Xbox One X

2 minutes ago, George P said:

There will be more going on now that they're starting to push out a new version of the OS and we get more info about future games.  I have the X myself and I love it, super quiet and looks great.

It's funny how distinct the Xbox One gaming eras are.  The original X1 games still look crap.  The newer ones looked decent though they still don't measure up to PC standards.  And the Xbox One X enhanced games look amazing.

I kinda wonder if there's more yet to come, but either way it amused me.

1 minute ago, dwLostCat said:

It's funny how distinct the Xbox One gaming eras are.  The original X1 games still look crap.  The newer ones looked decent though they still don't measure up to PC standards.  And the Xbox One X enhanced games look amazing.

I kinda wonder if there's more yet to come, but either way it amused me.

The original X1 and PS4 are just way too underpowered from the start compared to where PC hardware was at that time.    At least now the X1X brings the bar up a bit closer to the PC and we can all benefit in the end.   Only limiting factor now is the CPU but it sounds like MS did a good job at offloading much of the work from the CPU into dedicated hardware.    The next round of consoles should give us solid 60fps though, finally.

32 minutes ago, George P said:

The next round of consoles should give us solid 60fps though, finally.

I must be the only person in the universe who doesn't care.  The quality and general smoothness finally being up to an acceptable level is enough for me. =)

Yeah, 60 would be nice.  But I'm not holding my breath for it.

My gaming PC has been down a few months and yeah, it was a nice machine, but the X1X gives me no strong reason to want to go back to it except games without an X1X update.  (I'll be able to fix it shortly.)

• 1 month later...

I've been playing Forza 1 again since its my crack on consoles and in 4K it holds up amazing. This will last a life time now.

I'm looking at getting through Crackdown 1 & 2 again now also but was waiting for that backwards compatibility to drop. 4K for free is just the icing on the cake.

This is a nice bonus for kicking some life into old 360 games for 4k.

On 3/2/2018 at 12:50 PM, Vandalsquad said:

I've been playing Forza 1 again since its my crack on consoles and in 4K it holds up amazing. This will last a life time now.

Have they fixed the lagginess and awful framerate drops in FH1 BC? It was awful when it first went BC.

19 hours ago, Tidosho said:

Have they fixed the lagginess and awful framerate drops in FH1 BC? It was awful when it first went BC.

I never had any lag or framerate drop on my original one.. On the X but not an issue at all again so might of been fixed up after you played they continually push updates for backwards games.

Some info about Everspace (I'd quote it, but I'd rather not rip from the article) ...sounds good, I'll probably snag it later.

https://wccftech.com/everspace-dev-xb1x-is-a-beast-for-a-console-runs-the-game-at-native-4k-ps4-pro-will-run-at-checkerboard-4k/

And apparently Hellblade is coming to Xbox, which is another title I'd been considering.  I can wait.

https://gematsu.com/2018/03/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-rated-xbox-one-taiwan

11 minutes ago, dwLostCat said:

Some info about Everspace (I'd quote it, but I'd rather not rip from the article) ...sounds good, I'll probably snag it later.

https://wccftech.com/everspace-dev-xb1x-is-a-beast-for-a-console-runs-the-game-at-native-4k-ps4-pro-will-run-at-checkerboard-4k/

And apparently Hellblade is coming to Xbox, which is another title I'd been considering.  I can wait.

https://gematsu.com/2018/03/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-rated-xbox-one-taiwan

I've not followed Everspace much, but I'd love to see a space game that was focused on SP. 

I loved the Freelancer game, but never saw anything similar since. 

1 minute ago, dipsylalapo said:

I've not followed Everspace much, but I'd love to see a space game that was focused on SP. 

Freelancer was amazing! I sunk a lot of hours into a MP game with mods, flying around in my Millennium Falcon :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skiver said:

Freelancer was amazing! I sunk a lot of hours into a MP game with mods, flying around in my Millennium Falcon :D

I'm glad I wasn't the only that thought that. I thought it may have been my youth :p I think I still have the discs somewhere. *Runs off to see if I can get the game on Steam*

@dwLostCatIt would be good to see that game on Xbox, but they seem a way of their goal of 700k for Xbox (currently at around 420k). I hope it happens. 

1 hour ago, dipsylalapo said:

I'm glad I wasn't the only that thought that. I thought it may have been my youth :p I think I still have the discs somewhere. *Runs off to see if I can get the game on Steam*

@dwLostCatIt would be good to see that game on Xbox, but they seem a way of their goal of 700k for Xbox (currently at around 420k). I hope it happens. 

Aah, Freelancer. Would love a remastered version of that with Achievements, although ship movement is way easier with mouse and not controller. Tried Freelancer with USB controller back in the day, was annoying as hell. The LSF commander Jun'ko Zane was pretty hot too, a feisty Asian lioness, she'd be even cuter in 4K!

2 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Seems like some Eastern devs are starting to support Xbox, but only for the western market.  (I mean hell, the first Sword Art Online game on Xbox just came over.  I'm digging it.)

So it could just be they see the moneys and it's easier to do than it used to be, or something.

