• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

iPhone SE question

Decebalvs Rex    87

Hello.

I have some questions regarding my new iPhone SE 32GB. I bought it 5 days ago, new , on two years contract from my carrier.

One night ago, everything was working alright until in the morning , when I found my charger tip really hot and and the phone turned off .

It won't turn on, can't hard reset it, it won't charge, its dead. 

My carrier asked me to TURN OFF Find my iPhone feature from iCloud before sending the phone back. Will this suffice if it will eventually start up and be repaired?

I have to mention that I removed the device from iCloud My Devices Lists but I didn't ERASE it from find my iphone. Now that its not there anymore, I can't erase it. Will they be able to erase or repair it? (software lock-wise).

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Decebalvs Rex

farmeunit    658

You just need to disable from iCloud for them to repair it.  Not remove from phone.

• Like 1

Nick H.    9,703

I believe the carrier is asking you to remove the phone from the iCloud account so that they can just give you a brand new device now, and when they have fixed the one you send in they can resell it. It's the second time in about a week I've heard about a carrier asking the user to do this before they will step in, and it's the only thing I can think of.

You don't need to erase the device. They will do that themselves. What they cannot do is remove the device from your iCloud account (I guess.)

• Like 1

Decebalvs Rex    87

Thanks a lot. The only things I did were to disable Find my Iphone and remove it from my Devices. I am curious about Apple 's policies though.

Are they going to replace my phone with another one (same colour, storage and type) ?

I would be upset to have my brand new device repaired and sent back to me.

Are carriers allowed or authorized to repair my device without sending it to apple? (I do have an Apple Store in my capital city).

The charger tip wich goes in the phone was really hot while the phone was cold. Should I consider replacing my charger aswell?

Nick H.    9,703
5 hours ago, Decebalvs Rex said:

Thanks a lot. The only things I did were to disable Find my Iphone and remove it from my Devices. I am curious about Apple 's policies though.

Are they going to replace my phone with another one (same colour, storage and type) ?

I would be upset to have my brand new device repaired and sent back to me.

Are carriers allowed or authorized to repair my device without sending it to apple? (I do have an Apple Store in my capital city).

The charger tip wich goes in the phone was really hot while the phone was cold. Should I consider replacing my charger aswell?

I would be surprised if you got the exact same device (i.e. your phone that you send in.) However, they would be silly to not give you a phone with the same specs and colour customisation as the one you hand in.

Regarding the charger, I have no idea. If it were me then I would take the charger with you and make sure you tell them about what you noticed. They might take it from you and give you a replacement to be sure.

• Like 1

farmeunit    658

Even Apple will ask for the device to be removed from Find My iPhone.  I have had to do this for iPads and phones.  We also had to remove it to activate new phone with Sprint.

As for specs, they will probably just exchange phone for new one, but they should be identical.

• Like 1

Decebalvs Rex    87

Sounds great! Thank you both for the info!