Modern Gaming

Just now, Andrew said:

Wait til you see Train Simulator :p

Ahh, it can't be all that b-WHAT IN THE WORLD?! 6,462 CHF?! After buying all of that you should be able to drive the real deal around!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Slarlac249 said:

don't forgot a lot of so called dlc isn't dlc, it's just locked content already on the disc / game download, remember the far cry 3 bonus missions which could just be unlocked by modifying files.

so there's a real big grey area surrounding dlc, sometimes it's dlc and you actual download something substantial and sometimes it's a few kb...which doesn't really make it proper dlc, i remember bits of dlc on xbox 360 for some game and it resulted in a download of a few kb just to unlock some bonus crap....

it's just a ploy to get you to spend more for basically the same stuff as the standard edition but with some extra junk like a crappy art book, some postcards or some poorly made action figure etc

i've been consoleless for months now, as i can't justify having one when there's only a small trickle of decent-ish console only games, that and the games are just so expensive...

i'm at the stage where i have a decent pc for gaming in pretty much every room in the house now as i've saved money by not bothering with any more consoles or getting a smart tv, which i don't regret. can do a lot more on a pc / htpc than with a big chunky console.

still have pc gaming at heart as always, am still looking out for something to fill the void that battlefield 2142 left.....battlefront just doesn't cut it as dice runined that and i'm not expecting the new game to be any better as they say there's not going to be a conquest mode now....which just sucks.

I referred to such content as ULC back with SimCity (2013) - so far, the only such content that's showed up (CIties of Tomorrow) was, in fact, obvious.  The reason WHY such content exists is because the publishers need add-on content, but we (as users) hate large piggy downloads (Titanfall 2 DLC/ULC, for example).

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the scummiest publisher at the moment, Warner Bros. Middle-earth: Shadow of War has got it all: season pass, multiple pre-order 60$+ editions, pre-order DLC, exclusive content deal with some pizza company, loot boxes - gambling & microtransactions in singleplayer, same microtrotransactions being Pay2Win in multiplayer, and last but not least, profiting off the death of a studio member by selling a character, created after him, as DLC.

Almost forgot Denuvo.

Edited by Luc2k

19 minutes ago, Luc2k said:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the scummiest publisher at the moment, Warner Bros. Middle-earth: Shadow of War has got it all: season pass, multiple pre-order 60$+ editions, pre-order DLC, exclusive content deal with some pizza company, loot boxes - gambling & microtransactions in singleplayer, same microtrotransactions being Pay2Win in multiplayer, and last but not least, profiting off the death of a studio member by selling a character, created after him, as DLC.

Almost forgot Denuvo.

yep, while I enjoyed shadows of Mordor, im hesitant to invest in the new one due to all the items youve listed.

I don't mind preorder bonuses etc, unless they impact the game. If you produce a game on a pay to play model, it's really scummy.

gahh i despise f2p games as they just make them utter garbage as they cripple them with p2w stuff...they aren't free really as you can't enjoy them fully as you have to buy all the good stuff..

what pees me off about dice is people keep defending them, saying it's all EA, yet if they bothered reading up on stuff, they'd find out they purchased dice around the time of bf2142, dice is EA that's whey they have been refered to as DICEA or EADICE for the past few years...that's when it all went downhill they made bad company 1 but only for consoles and it looked pretty good (the mp part although they had to re-add conquest through dlc which was just dumb) the campaign was just awful, then when the second game came out the downward turn was in full swing (when a series goes multi platform, you know it'll turn out crap as it gets dumbed down), bizarrely bc2 had worse mp maps than bc1, they even ported a few bc1 maps over but ruined them, small, chokepoints everywhere, then they cancelled the last dlc on pc as well as bf1943 on pc because they were working on bf3 which turned out terrible...

.....again with the puny maps (large looking like bc2 but crappy small playable areas) with not enough flags and in awful layouts, worst thing was the art direction. the campaign was 100% forgettable as it was with bc2/1.

Things improved slightly in bf4 but the the crappy map layouts remained and so did the annoying art direction (new colour filters) and the stupid fetish with the orange lines and crap music which sounded like a fart machine.

