London van attack: One dead as police investigate incident as terrorism

1 hour ago, Shiranui said:

If he hadn't stepped in, they would have gone medieval on him.
They all showed remarkable restraint under the circumstances.
At least one or two got to put the boots in before the coppers arrived.

And pretty much any group of people would do exactly the same thing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Any minimum would depend on the nature of the crime itself.  Being attributed to terrorism increases the sentence.

As far as I know, they ARE treating this as a terrorist attack, rather than a racially motivated hate crime.  He'll get stiffer sentencing because of that.  Seeing as someone died, he's probably going to get a minimum 15-25 years before parole.

Did someone die because of the attack?

From early reports, an elderly man had collapsed at the scene BEFORE the van hit people around the mosque. I don't know if it's been confirmed yet whether or not the man died before being hit by the van or after. 

1 hour ago, dipsylalapo said:

One died, but the last I heard it was uncertain if the attack killed him or if it was from a known pre-existing condition. The autopsy should clear that up.

12 hours ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

Bummer. He simply said out loud what most whisper.

That comments more on you and your family/friends/peers than anything else really.

12 hours ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

Bummer. He simply said out loud what most whisper.

This comment makes you no different that the Islamist you despise. I can't even comprehend how you find yourself different than them. You make no distinction between Muslims and the Islamist. Detestable.

9 hours ago, Shiranui said:

If he hadn't stepped in, they would have gone medieval on him.
They all showed remarkable restraint under the circumstances.
At least one or two got to put the boots in before the coppers arrived.

tbh mate im as laid back as they come but id have kicked the crap out of him too.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2017 at 4:02 PM, Rippleman said:

Question: what is a common number set by a judge on crimes of intentionally premeditated and planned murder? Is it legal for a judge to say 100 (or any number where it is obvious the person will die in prision)?

nah, 25years is classed as "life" with parole a possiblity, dependng on case and behavior whilst serving the term in the UK.

Unless they are deemed a having an extreme mental disorder and a would pose a danger to the public, then they can be interred in a secure mental "hospital" indefinitely.

Thats what they used for the Moors murderers, they died in prison with no chance of parole.

15 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

And pretty much any group of people would do exactly the same thing.

I wasn't using "at least" as a determiner.

7 hours ago, Mando said:

nah, 25years is classed as "life" with parole a possiblity, dependng on case and behavior whilst serving the term in the UK.

Unless they are deemed a having an extreme mental disorder and a would pose a danger to the public, then they can be interred in a secure mental "hospital" indefinitely.

Thats what they used for the Moors murderers, they died in prison with no chance of parole.

I remember a guy on the news saying he 'doesn't want to hear that in the news later' and that he should be prosecuted as any terrorist caught alive should.

I also give kudos to the Imams who stepped in and made sure the terrorist wasn't beaten to death.

4 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I remember a guy on the news saying he 'doesn't want to hear that in the news later' and that he should be prosecuted as any terrorist caught alive should.

I also give kudos to the Imams who stepped in and made sure the terrorist wasn't beaten to death.

This is similar to how the serial killer Richard Ramirez, aka 'The Night Stalker,' was captured in California - ordinary citizens ran him down and made a citizens arrest. 

This 'capture and hold' by Muslim clergy is an excellent sign that the melting pot may at last be starting to take hold, and young Muslims need their role models to behave like this - trusting the legal system to do its job. Don't screw it up. Give them a key to the city or some service document to hang on the Mosque wall, a reminder and reinforcement of the idea they are part of the national soup. Then, act like it.

Edited by DocM

On 2017-6-21 at 9:49 AM, dipsylalapo said:

From early reports, an elderly man had collapsed at the scene BEFORE the van hit people around the mosque. I don't know if it's been confirmed yet whether or not the man died before being hit by the van or after. 

Autopsy report released today (lunchtime BBC TV news so no link yet) shows that the man died as a result of the injuries sustained from the van, so it's definitely murder now.