(As to Freelancer I loved it, which is why I'm impatiently waiting for Star Citizen. :) )

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, dipsylalapo said:

Yeah, need more space SP games, with good narratives etc.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, dwLostCat said:

Seems like some Eastern devs are starting to support Xbox, but only for the western market.  (I mean hell, the first Sword Art Online game on Xbox just came over.  I'm digging it.)

So it could just be they see the moneys and it's easier to do than it used to be, or something.

(As to Freelancer I loved it, which is why I'm impatiently waiting for Star Citizen. :) )

Wait, the very first SAO game is on Xbox now?  How many games are there total?   BTW, It's a mix of money and the fact that it's easier now to port over.   Just look at how many games from Japan which would have been, in the past, only on the PlayStation or something like the Nintendo DS etc, are now hitting steam.   Once you port it to the PC then it's pretty straight forward to get it on Xbox One.   Lots of the smaller JPRGs that were on Vita/DS are hitting steam which is great for me as I'm a fan.

I don't think it's been about ease of porting for a long time, especially since these consoles have never been closer. IMO it's more to do about sales and ROI. It's not viable for many games to remain exclusive in one region or platform anymore with the diminishing returns on gfx and increasing dev costs. These mid-gen upgrades have not set sales on fire like either platform probably imagined or hoped they would. The hardware refreshes will likely become the default SKUs in time, and earlier models retired, but it's not going to prolong 8th gen akin to what Kinect / PS Move tried to do (even if they ultimately failed to do it meaningfully).

You just have to look at some of the Japanese games from last gen which have hit PC. There was absolutely nothing technical to stop Bayonetta or Vanquish being released last gen on PC.

16 hours ago, George P said:

Wait, the very first SAO game is on Xbox now?  How many games are there total?   BTW, It's a mix of money and the fact that it's easier now to port over.   Just look at how many games from Japan which would have been, in the past, only on the PlayStation or something like the Nintendo DS etc, are now hitting steam.   Once you port it to the PC then it's pretty straight forward to get it on Xbox One.   Lots of the smaller JPRGs that were on Vita/DS are hitting steam which is great for me as I'm a fan.

Nah, just Fatal Bullet.  I meant first for the platform, not first game in the series heh :)

Maybe they're still bringing the older ones.  I doubt it, but then I didn't expect this one either.

On 3/13/2018 at 8:47 PM, Andrew said:

I don't think it's been about ease of porting for a long time, especially since these consoles have never been closer. IMO it's more to do about sales and ROI. It's not viable for many games to remain exclusive in one region or platform anymore with the diminishing returns on gfx and increasing dev costs. These mid-gen upgrades have not set sales on fire like either platform probably imagined or hoped they would. The hardware refreshes will likely become the default SKUs in time, and earlier models retired, but it's not going to prolong 8th gen akin to what Kinect / PS Move tried to do (even if they ultimately failed to do it meaningfully).

You just have to look at some of the Japanese games from last gen which have hit PC. There was absolutely nothing technical to stop Bayonetta or Vanquish being released last gen on PC.

Anything on console can be made for the PC without question, that's just the way it is. Money is always the first factor and porting games has a price. That price this generation is smaller now that everything is x86. When talking about returns you factor in such things.  We also have to take into account that from the looks of things the Japanese console market is on the decline, mobile is taking over, those developers have no choice but to bring them to the West I'd  say. 

4 hours ago, George P said:

Anything on console can be made for the PC without question, that's just the way it is. Money is always the first factor and porting games has a price. That price this generation is smaller now that everything is x86. When talking about returns you factor in such things.  We also have to take into account that from the looks of things the Japanese console market is on the decline, mobile is taking over, those developers have no choice but to bring them to the West I'd  say. 

That is nothing new and not some sign of the times. Portable consoles have always done better in Japan. Hell, the Switch is already more than half way to catching up on the PS4 in just 1 year.

Games being X86 does not make them any less pricier to make and / or port. Just one flop can call the end to a studio, which is why there is so many remakes and sequels this generation. The "AA" market has all but gone extinct overnight. You now have "indies" which have gone from $5/10/15 to double in price or "AAA" at $60 and almost nothing in between. The DLC for indie games today costs more than what the indie games from last gen did.

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

That is nothing new and not some sign of the times. Portable consoles have always done better in Japan. Hell, the Switch is already more than half way to catching up on the PS4 in just 1 year.

Games being X86 does not make them any less pricier to make and / or port. Just one flop can call the end to a studio, which is why there is so many remakes and sequels this generation. The "AA" market has all but gone extinct overnight. You now have "indies" which have gone from $5/10/15 to double in price or "AAA" at $60 and almost nothing in between. The DLC for indie games today costs more than what the indie games from last gen did.

You say portable, I say the smartphone is eating away at the market in Japan. While the switch is a huge success, no doubt, I'm seeing, if anything, more pc ports of former DS and Vita titles hit steam.  Then you have older console exclusives being ported to pc trying to find new life, games that already sold well on their original platform at the time but never made it to the West.  I also don't understand why you think the cost of porting a game between x86 based platforms isn't less than in the past when you had to go from totally different hardware? There is no way porting a PS4 game to the PC costs the same, or takes as long, as trying to port a PS3 title does.