I made the mistake of buying bf4 in thinking it has to be better than 3 right? had to be!!! soon got bored after the first few dlc and bugs remaining unfixed.

skipped hardline as it jumped the shark....cops in a battlefield game? w...t.. atfer that i purchased battlefront (stupid...stupidddd) and yep...was nothing like the originals

no instant action or galactic conquest, hardly any vehcles, railed AT-AT's, stupid tokens to get vehicles, no jumping in one in a hanger and the fail list continues on and on.....

dice even said at one point the frostbite engine is pretty complex and is hard to fix bugs on....really? why did they create an engine they can't manage properly?

i think the worst thing about bf3 was the knife, just as it was in bc2, you appeared to teleport/lunge to an enemy to kill then and this was not right close to them, it became the trolls weapon online (see youtube) with players thinking they were awesome because of all the knife kills.

sure they released the crappy skirmish mode for battlefront after all the complaints but then discarded it like a used tissue and annouced the sequel....it's like they couldn't be bothered to support the game.

let's total up the list of games since it all went to hell, 7 games have been relased since the last "real" battlefield game (includes battlefront) 7! and they still haven't learnt from their mistakes.....

and now they say they aren't even having a conquest mode in battlefront 2, it's like they enjoy pissing over games they are remaking by tossing away everything that made them great. (basicially what ubi did to far cry, it's now just *far cry in name only, same recycled garbage again and again...)

*i don't really like open world games....

I only like open world games where there are several maps that all look different but are each pretty open, a balance you know, bit of everything (like STALKER, you get a big map on paper but it's actually differen't seperate maps that you travel to and from through doing missions, that way it doesn't get boring as you are going to different places and doing different things.

I think games that have one big map are just lazy, it seems like an excuse to create a game world that looks awesome in trailers (watch dogs, ghost recon wild lands but when you play it you find out it's mostly empty, kinda like what gta 5 turned out to be, way too much empty space and not enough variety, also you'd think from a next gen game you'd at least get to go inside many of the buildings but 99% are just there for decoration, once your done with the main story the game is basically a dead shell, the only thing keeping it going is gta online and mods which sadly only add vehciles and cosmetic stuff, bascially the same stuff we got for all the previous gta's.

at the moment i'm giving the new wolfensteins another try but am finding the scripted scenes get in the way of what i want to do....blast some nazi scum :p 

not sure why they thought that adding in all the story guff was needed in a game that's supposed to be a rebooted classic shooter...then again i think "reboot" is the reason for the silly additions, shame they didn't add a skip option for the scripted cutscenes, you can skip the movie cutscenes but not the ones were you can look around...

that's the kind of gaming i've returned to, classic shooters, reinstalled doom, heretic, hexen, heretic 2, hexen 2, quake 3, quake 2 etc

got hours of gaming out of them...i quite enjoyed the new doom but the area lockdowns was a bit lame...at least it's not riddled with cutscenes like wolfenstein no / ob.

i think i've ranted enough for now...i'm off to blast some demons etc..

I think it's got to the point where games are cash cows, theirs a big enough audience where even if you churn out the same game year after year enough people will buy it.

Not only that but big franchises like Call of Duty are essentially selling you the same game twice. You buy for game for £40+ then a month or two after launch if your an online player you find the pool of online player is split in half, as a map pack has been released for £10-15. Some people you know will purchase that map pack, so then you can't play with them unless you also buy these map packs (or they can't play their new maps), then before you know it 4x map packs are out and you have paid as much as you did for the game to get a couple of additional multiplayer maps.

These maps we're probably cut from the final game anyway, we have seen this with Gears of War 3, a developer build of that leaked around June 2011 which contained two finished multiplayer maps which were not released with the game in September 2011, but later as DLC...

Back in the 90's / Early 2000's when you purchased "Expansion Packs" for games like Age of Empires you were essentially getting a new game with so much content. Multiplayer maps back then we're released for free by the developers or as free community map packs, containing the best user created maps from that year (Unreal Tournament was a good example of this). It wasn't always about money, but community too.

I feel games used to be created with passion, these days its all about how much money you can get out of your customer base. It's not often any of the big studios will release something new and innovative.

However - Something I have really enjoyed this last year is Pokemon Go, I mean what a totally new an innovative game which works perfectly with what the Pokemon franchise is all about.

Mobile gaming in real world locations with real people is something that's never really been done before (With the exception of Ingress which kinda paved the way for Pokemon Go). I must be honest I never expected to enjoy a mobile based game, or be going outside at 11pm to catch a rare Pokemon up the road from me. However it sort of becomes a competition with people you know playing the game to get the rare Pokemon first, or finish the Pokedex.

I think Pokemon Go is the first game I have truly enjoyed playing for a fair few years now, i'm sure ill get some stick on here for that but hey :p

I've seen people of all age groups out playing it, from parents with their kids to people in their 50's and 60's, even couples out playing it. Everyone who's playing is generally friendly and respectful of each other. It actually surprises me just how many people are still playing it today in our local town. We have a Facebook group for people playing in the local area, which has over 1000 members, i'd say several 100's of those are active on a regular basis. Surprisingly most people I see out playing it are in my age group 25-35, so it's nice to randomly bump in to like minded people.