Random Device Disconnect Sound Driving Me Nuts

I was using a self-built machine. Suddenly random USB disconnect sounds (the old windows DUH-DUH downward disconnect sound) started occurring (sometimes 3x in a row, other times not for several hours) - I disabled all system sounds and it still continued, even though I didn't notice any USB hardware blips). 

Two months ago, I bought the new Intel NUC7i7BNH, installed Windows 10, and within a few hours the issue suddenly started all over again. Here's what I have done:

(1) updated all drivers with Intel Driver Update Utility
(2) swapped out a wired keyboard
(3) bought a new usb mouse
(4) then triedbluetooth mouse and keyboard
(4) replaced a wired USB hub with a newer model ( thought this was the solution - no sounds for 2 days, then suddenly 4 times today - sontinues continue with or without it running).
(5) disabled all energy saving options in Win 10 power settings
(6) disabled all windows system sounds (in the 1st machine, I even deleted the offending WAV files - still heard them)
(7) disabled onboard audio
(8) updated all drivers and BIOS
(9) ran memory tests
(10) reset (reinstalled) Windows 10
(11) have no network printers
(12) shut down a Synology NAS (sounds continued)
(13) changed internet connection from DSL to cable
(14) bought new speakers
(15) bought new power strip
(16) tried 2 other computers with the same setup.

I receive no error messages in event viewer and nothing shows up in USBDeview. So it doesn't seem to be a USB issue. It MUST be some external hardware, but I have no idea what it could be.

Here's what I have plugged into the USB slots of the NUC:

in the back: (1) the new wired hub (2) an AudioQuest - DragonFly Red USB DAC (sound issue predated this)
in the front: (1) an external hard drive
in the hub: (1) wired keyboard (2) wired mouse (3) connecting wire from battery backup and surge protector (this is also new)
2 speakers plugged into the AudioQuest

The "disconnect" sound (or whatever it is) is coming through the speakers b/c I can lower the volume. I get no hardware hiccops. Usually, the sound is the 2 tone Downward disconnect sound, but sometimes it just seems like 1 tone.

The randomness is what is really frustrating. For instance it was silent all yesterdaymorning, then 3 times in a half-hour, then nothing until this morning - just once - and then suddenly 2 times in less than 10 minutes.

Is there any thing else I may have missed? Aside from this random issue, the computer is great... and I would just like to figure out where the sound is coming from so if possible I can disable it.

I'm thinking it may be some sort of electrical issue b/c I've connect the computer(s) in another part of the house... and never hear the noise.

*I would appreciate ANY direction as this has been very frustrating. Thanks!

Edited by finvarra

25 minutes ago, finvarra said:

I'm thinking it may be some sort of electrical issue b/c I've connect the computer(s) in another part of the house... and never hear the noise.

That could be it. A problem somewhere with that outlet/circut if it doesn't happen anywhere else. You've pretty much eliminated everything else.

Unfortunately, the way my office is laid out, there is no other circuit in the room. Shouldn't the battery backup and surge protector shield such interference,,, or is there something else I can try (short of hiring an electrician to lay new lines)?

6 minutes ago, finvarra said:

Unfortunately, the way my office is laid out, there is no other circuit in the room. Shouldn't the battery backup and surge protector shield such interference,,, or is there something else I can try (short of hiring an electrician to lay new lines)?

Yes, if the UPS is still good, they do have a shelf life as well, but I am sure you checked that. Also short of running extension cords, I can not think of any other way around your situation. have you taken the computer to another room and tried it, just as a troubleshooting method?

Yes, and heard no noise - although the randomness makes it difficult to check definitely (i.e., I can't be in that room all day). The UPS  and battery backup are both new... so it can't be that *happened before I replaced them).

If it was some sort of overload, wouldn't it just trip the breakers? Why the sound - where could it be coming from - why is playing through the speakers?