

(Within that specific field, I'm not talking about the anti social little pieces of disrespectful little turds who are selfish and narcissistic)

21 minutes ago, Brys said:

Although I guess I can understand a fidget thingy more than I can understand Snapchat. And don't even get me started on Pinterest... Oh here I am rambling on like an old man again

Not meaning to go wayy off topic here but do you understand the purpose of Pintrest? I don't use it too often but it certainly can be useful, on the other hand, I'm with you both on Snapchat.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Pot meet kettle? As I was responding to a specific portion of your post.

I'm guessing you haven't had experience, or had to live with autism in some form.

(Within that specific field, I'm not talking about the anti social little pieces of disrespectful little turds who are selfish and narcissistic)

Pot meet kettle? Where did I accuse you of something that I am also at fault for doing?

Anyway, I never said anything about autism... that is an actual real mental condition, so not exactly sure why you are bringing that up.

They're noisy for one, add LEDs to the mix and they're completely distracting for other students. I have one and yes, I enjoy using it when I'm bored, but I can understand why schools don't allow them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Not meaning to go wayy off topic here but do you understand the purpose of Pintrest? I don't use it too often but it certainly can be useful, on the other hand, I'm with you both on Snapchat.

I'm going off topic about pinterest under the spoiler tag :

Spoiler

Well I obviously don't understand it's purpose. I went on that site once, thinking, "what the hell is it ?" and I'm greeted with a login form, so I searched for the small, almost hidden "about pinterest" button. I get an empty marketing sentence that's not describing what pinterest is, like "When it comes to a great idea, you know it when you see it.", and a "join" button. Way lower I find a row with "what's new on pinterest"... I don't care about what's new I want to know what is pinterest ? So yeah I gave up pretty quickly and I still don't know what that thing is... I hate that kind of marketing.

But you're right I shouldn't have mentionned pinterest at all here, it's not the same problem.

Sorry

• Like 1