Problems logging onto Server 2012 R2

Good morning,

I am having some serious issues with my newly installed server 2012.

when it boots up to the screen that says "Press Ctrl Alt Delete to log on" Nothing happens.

Its not my keyboard which works in the bios and at the recovery console disc options.

I cant even remote desktop into it.

But all of the computers attached to it can still log on to it to see the shared drives.

I figured its a windows update issue seeing as it worked until it updated.

but now i have even gone through and uninstalled all the hotfixes and i still cannot log on to the machine...

what is the deal, I see online that there are some issues with server 2012 and updates but at this point how can i go back??

It's acting like its frozen on the log in screen, no keyboard or mouse activity.

But as i said, user can still access the data from a workstation.

Edited by AOXOMOXOA

I had similar issue with a Windows 7 machines.  I would be interested to hear the solution.  It prompted me to restart machine and then I never could get logged in again.  

in the bios, is legacy USB enabled? Ive seen a similar issue in 2008 R2 and 2k12 R2, keyboard works fine in bios and in setup, but when at logon, no dice, it isnt a Lenovo X series server is it? also make sure its connected to an USB 2 port if you have one. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AOXOMOXOA said:

it wont let me, gives me a message about installing a license, which i allow it to do and then it kicks me out.

Would be nice to know the exact error, might help determine what is going on.

I have this issue sometimes on my server when I switch the keyboard USB port on the KVM. Usually giving it a few seconds to a couple minutes allows it to reconfigure the driver, it then normally starts working. As @Mando pointed out, make sure you're not plugged into a blue USB 3.0 port, ensure it's a black USB 2.0.

Not being able to remote in doesn't have anything to do with the kb imho.. His error message is about a license, he's stuck there.

47 minutes ago, Dutchie64 said:

Not being able to remote in doesn't have anything to do with the kb imho.. His error message is about a license, he's stuck there.

It has a lot to do with it.

1: A license isn't going to prevent the mouse/keyboard from working

2: If he could RDP in he might be able to look at device manager or see event viewer to find out what is going on.

Among other things.

there is no error, The mouse and keyboard don't work,

lodging in remote desktop wont let me in.

after it asks to install the license i do it and then it goes away and wont log me in, im not getting an error unless you count the message that i cannot connect to the server.

when i try to connect remote desktop i get the following, I allow the license to install and when remote desktop comes up its just a black screen.

and then that also goes away and will not connect at all.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

2 hours ago, xendrome said:

Would be nice to know the exact error, might help determine what is going on.

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

Any chance this machine has HP Intelligent Provisioning installed? 

This is a home built box, not an HP so there is no HP software installed

its not, it was caused by windows update. there was nothing else and its a fresh install.

but thanks for the reply,

considering this is just a file server.

i'm either about to reinstall server 2012 and just disable windows update.

or maybe go with 2016. IDK.

I'm super frustrated.

I dealt with this all night and all day. Nothing online has helped.

time to start over,

all the important data is on my shared drives so no loss other than time.

its not, it was caused by windows update. there was nothing else and its a fresh install.

but thanks for the reply,

considering this is just a file server.

i'm either about to reinstall server 2012 and just disable windows update.

or maybe go with 2016. IDK.

I'm super frustrated.

I dealt with this all night and all day. Nothing online has helped.

time to start over,

all the important data is on my shared drives so no loss other than time.

I just want to add so people dont keep offering advice that I have started the redo process.

so yeah this issue will be gone shortly.

thanks though.

1 minute ago, xendrome said:

Boot up into a command prompt/repair console and uninstall the latest KBs issues for Windows Server 2012 R2 using "wusa /uninstall /kb:123456"

17 updates listed here - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms16-jun.aspx

But I have already uninstalled all of the updates, not just that one.

51 minutes ago, AOXOMOXOA said:

But I have already uninstalled all of the updates, not just that one.

You uninstalled all 17 of them? If you did, then it wasn't an update that caused it. Likely something else, and the reboot for update install triggered it.

1. why not click the checkbox that reads: "Don't ask me again"??

2. sometimes when RDP-ing, i see a black screen in the RDP window. i'll just click the minimize/maximize button and the window will appear as normal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

1. why not click the checkbox that reads: "Don't ask me again"??

2. sometimes when RDP-ing, i see a black screen in the RDP window. i'll just click the minimize/maximize button and the window will appear as normal.

Wait so I thought the certificate was coming up after he logged into RDP, is he talking about the self-signed cert warning when you RDP into a server? If so, that stumped him? Then he is in over his head on this one, they need to hire a proper IT person for this business.

1 minute ago, xendrome said:

Wait so I thought the certificate was coming up after he logged into RDP, is he talking about the self-signed cert warning when you RDP into a server? If so, that stumped him? Then he is in over his head on this one, they need to hire a proper IT person for this business.

a cert is not required to RDP, so that's what has me confused.

Why is the cert named SERVER and where did it come from?

I believe he has that certificate warning because the rdp is not signed. There are two options, sign it using a certificate trusted by the client or set your client up to connect without warnings. This is a home box and not something for a business right?

According to microsoft you can do the following 

Start “GPEdit.msc” and navigate to “Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Credentials Delegation”

Open the policy “Allow Saved Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication” (or “Allow Delegating Saved Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication” for Windows 7)

Select “Enabled” and click on “Show”

Enter the server where you want to connect to with the stored credentials. 

You’re allowed to use wildcards, so I entered " TERMSRV/* ” which covers any server

Exit the Policy Editor, close the other screens and run “gpupdate /force” at the command prompt (elevated cmd may be required)

test your changes to the local policy by establishing a connection again, choosing save password and then connect.

Log off right-away and open the RDP connection once more to confirm it saved your credentials.

And, of course, Tick the "Don't ask again option on the security warning."

23 hours ago, Circaflex said:

I believe he has that certificate warning because the rdp is not signed. There are two options, sign it using a certificate trusted by the client or set your client up to connect without warnings. This is a home box and not something for a business right?

Start “GPEdit.msc” and navigate to “Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Credentials Delegation”

Open the policy “Allow Saved Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication” (or “Allow Delegating Saved Credentials with NTLM-only Server Authentication” for Windows 7)

You’re allowed to use wildcards, so I entered " TERMSRV/* ” which covers any server

Exit the Policy Editor, close the other screens and run “gpupdate /force” at the command prompt (elevated cmd may be required)

test your changes to the local policy by establishing a connection again, choosing save password and then connect.

Log off right-away and open the RDP connection once more to confirm it saved your credentials.

that is correct, home server box not a business, someone asked why it says server? because that is the name of the server.

But anyways this all doesn't matter anymore because i wiped the machine loaded server 2016 and now everything is working perfect.

And by the way, dong this from another machine on the network to attach t the server with RDP works just perfect.

Its not over my head as someone without anything constructive to say said.,

And no its really not, when it works it just works.

23 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Thank you for a real answer, I appreciate you taking the time to actually answer with a solution to try,

Thank you. really.

I wish more people on forum sites were helpful, the way it used to be. 

Now most people just hide behind there keyboards and tell people how stupid they are for even having a question.

• Like 2

On 2017-6-25 at 7:14 PM, AOXOMOXOA said:

when i try to connect remote desktop i get the following,

I know the server and always just click Yes