• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Gunman wounds several at congressional baseball practice in Virginia

Recommended Posts

techbeck    6,968

A gunman opened fire on Republican members of Congress during a baseball practice near Washington early on Wednesday, wounding several people including House of Representatives Majority Whip Steve Scalise before being taken into custody, police and witnesses said.

 

Five people were transported medically from the scene in Alexandria, the city's police chief, Michael Brown told reporters. Two of the wounded were Capitol Hill police who were at the scene, witnesses said.

 

In a dramatic blow-by-blow account, Representative Mo Brooks of Alabama told CNN the gunman was armed with a rifle and appeared to be a white male.

 

Brooks said he saw the man only for a second, and that he was shooting from a chain link fence behind the third base position on the field where the congressional group was holding an early morning morning practice ahead of a game against Democrats this week.

 

"There must have been 50 to 100 shots fired," he told CNN. "I hear Steve Scalise over near second base scream. He was shot," said Brooks, adding he helped apply a tourniquet with his belt to a congressional staffer who was shot in the leg.

 

"One of our security detail was shooting back, but it was our pistol versus the shooter's rifle," Brooks said. "The only weapon I had was a baseball bat."

 

Republican Senator Jeff Flake told local ABC-TV Scalise was shot in the left hip. Flake said the gunman was shot.

 

More.....

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-virginia-shooting-idUSKBN1951M1?il=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+primortal    13,357

My heart goes out to the injured but this was bound to happen with this current administration.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    13,313
7 minutes ago, primortal said:

but this was bound to happen with this current administration.

 

You could at least try to be impartial by not quoting Obama under every post.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+primortal    13,357
21 minutes ago, warwagon said:

You could at least try to be impartial by not quoting Obama under every post.

Sorry deal with it.  And my opinion is based on the evidence that is out there; sorry you're incapable of seeing that...

 

Thanks for going off topic though...

Edited by primortal
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
oldtimefighter    3,070
18 minutes ago, warwagon said:

You could at least try to be impartial by not quoting Obama under every post.

What? People quote Presidents... It's a thing. He also quotes Theodore Roosevelt who was a Republican. We are supposed to be impartial? We are not judges...

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mudslag    8,770
14 minutes ago, warwagon said:

You could at least try to be impartial by not quoting Obama under every post.

 

 

Are you really whining about a sig?

 

 

 

Anyway glad to see no one was killed, clearly this guy needs his head checked. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer    1,562
41 minutes ago, primortal said:

My heart goes out to the injured but this was bound to happen with this current administration.

And how is that?  Remember, these were Members of Congress - not the Administration - that were attacked.

 

This interparty softball game is an annual summer event that occurs EVERY summer - it has nothing to do with who is in the White House.  (The event itself is typically on the National Mall - this was a batting practice event for the GOP; what is telling is that it took place in Alexandria - which is in northern Virginia - hyper-blue turf; their entire government is Democratic.)  If anything, the anger could be overflow from the STATE election in Virginia - which is setting new lows for nasty; this is a normal election cycle for state offices in Virginia - governor, lieutenant governor, General Assembly, etc.)

 

primortal - dial back the rhetoric - or adjust your meds; you're reading way too much into the lack of logic behind this attack.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+primortal    13,357
1 minute ago, PGHammer said:

And how is that?  Remember, these were Members of Congress - not the Administration - that were attacked.

 

This interparty softball game is an annual summer event that occurs EVERY summer - it has nothing to do with who is in the White House.  (The event itself is typically on the National Mall - this was a batting practice event for the GOP; what is telling is that it took place in Alexandria - which is in northern Virginia - hyper-blue turf; their entire government is Democratic.)  If anything, the anger could be overflow from the STATE election in Virginia - which is setting new lows for nasty; this is a normal election cycle for state offices in Virginia - governor, lieutenant governor, General Assembly, etc.)

 

primortal - dial back the rhetoric - or adjust your meds; you're reading way too much into the lack of logic behind this attack.

Splitting hairs I see...

 

The GOP isn't in the best of light since this election and they are starting to ###### a lot of people off and we know there are a lot of unstable people in this country that will do heinous things at a drop of a hat; case in point in what happened today.  I think you smart enough to put the dots together or did you fail that in preschool?

 

Nice that you have to point out that it was done in a democratic state/government is that some type of deflection?  What does that have to do with the actions of an unstable person?  Absolutely nothing.  They only care about the target not the state in which they perform the act.  Nice attempt at deflection.

 

Thanks but no thanks.  There's is plenty logic there in regards to the state of this country if you choose to think about it.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer    1,562
1 minute ago, primortal said:

Splitting hairs I see...

