Pakistan Sentences Man to Death for ‘Blasphemous’ Facebook Post

Pakistan Sentences Man to Death for ‘Blasphemous’ Facebook Post
by Allum Bokhari | 12 Jun 2017

Taimoor Reza, a 30-year old Pakistani man from the Punjab region, has been sentenced to death by a Pakstani court for “blasphemous” posts on social media.

Reza, part of the country’s Shiite Muslim minority, was arrested in 2016 for posting “derogatory content about Sunni Muslim religious leaders and the wives of the Prophet Mohammed on Facebook,” according to the Associated Press. 

Pakistan, despite being a parliamentary democracy, is governed by Islamic Sharia law. Anyone found guilty of insulting religious leaders or Islam can receive the death sentence, although no-one has ever been executed under the law.

[...]

Facebook has reportedly complied with Pakistan’s demands to censor “blasphemy” within the country. According to Pakistani government officials, “almost 85 percent” of “blasphemous” material on Facebook had been taken down at the request of the government.

[...]

In Pakistan, pressure to execute “blasphemers” frequently comes from the grassroots of society, not just from the government. In 2011, a liberal governor of Punjab and critic of the country’s blasphemy laws was shot dead by an Islamist. When the assassin was himself sentenced to death, ordinary Pakistani citizens staged protests in his defence. After his execution, more than 100,000 Pakistanis attended his funeral.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/06/12/pakistan-pandered-facebook-sentences-man-death-blasphemous-post/

So someone speaks his mind and chooses to do so on social media now faces a death sentence.

Where as I am not condoning what he said, perhaps he should have not done it on Facebook... I have never had a Facebook account and can't see any good reason to have one, in fact, stories like these reaffirm my desire to stay far away from them.

15 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So someone speaks his mind and chooses to do so on social media now faces a death sentence.

Where as I am not condoning what he said, perhaps he should have not done it on Facebook... I have never had a Facebook account and can't see any good reason to have one, in fact, stories like these reaffirm my desire to stay far away from them.

Facebook isn't the problem, backward savages running a government are the problem.

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Facebook isn't the problem, backward savages running a government are the problem.

OK, you do make a good point, I was merely pointing out that Facebook (social media in general) seem to make people drop their inhibitions. I guess there should be a message saying "If you wouldn't say it in pubic, don't post it here" but that should be common sense...