• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Rainbow Armpit Hair Is the Latest Creepy Feminist Trend

FunkyMike    1,862

According to marketing research company Mintel, one in four ladies is growing out her armpit hair.

But while those women are making some sort of inscrutable stand for women’s liberation, they aren’t the wokest members of the no-shave club. According to Cosmopolitan, in order for your pit shag to have a true social justice impact, it needs to be dyed the colors of the rainbow— literally.

Are you ready for unicorn armpit hair, America?

unicorn.png?w=619

If rainbow peach fuzz under some woman’s shoulder is the “most amazing thing you’ll see all day,” you really need to get out more.

That said, Cosmo, typically a publication rife with body grooming advocacy in the form of bizarre sex advice from men you’d never date, is very serious about giving yourself a monochromatic dye job.

The idea came from Caitlin Ford, an admittedly talented colorist, who has created some incredible multi-colored coifs, all on display on her Instagram. But Cosmo says that, unlike Ford’s normal, labor-intensive hairstyles, dying your pits is as simple as bleaching out your grown hair, grabbing some Manic Panic off the shelf in all of the necessary colors, and painting a tiny rainbow in your armpits.

Rinse, dry, wash, and make major strides for feminism by breaking down the societal stigma against body hair with your “subtle political messaging.” Or something

If you do decide to chase the rainbow, though, be aware that the message may not get across as coherently as Cosmo wants you to believe. Although rainbow armpit just became a thing literally today, Miley Cyrus and others have ben trying to make colored armpit hair a thing for some time now.

miley.png?w=619

Women have been loathe to jump on that bandwagon, even as cheap millennials are eschewing the traditional razor and soap treatment.

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/rainbow-armpit-hair-is-the-latest-creepy-feminist-trend/

DocM    16,667

Providing the collar and cuffs match...

• Like 3

techbeck    6,974

Better than the plain dark...still gross

Slugsie    1,123

If a woman doesn't want to shave her pits, good for her. I don't shave mine and no-one bats an eyelid. If they then want to go one step further and dye them interesting colours, again, good for them. Their choice. If you don't like it don't do it.

How many men shave their pits?

• Like 2

+Human.Online    8,706

This has been around for ages, it's not recent by any means.

And so yeah, look - great, I feel women should be in control of their grooming rather than curtailing to the demands of a male dominated society.  But come on, this ISN'T that - this is a social media fad that pretends to be about female empowerment.  I feel that the damage it does is more harmful than just going with the flow: it instils this idea that these "movements" mean anything of any value, that liberals will jump all over and feel some sense of victory where none actually exists.

However, the labelling it as "creepy" is once again the male dominated media that has (since the beginning of time) shown a bias that pushes any femininity that doesn't cater to men's needs deeper into the hell that it suggests all women spawned from.

And I say all this as a liberal.

Edited by Nefarious Trigger
  • Like 1

LostCat    1,386

Shrug.  If people want to do it more power to them, don't care what gender they are.

• Like 2

+Red King    2,466

My advice is to stay away from such women.

dipsylalapo    1,836

Is the whole rainbox thing anything to do with being a feminist?

From my understanding, growing arm pit hair is for feminism, dying it colours of the rainbow is about pride. 

Edit - seems it's connected, huh who'd have thunk it.

• Like 1

+Human.Online    8,706
13 minutes ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

My advice is to stay away from such women.

Prefer men?  It's 2017 so shrugs...

+Red King    2,466
Just now, Nefarious Trigger said:

Prefer men?  It's 2017 so shrugs...

My advice is stay away from men who color their armpit hair and call themselves feminist as well.

• Like 1

+Human.Online    8,706
1 minute ago, J. X. Maxwell said:

My advice is stay away from men who color their armpit hair and call themselves feminist as well.

They are a special breed ;)

• Like 1

FloatingFatMan    19,184
2 hours ago, Slugsie said:

If a woman doesn't want to shave her pits, good for her. I don't shave mine and no-one bats an eyelid. If they then want to go one step further and dye them interesting colours, again, good for them. Their choice. If you don't like it don't do it.

How many men shave their pits?

As long as they're clean, who cares if they're hairy or not?

• Like 1

+Human.Online    8,706
2 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Completely agreed.  We have this image of shaven areas shoved to us all the time, as if we want women to look like pre-pubescent girls.  It has ZERO to do with cleanliness, but we've sold women on this idea.

Slugsie    1,123
24 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Yup, pretty much this.

+Human.Online    8,706
15 hours ago, FunkyMike said:

wokest

Just noticed this.  WTF?  It's not a word, stop using it right now!

Definite warn ;)

PsYcHoKiLLa    2,473
2 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

Just noticed this.  WTF?  It's not a word, stop using it right now!

Definite warn ;)

Correct, it's wokestness or wokestocity :D

• Like 1

+Mirumir    5,636

Kinky.

9/10 warwagons