 

The GOP isn't in the best of light since this election and they are starting to ###### a lot of people off and we know there are a lot of unstable people in this country that will do heinous things at a drop of a hat; case in point in what happened today.  I think you smart enough to put the dots together or did you fail that in preschool?

 

Nice that you have to point out that it was done in a democratic state/government is that some type of deflection?  What does that have to do with the actions of an unstable person?  Absolutely nothing.  They only care about the target not the state in which they perform the act.  Nice attempt at deflection.

 

Thanks but no thanks.  There's is plenty logic there in regards to the state of this country if you choose to think about it.

 

 

 

 

primortal - I am saying that the attack ITSELF smacks of a lack of logic, regardless of WHO it is against.  That it is against Congress - and against the GOP in particular - further illustrates that.

I was referring to the Democratic party - not the process.  Further, it is not the first time that politics in Alexandria turned violent; the most recent such example involved the city sheriff's office.  (The city sheriff  does things like operate the city's jail, serve court papers (from summonses to warrants to other sundry court paperwork, etc.)  Violence in interparty politics is nothing to be proud of - so why are you making ANY excuse for it?

I have several reasons for specification about the lack of logic - the GOP is NOT the party beating the drum about collusion (without a lack of data) - if anything, the GOP is the party that is the VICTIM of said lack of data - after all, what party holds the White House?  For all anyone knows, the shooter could simply be several sandwiches short of a picnic - he could even be someone with an axe to grind against Rep. Scalise (a shooting victim) - we know exactly squat at this point.   Speculation without data is a quick way to land yourself in hot water - I'm not going to do that.  Blaming the victim is even worse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    13,953

Hopefully those that were injured will have a swift recovery.  Things like this do happen from time to time (remember not too long ago Gabrielle Giffords was shot).  It is a shame people, be it either they're "crazy" or just over-the-top angry, act out in violence this way.  There is no excuse or justification for their actions...be it here or in any other country.  It really isn't the answer (obviously) ... this people targeted were elected by a majority and are entrusted by their constituents.  Unfortunately, they do have targets painted on their back.

 

However, great response from the Capital Hill Police in preventing more injuries or deaths. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PGHammer    1,562
9 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Hopefully those that were injured will have a swift recovery.  Things like this do happen from time to time (remember not too long ago Gabrielle Giffords was shot).  It is a shame people, be it either they're "crazy" or just over-the-top angry, act out in violence this way.  There is no excuse or justification for their actions...be it here or in any other country.  It really isn't the answer (obviously) ... this people targeted were elected by a majority and are entrusted by their constituents.  Unfortunately, they do have targets painted on their back.

 

However, great response from the Capital Hill Police in preventing more injuries or deaths. 

Exactly, Jim K.  Hate your Member of Congress?  That is what the ballot box is for - you don't need to resort to the "bullet box".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DocM    16,657

Shooter now dead, was one James T. Hodgkinson. FB posts say he was a tabid anti-Trump, anti-Republican, Sanders supporter.

 

This wasn't an an attack on Congress, it was an attack on Republicans at a party team baseball practice.  

 

The left wing assassination fantasies of Kathy Griffin, Snoop Dogg, the Time-Warner 'Julius Caesar' play etc. and those cheering them on all share the blame. They whipped-up the mood and set the stage.

 

Own it, then dial it back!

 

Pres. Trump to speak at 1130 Eastern.

 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/14/steve-scalise-aides-shot-baseball-practice-virgini/?

 

Quote

House Whip Scalise, security detail shot at baseball practice; suspect in custody

 


A gunman opened fire on a group of congressional Republicans practicing baseball in Alexandria Wednesday morning, wounding a senior GOP lawmaker and multiple other people.

Rep. Steve Scalise, Louisiana Republican, was shot in the hip, his office confirmed. Several Capitol Police officers were also victims, as was at least one aide to Rep. Roger Williams. Mr. Scalise, as the House majority whip, has protection by U.S. Capitol Police.

The gunman, armed with a rifle, was reportedly shot by a member of Mr. Scalise’s security detail, who had been hit before returning fire.

Alexandria Police Chief Michael Brown confirmed five people had been taken to area hospitals, but would divulge no other details, calling the baseball field an active crime scene.

Mr. Scalise’s office said he is in surgery at Washington Hospital Center.

“Prior to entering surgery, the Whip was in good spirits and spoke to his wife by phone. He is grateful for the brave actions of U.S. Capitol Police, first responders, and colleagues,” the office said in a statement.
>

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    6,390

lol DocM, playing politics as usual. Wasn't it recently someone shot up a DC pizza joint from some right wing conspiracy? Reality check, there are nutties on both sides.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DocM    16,657

shockz said,

 

Quote

lol DocM, playing politics as usual. Wasn't it recently someone shot up a DC pizza joint from some right wing conspiracy? Reality check, there are nutties on both sides.

