Professor Under Fire for Saying Otto Warmbier ‘Got Exactly What He Deserved’

Just now, shockz said:

I'll spell it out, in this topic, we're talking about an American and his death, and how it resulted. Maybe now, you can better understand why you're wrong. If you can't figure that out, well, not my problem.

And let me spell it out: No we aren't.  We were, but the conversation evolved - as I've said once but you failed to grasp.  If you can't figure that out, well that IS your problem.  Can you now understand?  Go on, just try!

2 minutes ago, shockz said:

I'll spell it out, in this topic, we're talking about an American and his death, and how it resulted. Maybe now, you can better understand why you're wrong. If you can't figure that out, well, not my problem.

I think NK  hates everybody. So I personally wouldn't want to be any kind of white going into NK American or otherwise.

2 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I think NK  hates everybody. So I personally wouldn't want to be any kind of white going into NK American or otherwise.

They've "relationships" on and off with China, Russia and a few others.  America is the main focus of their ire and propaganda.

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

I believe  it wouldn't take much over there to land you in jail.

It doesn't really take much to land one in jail in the US either... Wasn't there a story about some teens that got arrested a couple of days ago for selling bottled water without a permit?

• Like 1

Just now, 300z said:

It doesn't really take much to land one in jail in the US either... Wasn't there a story about some teens that got arrested a couple of days ago for selling bottled water without a permit?

Well he won't be put to death over it. If you are selling liquid in public, you may want to check to see if you need a permit.

Just now, warwagon said:

Well he won't be put to death over it. If you are selling liquid in public, you may want to check to see if you need a permit.

Right, because the police in the US never "fear for their lives" over just about anything... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, warwagon said:

However, the US has put people in prisons without trial or any timescale for review, some of whom have died.  And let's not even mention extraordinary rendition.

Nobody has any high ground here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 300z said:

Right, because the police in the US never "fear for their lives" over just about anything... 

Seeing how Black people thought it would help their cause, by just walking up to police offers and shooting them,  I can see why.

• Like 1

Just now, warwagon said:

Seeing how Black people thought it would help their cause, by just walking up to police offers and shooting them,  I can see why.

I agree with your sentiment but... "some Black people"

Just now, Nefarious Trigger said:

I agree with your sentiment but... "some Black people"

Correct "some" ... but now that just made offers more nervous with a gun. I'd be more nervous too. Which results in them reacting to little things more than before.

8 minutes ago, 300z said:

They were detained until their parents arrive.  Not arrested. 

Just now, warwagon said:

Correct "some" ... but now that just made offers more nervous with a gun. I'd be more nervous too. Which results in them reacting to little things more than before.

That does speak somewhat towards the low level of training (including mental) that these cops are being given. 

21 minutes ago, Nefarious Trigger said:

However, the US has put people in prisons without trial or any timescale for review, some of whom have died.  And let's not even mention extraordinary rendition.

Nobody has any high ground here.

Cripes these days if I was black I'd be afraid of the cops just shooting or detaining me for no friggin reason at all.

Some of the stuff going on lately is just stupid even by US standards.

5 hours ago, warwagon said:

Well, I really do think the next person who goes there really does deserve it because now goes like this.....

Lets hope so - in that case, it would be Dennis Rodman.  NK would be helping the planet out by cleaning the gene pool - its been p*ssed in too many times.

In a way, the professor is right. NK has a thriving western tourist trade going, the majority of whom are not stupid enough to flaunt the rules and vandalise government property. If you go there, take the ###### and get caught, then yeah you kind of expect retaliation. The guy shouldn't have died over it, but then he should also have known better. 

I'm quite interested in a visit to NK myself, it's a fascinating and beautiful country, run by a bunch of complete plonkers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, warwagon said:

That's the thing though, dumb #### in NK isn't the same as dumb ###### in your home country. Just look at what happened to him, and he died for it. I believe  it wouldn't take much over there to land you in jail. Wouldn't surprise me if what landed you in jail was something you without even realizing it.

I'm not that scared of the world.  That could happen in nearly every non western country.

9 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

You could be the most well behaved visitor to NK ever, and they still might just decide to grab you and sentence you to 15 years hard labour on some invented charge, just to flex their muscles at the USA.  Just ask Otto, I'm sure he can verify tha... Oh, wait...

I know.  You would certainly pick your time to go, and I've missed that boat thanks to Trump being a super dick about NK.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, warwagon said:

Common Sense

Common sense tells me not to visit a country that my own nation is technically at war with (or has a really bad rep.)

Of course, the case of Warmbier in NK was a type of a show trial. But I don't think his death or poisoning were intentional on NK's part.

P.S. I won't go to the western Ukraine (although I love both Kiev and Odessa) even if someone paid me until the nazies have been exterminated there.