 

CNN reports he asked another man present 

 

http://www.syracuse.com/us-news/index.ssf/2017/06/alexandria_shooting_steve_scalise_deliberate_attack.html

 

Quote

 

The suspect allegedly talked to Rep. Jeff Duncan (R-South Carolina) briefly before the shooting began.

 

"Are those Republicans or Democrats out there practicing?" the gunman allegedly asked Duncan, according to CNN.

 

 

Yeah, it was political. YOUR SIDE. OWN IT!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+primortal    13,357
10 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

primortal - I am saying that the attack ITSELF smacks of a lack of logic, regardless of WHO it is against.  That it is against Congress - and against the GOP in particular - further illustrates that.

I was referring to the Democratic party - not the process.  Further, it is not the first time that politics in Alexandria turned violent; the most recent such example involved the city sheriff's office.  (The city sheriff  does things like operate the city's jail, serve court papers (from summonses to warrants to other sundry court paperwork, etc.)  Violence in interparty politics is nothing to be proud of - so why are you making ANY excuse for it?

Why do you have to drag the kitchen sink into every conversation that has no barring on the topic at hand?  What excuse am I making?

 

12 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

I have several reasons for specification about the lack of logic - the GOP is NOT the party beating the drum about collusion (without a lack of data) - if anything, the GOP is the party that is the VICTIM of said lack of data - after all, what party holds the White House?  For all anyone knows, the shooter could simply be several sandwiches short of a picnic - he could even be someone with an axe to grind against Rep. Scalise (a shooting victim) - we know exactly squat at this point.   Speculation without data is a quick way to land yourself in hot water - I'm not going to do that.  Blaming the victim is even worse.

So the current healthcare debacle of the GOP couldn't be a reason? You immediately jump to collusion; isn't that speculation on your part?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gibblets    64
2 minutes ago, DocM said:

shockz said,

 

 

CNN reports he asked another man present 

 

"Are those Republicans or Democrats out there practicing?" 

 

Yeah, it was political. YOUR SIDE. OWN IT!!

Calm down, holy crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wv@gt    2,661

Ill be real curious how Trump speaks on his speech in a few. This will be interesting how he describes his shooter 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DocM    16,657
5 minutes ago, Gibblets said:

Calm down, holy crap.

No, I won't. The left have been whipping their troops up for months; assassination fantasies as entertainment, campus riots etc. and this is one result. 

 

They've forgotten how to disagree without being disagreeable. Bigtime.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gibblets    64
1 minute ago, DocM said:

No, I won't. The left have been whipping their troops up for months; assassination fantasies, campus riots etc. and this is one result. 

19059328_10213339737511929_2682967068515

Then own it, because there are a hell of a lot more right wing terrorism than there are left wing terrorism. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DocM    16,657
8 minutes ago, Gibblets said:

19059328_10213339737511929_2682967068515

Then own it, because there are a hell of a lot more right wing terrorism than there are left wing terrorism. 

Unibomber Ted. K.  was a leftist and so was James Holmes, the Aurora Theater shooter, so check your list.

 

Want me to start letting the other left wingers who were shooters? It's a lot longer list.

 

And besides, this is today. Today the left is whipping up for a fight.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gibblets    64
1 minute ago, DocM said:

Want me to start letting the left wingers who were shooters? It's a lot longer list.

You still need to chill the hell out, because right now, you're acting insane. The shooter is dead, and there are plenty of level headed people on both left and right sides coming together in support of each other. We don't need the extreme right going and making a ###### show out of this. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TPreston    5,389
26 minutes ago, DocM said:

shockz said,

 

 

CNN reports he asked another man present 

 

http://www.syracuse.com/us-news/index.ssf/2017/06/alexandria_shooting_steve_scalise_deliberate_attack.html

 

 

Yeah, it was political. YOUR SIDE. OWN IT!!

 

20 minutes ago, DocM said:

No, I won't. The left have been whipping their troops up for months; assassination fantasies, campus riots etc. and this is one result. 

By the same logic I can just point to any hate crime involving gays muslims or other minorities and blame the right.

Yeah, it was political. YOUR SIDE. OWN IT!!

 

This is a kindergarten level discussion;

Edited by TPreston
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,857

Nothing to see here folks.

 

This is just another responsible gun owner practicing his 2nd amendment rights.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gibblets    64
3 minutes ago, TPreston said:

 

 

 

Yeah, it was political. YOUR SIDE. OWN IT!!

You guys are mental. Such tender snowflakes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.